Industrial Deals Beauty Textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ariana Grande New LG Stylo 4 | $249.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 72 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on December 25, 2014
Our son loves this! Some may get discouraged since the volcano arrives flat because the way it is shipped in the box. Here is the quick fix, which we learned from forming many a sports mouthpiece over the years:

1) Get two large pots (both large enough to fit expanded volcano inside);
2) Fill each with enough water to cover entire volcano;
3) Heat one pot to close to a boil, the other pot should be filled with cold water;
4) Remove hot pot from heat and dip volcano in hot water for 10 seconds;
5) Remove volcano from hot water (use tongs if you have them) and place on counter;
6) Immediately mold into circular form by rotating two hands around the sides (careful it's a little hot at this point);
7) After molding for a few seconds (like 5) dip into cold pot for 10 - 15 seconds to hold the form.
8) Remove from cold water - and it should look like a round volcano!
9) You may have to repeat the steps a few times - we did (but only because we tend to be perfectionists :-)

Hope this all helps! Happy Holidays folks!
review image
37 people found this helpful
on August 10, 2016
Read the description carefully, this kit was not at all what we expected. We didn't even get all of the naturals in the photo, we got about a fraction of what's shown here. The poster and the booklet were educational and informative and that's about it.
The "volcano" was thin cheap and floppy and wouldn't even stand up. Besides a few plastic beakers, no other materials were included, there was no paint, you have to provide all of the materials to make the volcano erupt. We weren't even able to use the volcano structure so we had to make the eruption in the beaker which wasn't very awe inspiring for the kids. This was a waste of money.
3 people found this helpful
on November 17, 2014
My daughters 6 & 7 loved it. We had a lot of fun experimenting with various formulas for the volcano. We used this kit for about two weeks, studying the poster facts, testing and recording volcano formulas. Once they decided on the best formula and absorbed as many facts as they could they presented it to their dad and little brother.

Tips:
1. Use a thick piece of cardboard or a shoe box lid, cover with foil to waterproof, then tack down the volcano with 4 push pins to keep it stable.
2. Paint is very thin, and you're painting on plastic. Apply thickly. Reapply a few times, drying in between.
3. For additional learning: Google volcano eruption images and let kids (and you) try to identify shapes and eruption styles. Also, YouTube has a great child-safe documentary video on Mt. St. Helen's eruption.
4. Don't add the dye to the volcano until you've experimented a bit, simply due to the mess. We just saved it for our final presentation.
5. For fun, video your children's experiments then let them review the videos to confirm which experimental formulas worked the best. My girls loved this!

Overall, this is a good product. Because of the adjustments I had to make on volcano and the paint not looking like the picture, I give it 4 stars. That said, the information is good. If your children are independent readers this is a kit they can use on their own. Otherwise, you can work with them or read for them then let them record the results after each experiment. This is definitely workable for multiple children, seeing as you can make up as many volcano experiments as you want - our two kids each had their own side of the volcano to paint. I would gauge this kit to be good for kids ages 5 - 12 (curious kids should do more in-depth studies of volcanoes in addition to this kit - books from library, controlled internet research, etc.).
4 people found this helpful
on May 24, 2015
I did this today with my five and seven yr old kids. They loved everything about it: reading volcano facts putting the fact stickers into the booklet, painting the volcano, experimenting with vinegar and baking soda, and especially the effect of the red food color.

I like that the parts can all go back into the box to use again, especially since it was such a big hit.

I don't like the cheap plastic volcano that arrived folded and taped so that I had to devise a way to make it stand in a cone shape. Double sided tape stuck to the inside bottom edge of the volcano and stuck onto an inverted sturdy paper plate worked very well, but I just happened to have that stuff. I also don't like that it comes with paints that don't adhere to the volcano surface. The kids had a great time attempting to paint it anyway. But it either needs a volcano surface that absorbs paint or just leave out the paints.

The kids loved the test tubes and stand, measuring cups and spoon and testing different ratios of vinegar and baking soda.

It was fun. We'll use it again. I recommend it.
2 people found this helpful
on August 10, 2016
This has provided much entertainment to my 5 year old son. We like that everything is reusable, all you have to do is provide ingredients (baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, warm water, and food coloring). The test tubes and holder made him feel like be was really conducting experiments. Only thing I could say it was lacking is paint for painting the volcano but we have tons of paint so it didn't effect us too much and the safety glasses they provide were too small.
on April 11, 2017
We are a homeschooling family and my daughter is dyslexic. This is a wonderful basic elementary science kit and does a wonderful job of explaining volcanoes, and some other earth science concepts. There is some reading but enough activity otherwise that she didn't get frustrated. I highly recommend this.
on March 29, 2017
This was really cute and fun. The box is slighlty flimsy, so be prepared to tape the sides, if you have kids who want to do this over and over. You will get good use it. If you have gentle users. The plastic is lighter than expected. The volcano was really thin. But the kiddos loved it.
on March 8, 2017
We couldn't use the volcano. They fold it in half to fit in the box. It doesn't unfold. We still had a blast
on September 15, 2017
big enough for my son to be entertain
on March 1, 2018
Got my kids pumped up for their after lunch activity and quickly realized that this kit doesn’t even include the ingredients to make the volcano Erupt! HIGHLY DISAPOINTED! Needless to say I should have went to the store and bought/built our own Volcano! Considering I have to go to the store anyways!
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.