Industrial Deals Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(4 star). See both reviews
on January 2, 2012
My 6 year old son loves baseball and before the holiday season asked for a gift that met the following criteria:

* about baseball
* has chapters
* has magic
* is scary

Yes - he really did ask for that, I'm not kidding.

This set of books met these criteria so I bought the first 4 in the series for him as a gift. I've read him the first 2 books so far and they both had some great things going for them which combined to make you feel like you were truly in another time and place:

* great black and white artwork
* use of colorful, old-time baseball language
* colorful, memorable characters

However, this first book ended in a way that felt like it was half way through a book - a book without a conclusion. The combination of this book and Horsin' Around (book 2) would have made for a much better, more complete book, as it clued you in more as to what was actually going on with the story. More importantly, it had a satisfying conclusion (though strong hints of more to come).

My son agreed with me but for different reasons. In both books, he totally loved the old-time language like "daisy cutters" and "pill" and "hurler," etc. He thought both books were good but in the second, the baseball game is far more exciting. He also didn't think the books were all that scary and it took explaining from me for him to understand subtleties like why it's scary to have very rich person aligned against you or in book 2 how gambling and debts can get you into trouble. I think these books are aimed at kids who are a couple years older - though my son totally loves all the baseball parts. It will be nice for him to read these again in a year or two when he's able to easily read books on his own.

In conclusion, I think this series is great for the kid that loves baseball and likes reading series, including my own son. However, just understand that you'll be left unsatisfied if you simply read this as a stand-alone book. You'll need at a minimum to read the first 2 books, and more likely than not you'll want to keep going after book 2 as well.