Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 8,963 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9,465 reviews
on August 15, 2015
The device is decent. I haven't had any trouble with it and it does what it says it does. That's not why I felt compelled to write this review though.

I want to bring to shoppers' attention that a while after I purchased this product, ShopTronics, the seller, emailed me a form letter asking that I write a review of the Electrohome Projection Alarm Clock on Amazon in return for a 1 year extension of the product's warranty. And once I do that to fill in a form on a linked website to get the extension. The form on their website has a spot for the review text, the star rating given, and some instructions include the following lines of text:

"The star rating of your review has no impact on your extended warranty."

but then

"7) Complimentary extended warranties will only be given for reviews that are deemed helpful and constructive. Any reviewer that meets all standards will receive an email notification with the Extended Warranty Confirmation."

which is leading. Now, granted nowhere do they actually say leave them a good review or a review of a certain number of stars. But who would give them a negative or even mediocre review and then turn around and ask them for a gift? And would such reviews be considered helpful and constructive? I don't know. I believe though this is effectively buying good customer reviews with a small bonus, which ought to reflect poorly on them and is against Amazon's review guidelines.

Again, the device is decent, but just keep the above in mind while looking at the reviews.
99 comments| 428 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 28, 2013
This is the perfect alarm clock for me. Truth is, I'm retired and seldom use the alarm part of the clock radio. The primary reason I purchased this model was for its ability to project the time onto the wall or ceiling, and I truly love that feature.

The face of the clock, even on the dimmest setting, is brighter than any I've seen, but for me anyway, it's not a problem. When my eyes are closed it's not bright enough to interfere with sleeping, and when I wake up during the night the light it casts serves as a very useful nightlight.

A fair number of reviewers seem to think the Celsius setting cannot be switched to Fahrenheit, and that SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE. On page 10 of the owner's manual, it's clearly explained - press and hold the << button for 3 seconds - how hard is that?
review image review image
77 comments| 678 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2016
I ordered two of these to replace my alarm clock and my wife's. When they arrived, they were easy to setup (I only had to adjust the time by about 4 minutes). For the price, it seemed like a nice alarm clock. I like that there are two alarms that can be set to buzz or radio. The menus aren't as intuitive as other clocks, but easy enough to navigate. And the time projection was great.
My wife's clock worked flawlessly out of the box, but mine had a dimmer issue. The display is supposed to have a HI-LOW-OFF dimmer setting, but mine was HI-OFF-OFF, no middle option. Well, the HI can light up a room and the off is more of a negative display (turning the screen black and the numbers a dim white). The LOW on the other unit is good for night time viewing, but mine didn't have that.
I contacted the manufacturer instead of Amazon and they had me try a reset, which didn't work. So they sent me another unit right away. I was please with the customer service and how easy it was to handle this issue.
The day the new one showed up, everything went right; however, the blue display was a different shade of blue than the original my wife had. This not only triggered a minor O.C.D. impulse in me, but also caused me to question the overall consistency and quality control of the manufacturer. But I can overlook that as long as the unit functions, and it did.
No joke, 2 hours later my wife's unit started acting up. The radio was only bringing in static and there was a slight "digital" bleeping sound in the background. I tried adjusting the FM antenna with no luck. Then the alarm refused to be set. The button (pressed once to get into the alarm setting function, then pressed and held to start the set) would only let me see what the alarm was already set to, but not adjust it to a new alarm. Out of frustration, I unplugged it and plugged it back in...and the radio worked! Hooray. Clearly not an antenna or location problem, just something inside failed. But the alarm never regained functioning.

Instead of dealing with getting ANOTHER new one from the manufacturer, I just sent everything back.

Great clock if/when it works...but have two out of three fail in 4 days isn't a good first impression. Congrats to the several thousand people who had 5-Star success...but I'm in the 2-3 star approval range for this product. I've attached photos only to illustrate the dimmer settings of HI-LOW-OFF. The pics were taking with a crappy cell phone camera so I adjusted them to attempt to give a more accurate depiction, hopefully that helps SOMEONE, though my advice is to just buy something else entirely.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2010
I've had this alarm clock for almost a month now and for the most part, am pleased with my purchase. The dual alarms are convenient; one time for M-F and another for weekends without having to manually change the setting every week. I know the time is always accurate - I can rest secure even if there's a power failure that I will get up on time. It's compact size doesn't take up too much room on the night stand. The red ceiling projection light is soft and non-disturbing, yet it does the job. The radio is just a convenient plus and use it to listen to weather forecasts.
My one complaint is that the display light for the front of the clock is too bright, even in its 'dim' setting. It lights up my entire night stand - like having a 'night-light' plugged in. It's a bother on sleepless nights. When you turn it away from you, the ceiling projection is sideways. On the bright side, (pun intended), I don't have to switch on a light if I make a bathroom trip in the middle of the night. This bothersome feature is why I gave it a 4-rating instead of a 5. Perhaps Magnasonic can work on improving this feature.
2626 comments| 1,054 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2016
This is an awesome alarm clock! I was actually searching for an alarm clock that would wake me up in the morning with the radio, and I am so happy found this. In addition to having the radio option, it also has a thermometer function for your room. A very useful option in my opinion, is the dual alarm setting; being able to set two separate alarms ensures that I don't sleep thru by accidently turning off the first. And the nap function is very convenient when I feel like taking a quick power nap.
The feature that I was not particularly looking for, but turned out to such an incredible tool, was the Time Projection! It is so awesome to not have to turn towards the alarm clock to see the time in the event of waking up in the middle of night, and wondering how much longer I can stay in bed for lol. My mom saw the projection feature and had me order her one the same day!
on February 25, 2016
This is the second projection clock I've owned. The first one lasted me about 15 years and finally wore out. When I couldn't find another clock like the old one, I turned to Amazon and assumed this one would be good because it is highly rated. I've had the clock for about two weeks and plan to return it tomorrow.

There are two major problems with this product.

1) The projected time is very difficult to read because of the way the digital numbers are designed. It's sort of hard to explain in writing, but the problem relates to the spacing between the lines that make up each number. So the number 3 ends up looking like this:
---
---
----

That's not a perfect rendition, but it's close. As a result, I found myself looking for the the clock because I couldn't read the projection. Totally defeats the purpose of the clock.

The second problem is that the angle of the projection cannot be altered. This is also hard to explain in writing. I'll say it this way: If you have the clock on a night stand on the side of your bed, you cannot project the time directly over where you are lying on the bed without having the projection tilt in a way that makes it unnatural. You cannot spin the projection so that it squares with something that isn't square with the clock. Essentially, if you want to the projection to appear over you in bed, you have to have the clock positioned directly above your head.

The rest of the clock is fine. The radio is very clear and the option to have different screen brightness is nice. But all of that is beside the point. A projection clock is judged on how well the projection works. In this case, it does not work well.
on April 14, 2012
This is my third attempt at a projection alarm clock...My last two worked about a year and died! I found things that I didn't like with both of them, and was thrilled when I found this clock. It seems to have fixed the issues I had with my last two. For instance, the blue light on my last clock was WAY WAY too bright for sleeping! This clock you can dim the light, or set it to do it on its own, how great! Then another problem I had in the past was that when you projected the light onto the ceiling, it would be upside down, so I had to turn the clock around backwards...well then you couldn't ever read the face of the clock! This on has a button that flips the projection 180 degrees! Wahlah, fixed that problem too!

So to sum it up, the face light is adjustable, so no annoying bright light! No more having to jimmy rig the clock and turning it backwards to get the projection to read right side up! I LOVE having the temperature display as well! It is a great feature and seems to read accurate! I also love that it has a radio and DUAL alarms! It was very easy to set by using the instructions. Radio sound is good, for a clock, and has digital channel display as well, BONUS! Lets see, what else do I love about this clock...oh yes, it self sets after power goes out and daylight savings time will never be easier that on this clock, it was a push of 1 button to set it! How great is that! Anyway, as you can tell I really like this clock, my only concen is history repeating itself and it only lasting a year, but time will tell! Oh, and for the money, I think if it only did last a year, I would probably go and purchase the same clock again and again because I LOVE all the features that much!
77 comments| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2015
Malfunction..... No bottom ,can not open the radio , change time or do anything

Update ..as i live outside US and it cost me more to return it i try to loss the screw and see inside it to find the problem what i found is that area of spark and wire for short circuit,!!! and this wire in contact with other part of circuit ,just i put a piece of paper ,,problem gone and work perfectly ...i think it is not new item as written...

On2nd day ... Refund the order, but i lost the mony of shipping to out side US by DHL ... thanks to service
on December 17, 2013
This is my second projection alarm clock. My first one was an Oregon one which is slightly nicer, but also quite a bit more expensive. This Magnasonic one appears to be well made and has a nice display. I like the ability to customize the alarm to only M-F. If there was one thing I'd change, it would be the font of the projection display - the elements are too spread-out and rather cheap looking. No big deal though.
review image review image
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2016
Instead of being swayed by the #1 Best Seller label by Amazon and all the wonderful 5 star reviews that it has. I should have made an effort to read all the 3, 2, and 1 star reviews instead since I now regret buying this clock.

Bought this clock after my last one broke and I clearly miss it since it was a simple and basic alarm clock that did its job well and was easy to operate compared to this one.

For starters the product itself was made way more complicated than it should have been by the manufacturer which according to its own description is rich with features. This clock is not a plug and play type right out of the box, you will instead spend considerable time going thru the instructions manual for its initial set up.

As just about every reviewer as noted, at bedtime the clock display is way too bright even when set on the low dim setting, so you are forced to turn it off at night and rely on the ceiling/wall projection display feature which is also not that easy to read at night to begin with. I cannot stress how annoying and inconvenient it is to have to manually shut off the display every freaking time you go to bed. I never had to do this with any other alarm clock.

The Dual Alarm feature is also unnecessarily more complicated to set up and when you finally get it to work, the alarm volume is too low to get you out of bed and to work on time. I gave up and ended up using my IPhone alarm wake up feature instead.

Another strike is that the clock manufacturer prominently displays one of its features as “Automatically Adjusts to Daylight Savings Time”. Well, guess what? We just had daylight savings time and the clock NEVER “Automatically” adjusted.

The radio as another reviewer noted is not really digital but analog instead which will cause tuning to a station to be off and cause considerable distortion and bad sound quality. And lastly the built in thermostat is completely unreliable.

I’m trying to find my previous alarm clock/radio on Amazon so I can happily get rid of this one.