Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 693 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 779 reviews
on August 13, 2010
I just got this refurb model a few days ago and could not be happier. First, I like refurb units because it means someone had a problem with the unit when new, that now has been resolved. The one I got looks like a factory new model. The one touch dubbing is exactly what I was looking for. I have a lot of old home movies, TV shows, etc... on VHS. I pop in the tape, pop in the DVD ( I use DVD RW but this unit does R+ and R- as well)hit the dubbing button and come back in a few hours. The DVD copy actually looks cleaner than the VHS original. The DVD RW plays in every DVD player I've tried. I think the compatability problems others have talked about is because they didn't finalize the disc. With the DVD RW you don't have to finalize, with other formats you do. I got this unit for under $70 including shipping. The exact unit at a nearby store sells for $149. This is a solid machine that performs just as stated. I think you'll be happy with it.
4343 comments| 473 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2010
I, like most people, have always been skeptical of "remanufactured" products. However, this one is definitely worth the price (and then some).
I was in need of another combo unit when the one I had died and I hadn't transferred all tapes to DVD. I didn't really want to spend that much for a unit, but the "remanufactured" option was within the budget.

I have to say that this was money well spent. Not only to do you get a quality 4-head VHS player/recorder, but you also get a stunningly-versatile DVD player/burner. With 6 months of life left in my old combo unit, the VHS tapes played back with lines through the screen; hardly a quality you want when transferring tapes to DVD. Some of the tapes weren't even played that much, and sure "tape" over time will continue to degrade, but you should still get a decent picture from a tape in good condition. The 4-head VHS player brought the quality of the tape back to life.
Perhaps the best feature I'm crazed about is the DVD chapter editing feature. Of course when you record a program, chapters will automatically be added per your selected setting options (every 5...10...15min) from the menu; however, prior to finalizing your disc, you can review the chapter markers and edit them as you choose (add, move to new location or remove completely); something my old unit didn't do.

Finally, when I purchased this item, shipping was slated for at least 5-7 business days since it was coming from a third-party distributor. I ordered it on 1/25, it was shipped on 1/26 and I received it on 1/27 -- SWEET!! The shipping time enabled me to receive the unit, set it up, review the features and had me recording and dubbing by the weekend.
11 comment| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2014
Yes, it works well. The directions are pretty good, considering that these operations can be complicated. You need to read them carefully. It will make a DVD from a VCR tape. That was the main issue for me. But don't buy the DVDs until you read the directions. There are apparently 12 different types and you need to have the right type depending on the record time and quality that you need. Oh, and the word "Dubbing" means that it's making a copy, DVD to VCR or VCR to DVD.
One more thing, buy an HDMI cable for it. It's not included, but if you can use one with your TV, that will be the only connection you need to make and it's the best of all of them.
on October 2, 2013
Before I purchased this DVD recorder I read alot of reviews. There were many negative reviews but alot of them seemed to be because of operator error. So I decided to go for it & so far I'm satisfied, I've burnt about 10 full dvd's without any faults or technical errors. I dubbed a vhs of my kids to a dvd without fault. And even plugged in my xbox & recorded some halo to dvd. I'm not a tecnical genius but I know enough & this is a very easy device to work with & if you're having issues the instructions are easy to follow.
on April 3, 2012
I'm glad I bought this, even after reading many reviews. It was in brand new condition ( I couldn't tell it was "refurbished" ) It does seem to be a little quirky, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use. I didn't think I needed a TV to do this, but you do, to see whats playing and where to start!
I think I can simplify the instructions for us "NOT so techie people".
This is for VHS to DVD:
1 Put VHS in and get it to the part you want to start copying. Hit pause on the remote.
2 Put DVD in the drawer and wait till its done "loading"
3 Press "dubbing" on the remote. Make sure there is a red dot on the display where the "clock" is. If the red dot is on, its doing the right thing!
4 After the tape is done, let the DVD "COPY" or "transfer" ( I can't think of the exact word)
5 When that is done, press the "menu" button on the remote and scroll down to "finalize" click it, then click yes...your done!!!

April 25, 2012 I wanted to add that the copies are very good. I use Sony DVD's and some rewriteable ones and they work fine
[After copying a tape to DVD and finalizing it (a process repeated at least 5 times, judging from the disc disposal I now see in my waste basket), and employing suggestions from Amazon reviewers as well as the weighty instruction manual, I'm giving up on this product. I waited too long to try out its primary feature--dubbing DVDs from VHS--so it's too late for a return and, as my only remaining VHS player, it's too useful as a player to toss. For your information: Each time I "burned" a tape, I ended up with a DVD containing a Video_RM and Video_TS file. Each time I tried playing these disks in any of 3 machines, I came up with a "Menu" of 2 rectangular boxes: one on top, #1, labeled LSS SPP; and underneath it #2, labeled "Empty Title." I even copied these files to an iMac and tried burning them with several programs. No luck, NaDA, NOTHING. But it's entirely possible that this machine is capable of performing as well as my Sylvania from 10 years ago--a dedicated dubbing machine that proved far more convenient and effective than a computer-crashing software burning program. I may take another look at the Toshiba model. It appears we're so far out of the VHS age that there's insufficient consumer interest for manufacturers to produce this type of machine much longer. But that's not necessarily sufficient reason to spend money on a device that may not work now and certainly will not work in the not too distant future.]

[Update: I decided to give it "one last try." Suddenly the remote has gone completely dead! (Yes, I did all of the battery stuff--many times over.) This was a "refurb"--but a refurbished car with 200,000 miles is still a "wreck waiting to happen." What if the previous owner used the machine to convert a collection of a thousand VHS tapes to DVD? Is there any way a re-seller can "unlog" all of those miles on the machine? Last week "Toshiba Direct," the manufacturer's site, was selling the Toshiba DVR620 VHS/DVD recorder for $120 (this week it's back to $190). But it's bound to go on sale again (enormous discounts can occasionally be found on the manufacturer's site at Tivoli Audio as well as at Canon (last week a new Canon Powershot SX230 was less than $100, including postage and handling and 4 "gifts"). in any case, I've just seen a new Toshiba remote control for the DVR620 going on eBay for $140 all by itself! The prices are simply volatile, erratic, and a bit crazy. Moreover, the technology impresses me less than the Sylvania dubbing machine I purchased 10 years ago from Sears. Finally, except for "cosmetics," there's a disturbing similarity between the Toshiba and Magnavox machines, including the remote switches. I'm beginning to suspect that both machines were outsourced to the same manufacturer and that design, construction, and quality control were deficient in both cases.]

Original Review:
I don't think this is the place to brag about, or regret, what you paid for a product. I would agree that bargain-hunters might be well advised to check out the refurb units from Amazon. I also agree that it's a fine piece of machinery. It'll play your discs and tapes with the quality of the best standard, or non-hi-def, machines. But what about dubbing a tape to DVD? Can it do it? Yes, I think so. But the instructions are erratic and unclear, leaving out necessary steps. From what I've discovered so far, there's the "intuitive" way of dubbing and there's the "intended way."

Intuitive Method: Start the tape, then hit the RECORD button on the remote or unit. Then finalize. If you wish, you can go a step further by activating "automatic finalizing." (I don't recommend it--at least not to begin with.)

Manual's Instructions: 1. Start and PAUSE the tape 2. Hit DVD as well as RECORD, pushing the latter "to the desired recording mode." (it moves by half-hours). 3. Now hit D.DUB. (Apparently it simultaneously releases the tape from "Pause" and starts the DVD.)

I've tried following the instructions and have yet to score a finished DVD. Here are 2 potentially knotty steps: 1. If it's important to push RECORD simply to get the "desired recording mode," doesn't it make sense to go back to pushing the VHS button before pushing D.DUB? 2. Can the machine give me a read-out of the recording time on the tape for use during step 2 (above)? I'm trying to dub a friend's tape and have no idea about its "recording mode" or running time.

My 10-year-old (now "expired") Sylvania machine automatically "read" the tape and made time settings quick and painless. The Magnavox looks more sophisticated and even simpler than my Sylvania model. But I'm finding operation to be anything but a "no-brainer." I learned the hard way that computer software programs for converting tape to DVD are the buggiest of all, quickly eating up all available memory and leading to multi crashes. So a dedicated machine like the Magnavox is definitely the way to go. But is it asking too much for clear and complete instructions about the most basic use of a dubbing machine?

The 100-page manual has no more than 2-3 pages related to the use most of us purchased this machine for, which is dubbing from tape to DVD (can this thing really dub the other direction, as the manual explains. And if it can, who would want to dub their DVDs to tape?) The manual will tell you how to edit camera angles, how to over-write what's on the tape, how to creating sizzling titles--lots of "information." Unfortunately, none of it is good at telling you how to dub a tape to disc. (If I had to do this again, I'd go to the Toshiba site (unlike Magnavox, they're a "real" company, as big as Sony). Compare the instructions in Toshiba's free manual with those for the Magnavox. If the Toshiba's make more "sense", maybe it's not a bad idea to forget about saving a few "cents." Your time and peace of mind may be more valuable than a hundred bucks.)
on August 28, 2013
In case instructions are confusing or you lost your manual like we did this is how it works. Part of these instructions were borrowed from another reviewer but these are more specific.

1. Put DVD in the drawer and wait until it's done "loading". Put remote on `VCR'.
2. Put VHS in and get it to the part you want to start copying. Hit pause on the remote. Now put remote on `DVD'.
3. Press "dubbing" on the remote. Make sure there is a red dot on the display where the "clock" is. If the red dot is on, its doing the right thing!
4. After the tape is done, let the DVD write. When done it will display how much time is on DVD.
5. Press `Stop'.
6. Press `Setup'. Menu will come up. Scroll to `disc edit' and hit `ok'. Scroll to `Finalize' and hit `ok'. Scroll to `yes' and his `ok'.
on March 14, 2011
The unit arrived on time and in good condition. I bought this to enable recording my old VCR tapes to DVD. Read through the instructions and sat down to do some dubbing. After five attempts with only a red circle with a slash as a result, I called the company for help. The first agent tried to help and after about 30 minutes the machine started dubbing. I hung up and restarted the job only to find I could not get the dubbing function to work yet again. Called again and the next agent showed me the "easy way" and I was off and running. In order to dub from VCR to DVD one needs only to set up the Tape at the point where you wish to begin recording and hit pause. Then put the DVD on the title screen and hit stop. Now press the Dub button and you're off. Overall I am very happy with the item and the DVDs actually seem to have better picture quality than the original. 4 star rating due to having to call twice to get the thing working correctly.
on February 13, 2015
This a terrific VHS/DVD combo recorder. In fact, I liked the first one I bouight so much I purchased another one. I am using it mainly to dub my multitude of VHS tapes to DVD. It does a great job of this. Everyone I have done has come out really good. I had another brand of this type of combo player and I had terrible problems of having the audio and video to synch. Almost all were off and unwatchable. I tried this Magnavox and it has been great. No problems at all with the synching. All have dubbed over just fine. If you need something to transfer your old VHS Tapes to DVD I would highly recommend this model from Magnavox. It also does a good job on recording DVD from your TV. I have had virtually no trouble at all doing this. One difference in the two that I have is that one has a front display and the other one does not. I have no idea why one does not. But it does not affect the effectiveness of the overall product.
on June 26, 2012
This VCR/DVD recorder was exactly what I needed. I've already copied over 60 DVD's full of taped shows and old videos (seriously!). The DVD recorder allows you to choose the quality/resolution level so I can tape movies at high quality (HQ) and exercise programs a little lower (SP). I needed a little help getting set up just because I had so many wires coming out of my TV and cable tuner that I got confused. The customer service agent was very helpful, and I think I could have done it on my own if I wasn't rushing. I've tested the DVD's on my Mac DVR player, and they run just fine. Each DVD needs to be finalized when done to work on other machines, which only takes about a minute. I've only had a couple of videos that didn't allow me to dub them, but that apparently is due to intentional encryption by the producer to prevent copying. I'm using Sony DVD + R, if that helps anyone.