Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 11-20 of 276 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 954 reviews
on November 19, 2014
Heavy/dark film but when you really analyze (I would suggest listening to the songs and paying attention to their placement) it is a good movie study. I personally wouldn't have watched it on my own. It was assigned for a theology class where we read it with Ecclesiastes. Reading Exodus 8 wouldn't hurt either (though ironically I learned the association wasn't the writers initial intention).
on October 12, 2012
I loved reading the reviews on this one. Some really loved it, others really hated it. Some in between, too. I would not call it great, but I really did like it. It's hard to believe it was over 3 hours long. I thought EVERY actor was VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD. And I was never bored. I do think it was kinda' strange. I would only recommend this one selectively. The word PRETENTIOUS came up often in the negative reviews. I do not agree with that. Different yes, pretentious no. Not for everyone on a number of levels. Die Hard it's not.
It is difficult for me to understand how anyone could find Tom Cruise' performance anything other than stellar. I really liked John C Reilly in this, and I normally don't. Macy was fabulous and so was Moore. Robards was really good and so was Hoffman. A really great cast, and EVERYONE was at the top of their acting game. BRAVO.
on March 11, 2013
The beauty of this film is that it will never be made again. This is what happens when Paul Thomas Anderson was given total control over a movie and a once in a life time chance to make a movie of this scope.

The overwhelming powerful thing about this movie is that it is in intersection of several movies/story lines. The cop dealing with his job, the woman coping with being sexually abused, the nurse finding wisdom and companionship with a dying man, the disowned son reunited with his father, the genius child grown up and failing at life, the genius kid going through the trauma that breaks genius kids, so on and so on.

There is no beginning or ending to any of those stories, we experience them all in the middle and so this movie is a collection of middles and intersections. The story becomes something worth more than the sum of it's parts, because in this intersection we see something of humanity and more about life. Life itself is a series of middles and connections and interactions, where often things remained unresolved and we avoid things, and are put on by things, and forced into things, etc.

Normally such a high-scope projection couldn't work. But it did here and it did beautifully due to the magnificent acting of the characters and the amazing strength of the writing. It created powerful scenes, highly emotional and humanistic scenes of every gambit of emotion and every difficulty of life. That is what this movie was: Slice of Life, but taken to the most extreme expression.
on November 9, 2010
Even braver and deeper emotionally than Paul Thomas Anderson's
wonderful 'Boogie Nights', and in some ways a more mature, if less
blazingly dynamic work. Full of amazing shots, amazing performances.
The epic, multi-layered film 'Short Cuts' wanted to be.

That said there are a few flaws. The biblical ending doesn't quite work
for me. I appreciate the ideas behind it, but it's an ending that's
less emotional than the film that proceeded it. And a few
moments of irony are forced. That was true in 'Boogie Nights' too, but
because that film had a lighter, more self-mocking touch, even the
heavy handed moments didn't stick out.

None-the-less, this is a must see film, overflowing with great
performances, unconventional storytelling, heartbreaking moments, and
an honest look at where we are and who we are as a society.
on August 29, 2016
Woah.

Just Woah.

What in the world Paul Thomas!!
So happy he saw that snake outside the cabin.
I love that snake.
on August 14, 2017
Complex movie, which you can't just stop watching. Don't worry that it's kind of confusing at the beginning.
on April 20, 2014
Not the most well - known of movies, but an excellent film. Magnificent performances by everyone in the cast. John C. Reilly, Phillip Seymore Hoffman and William H. Macy are absolutely stellar. It's not a movie for everyone, but it is worth watching at least once.
on September 10, 2016
Magnola is one of my favorite films. Yes, I know it's pretentious. I'm pretty sure that was intentional to a degree. But this film is just a great example of excellent filmmaking from both a story and technical aspect. Any time it is on HBO or Cinemax I have to be careful not to flip to that channel. If I begin watching Magnolia for more than a couple of seconds then i won't be able to take my eyes off until the film is over.
on July 5, 2011
Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia" is one of the most powerful, intersecting, and profane movies I've ever seen. I had mixed feeling about it the first time I saw it, considering it's back-and-forth emphasis on various characters, as well as its language and occassional startling elements. Eventually, though, the film started to grow on me. To me, it's not only a film about the notions of coincidence versus destiny, but about the effects of past sins on a future generation, and about the choices each of us makes in our lives. Again, it's a powerful portrayal, yet it paints a fascinating and compelling picture of peoples' rises and falls, redemption, despair, and the Biblical-related theme of intersection. Well-crafted and brilliantly-acted, along with a terrific score by Jon Brion ("Punch-Drunk Love," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") and songs by Aimee Mann.
on April 24, 2017
This is a great story. It was ahead of it's time when it was made and still is. Our society at large is not ready for stories like this. The Aimee Mann music is awesome.