- Hardcover: 300 pages
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill Professional; 1 edition (August 30, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0071362630
- ISBN-13: 978-0071362634
- Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 0.7 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#3,061,589 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #1515 in Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Industrial Engineering
- #1627 in Books > Engineering & Transportation > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Industrial Design
- #1855 in Books > Engineering & Transportation > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Manufacturing
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Mahalanobis-Taguchi System 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
The Mahalanobis-Taguchi System (MTS) is a groundbreaking new philosophy that has been reshaping Japanese industry since its inception. Developed by award-winning quality engineering expert Dr. Genichi Taguchi - acknowledged as one of the most innovative thinkers in the field, and based on the work of Indian statistics giant Dr. P.C. Mahalanobis the system provides a powerful process for recognizing patterns and forecasting results.
From the Back Cover
The MAHALANOBIS-TAGUCHI SYSTEM (MTS) is a groundbreaking new philosophy that has been reshaping Japanese industry since its inception. Developed by award-winning quality engineering expert Dr. Genichi Taguchi – acknowledged as one of the most innovative thinkers in the field and based on the work of Indian Statistics giant Dr. P. C. Mahalanobis, the system provides a powerful process for recognizing patterns and forecasting results.
MTS goes beyond theory - it shows you exactly how international business giants have successfully put the system to work for them. The book includes 15 fascinating case studies that provide an inside look at how organizations such as Fuji, Nissan, Sharp, Xerox and others have utilized the system effectively. MTS can be applied in patient monitoring, medical diagnosis, software, manufacturing, weather forecasting, automotive collision prevention system, and fire detection.
Doctors, researchers, engineers, insurance experts, financial analysts, programmers, and anyone else with an interest in pattern recognition and forecasting will find this book to a blueprint to improved decision-making.
"Japan’s Taguchi is America’s new quality hero."
--Fortune Magazine November 23, 1998
"Subir Chowdhury: Voices of quality for the 21st Century."
--Quality Progress (January 2000) American Society for Quality
"There is no question that the Mahalanobis-Taguchi System is a profoundly important giant step in improving the productivity of evaluating and improving diagnostic and other systems based on pattern recognition. Potential application of this method abound in many industries."
--John King, Ford Motor Company
JAPAN’S POWERFUL, NEW PATTERN-RECOGNITION METHODIS NOW AVAILABLE TO AMERICAN BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY
And here is the FIRST book on the subject
Learn how you can harness the power of an amazing new pattern-recognition and forecasting method from Dr. Genichi Taguchi, a world-renowned quality genius. 15 case studies from around the U.S. and Japan show how industry giants used the MTS effectively in their organizations. With this important and authoritative book, you can achieve the same success.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
However, for someone who has already made the effort to learn and apply the Mahalanobis-Taguchi approach, the book serves not only as a primer, but also as an advanced-techniques mentor.
Using this book's contents and the contents of other publications, I have been able to very effectively apply MTS to several diverse areas, where pattern-recognition was the objective. The applications included:
* Marketing - Here we examined the market for a huge product used by mothers for young children. MTS was able to decisively discriminate between mothers who regularly purchased one brand, from mothers who purchased another brand. Furthermore, we identified several dozen chief characteristics of both groups of mothers. The results were invaluable for future marketing and advertising campaigns.
* Loyalty Programs - Here we were able to determine the key variables responsible for keeping current customers loyal, as well as the variables which were important to competitors' loyalty programs. MTS did this by considering not only the numerical values of the variables, but by considering their correlation structures as well.
* The Golf Swing - We applied MTS to the golf swing of excellent golfers and to beginning golfers, determining which biomechanical variables contributed to a golfer's ability to A) hit the ball straight towards the intended target, every time, B) maximize the range of each ball, without compromising down-range, side-to-side dispersion. This experiment took only two hours to conduct. We employed a system which measured biomechanics variables at every point in the swing, and we measured over 40 ball characteristics from impact all the way to the ball-landing point. The result was a vastly improved swing (more consistent, significantly reduced down-range side-to-side dispersion, and longer range).
* Equities Trading - We applied MTS to develop highly reliable buy and sell indicators. Five dozen variables were initially considered, but we were able to reduce the number of variables to a much smaller number. The system works well.
Overall, the system described in this book not only helped me to better-apply MTS to various pattern-recognition systems - it also served as an `idea kernel' for applying MTS to a host of other application areas. The book is definitely not for everyone, but it is a real gem.
On the downside: Some case studies are poorly explained - and yes, there are several obvious technical mistakes (primarily in describing procedures) throughout the book. I believe that this was a case of poor technical quality control in taking the book through its various stages on the way to a final printing.
Some examples are quite interesting. however, this book is more about "Case Studies by Mahalanobis-Taguchi System" cause it really does not tell you much about the methodology.
it's assumptions has never been clearly stated. that is not how to present scientific method. i can only guess that is it assume linearity & continuity of the system, also orthogonality of variables (i.e., no singularity of the configuration space of all variables) so the quality control study can be reduced significantly.
there's no bibliography, except the incestuous self-referencing. so i have no idea how it works after reading it.