Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on the Bhagavad-Gita : A New Translation and Commentary, Chapters 1-6
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on June 15, 2002
Several years ago I read one of the many translations available of the great classic, The Bhagavad-Gita. I was deeply moved by its beauty and by the ring of truth it conveyed. But it left me frustrated. I wanted to know how I could experience for myself the great truths of life and living presented in this luminous wok of literature. I wanted to be able to live my life with equanimity and balance amidst all the pairs of opposites in life, and I wanted to attain the higher states of human consciousness alluded to in the text. Nothing was mentioned that could point me in the direction of realizing these goals. Nor could I find any translations or commentaries of the Gita that offered a practical means for experiencing the kind of transformation its message promised.
Then I got lucky. A friend gave me a copy of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's translation of the Gita. Wow! What an exhilarating experience it was to encounter the clear and simple expressions of truth that resonated with my innermost Being, and best of all - to find that there is a simple and natural technique I can practice to bring these truths into the mainstream of my daily life. I am deeply grateful to have found this masterpiece of literature, translated and commented on by someone who obviously a great master of human development - someone who has scaled the heights of human consciousness himself and can illuminate each step of the way for those of us who long to live and give the fullness that life has to offer.
on August 12, 2011
The Bhagavad Gita at first seems like a small story from an epic poem, the Mahabharata. It tells about a great warrior, Arjuna, and his talk with Lord Krishna at the eve of a great battle between the virtuous Pandavas and the evil Kurus.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the teacher who brought the Transcendental Meditation technique to the world, has a few things to say about this work. He finds deep and profound meaning in it, and carefully and systematically brings then out in his unique and ground-breaking commentary.

We learn that the knowledge Lord Krishna imparts to Arjuna includes the technique for transcending, also know as Transcendental Meditation. We learn that this technique has been misunderstood over and over again in many different religions and philosophies, especially after the great teachers and saints who started those traditions were no longer around to maintain the purity and simplicity of the technique.
on September 3, 1997
I first read Maharishi's translation of the Gita in 1971. His commentary gives great insight into the practical philosophy which most know as his teaching of Transcendental Meditation. It is essential reading for anyone who has an interest in a practical investigation into higher states of human consciousness. Maharishi has sometimes been dismissed as a "popular guru" who was not for the serious spiritual seeker. This book reveals the deep thinker behind the headlines whose reading "into" the text creates more than many might expect
on April 2, 1999
This translation of the Bhagavad Gita is the most eloquent available. It is a very clear, accurate and beautiful translation which is a joy to read. The commentary is also excellent. It maintains a consistent, logical and fascinating explaination of the text. This book is a constant companion of mine. I highly recommend it.
on November 14, 1997
I have read this book at least 5 times. Every time I discovered new and deeper values. It broadens the awareness to unboundedness. A seeker of truth finds answers to his questions and peace in his mind. To gain maximum value of this book, I recommend strongly to learn Transcendental Meditation (TM). TM gives direct experience of unbounded awareness and develops higher states of consciousness.
on January 22, 1999
I have read and re-read this book numerous times. Each time it is a greater joy. There have been more commentaries written about the Bhagavad Gita than any other book in the world. Maharishi's commentary provides you with the enlightened vision of the "Einstein of Consciousness" It is a source of the deepest wisdom of man. It is for anyone seeking answers.
on August 13, 2013
Sanskrit can be quite wide in it's translation. Look how many different versions of the Gita there are out there?
I read from this book every week and have never even considered I could exhaust it's depth. I know nothing about the Maharishis organization, but I do know quality translations when I read them. Get this book and DO what it says. You'll never be the same.
on June 25, 2013
The clarity and simplicity with which Maharishi writes his commentaries are magnificent.
I found myself reading the same page over and over, like I was drilling deeper and deeper
into his view of the materials.
I only wish he had done more writings on the rest of the Gita. But for now I have Chapter 2,
verse 45 to sustain me.
on March 26, 2005
Couldn't be improved upon. — In response to Randy LeJeune of Baton Rouge, LA: "But why stop at chapter six when the Gita has eighteen chapters? I don't get it. It's not finished. As good as what he has translated is, it would be great if he had completed the job." — It WAS completed, but was not to be released until such time as was found to be appropriate according to the progress of meditators or world consciousness or both – I don't know which. The eighteen chapters of the Gita may be grouped according to each set of six chapters. Each set describes life in different stages of human development. Chapters one through six talk about progression from Transcendental to Cosmic Consciousness, chapters seven through twelve describe evolution from Cosmic to God Consciousness, and the final six chapters of thirteen through eighteen delineate human progress from God Consciousness to Unity Consciousness – the supreme human achievement. Beyond Unity, is Brahman Consciousness. But since this necessitates vibrating outside of the human nervous system, there is no human method of describing or validating it. So as Maharishi says: "Don't worry about it." As poor luck would have it, someone stole the remaining 12 chapters from Charlie Lutes in whose possession and safe keeping it was supposed to remain by not returning the manuscript after borrowing it from him. There is no additional copy of the original manuscript and no intention so far as I know of (circa 1994) that Maharishi ever intends to rewrite the missing chapters.
on November 7, 2015
The book does take some endurance to get through because it so in depth, but it explains many things in the Bhagavad Gita with striking clarity. If you have never read anything by Maharishi, I think you will be surprised at how easy and positive his writing is. You can sense the positive vibration in his writing.