Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maine Massacre (A Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 9, 1999
I loved this book. I've loved all the books in the series, but this one really sucked me in. The characterizations and plot descriptions are so realistic I felt as if I were in rural Maine too. Like the last reviewer, and also a foreigner, I found myself giggling at the cultural differences- they are so true! I've recommended this book and author to all my friends- mystery lovers or not, this guy has something for everyone.
on June 1, 1997
I don't even care much for mysteries but this one
caught my eye while in a physical bookstore looking for the new Burke novel by Andrew Vachss. The book is interesting because the characters are real; this one gives a peculiarly Dutch perspective on American culture, which at times is laugh-out-loud funny, like de Gier, in his eternally curious cop mode, wondering why on earth anyone would buy bags of ice.
on June 15, 2000
Most of the time you read mysteries for a quick easy read. This detective team is deep, soulful, and pragmatic all at once. I love the atmosphere this book contains and the ability to inject a realistic soul into the writing. I have only read one other book in the series, but I will be reading more. This is a perfect mystery to discover. You get Amsterdam, philosophy, and a great who done it.
on October 15, 2014
The mystery in the book was ok, but for me its main charm was seeing coastal Maine in winter thru the eyes of the Commissaris and Sgt de Gier. Nature is in the forefront, with the Netherlanders being inept in the cold and snow, especially trying to drive in such conditions. They arrive and have to buy heavier clothes asap. Despite their difficulties, they feel the grandeur of the rugged coastline, the wildlife, including a doe and fawn, squirrels, a raven and seals, the spaciousness, and the friendly but violence-prone nature of the human inhabitants.

In contrast is the commissaris' sister, an emotional black hole. She's lived there for years and is eager to move to Amsterdam. She's tried to keep her house and her cuisine as Dutch as possible. It's clear that her brother hopes he'll be seeing her as little as possible back in Holland.
on October 14, 2014
I hate it that ebooks are so full of spelling mistakes and just generally badly typed and this is just about the worse I have seen so far, sort of the worst among the worse. There are places where I can't even guess what it is supposed to be and it has so many typing mistakes that it makes the book unenjoyable. Please pay somebody to fix it, it doesn't need to be a translator, just anybody who can read English and has common sense. Otherwise it would have been a good read, nice characters, great atmosphere, lots of humor and a fairly complicated mystery.
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2012
When the brother-in-law of the Commissaris dies in Maine, he goes to help his sister deal with selling her house and moving back to Holland. She is not his favorite sibling (she's very old fashion) but family is family. Grijpstra fears that the Commissaris will be like a fish out-of-water in America and works out a way for De Gier to get a free trip to the States by going on a 'learning trip' to work with the police force in the Commissaris' sisters home town.
As everyone can guess, a mystery of multiple murders has been going on in the area and the Commissaris and De Gier get involved.

The story and the mystery are very pedestrian, and if you put your mind to it you can guess whats going on by the middle of the book. What I found interesting was the descriptions by van de Wetering of America in the late 1970s and a European's take on American at that time. Except for his description of small town New England life (he spent his last twenty-five years living in Maine), the book is just a pleasant way to spend a long winter evening.

Zeb Kantrowitz
on June 5, 2011
So... great story told by a great author.
If it were a print edition, I would have gone to the brick and mortar store and asked for my money back.

It seems the publisher didn't spend much time proof-reading the electronic edition. They scanned it and ran a spell-checker on it. After 50 ocr-related typos I gave up counting, and that was less than half way through the book.

It knocks me out of the flow of the story when I have to figure out what a word is supposed to be, so that definitely reduced my overall enjoyment.

Too bad.
on August 18, 2014
A fair mystery but not all that good.