Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Garth Brooks STEM Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 15, 2017
If I had known this cookbook was written by the lady who did the "a year of slow cooking" blog, I would have bought this book a long time ago! My favorite Indian curry recipe comes from her blog. That recipe, ironically enough is NOT in this book which is a shame because it should be! It's so delicious. Seriously, go check out her "CrockPot Indian Curry Recipe" on her blog.

I personally like that this book does not have all the frills of glossy pictures. I am in the camp of: less pictures more recipes, please, and this book delivers! It clocks in at a fat 454 pages of every day edible recipes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 8, 2016
I saw the book because we borrowed its sequel from a colleague to make some food for a potluck. I liked the sequel so much that I bought this book and its sequel, and have already made several recipes from both. Without exception, they have been very well received, and the credit goes to this great book (and its prequel).
on December 25, 2009
When I first looked at this book, the recipes looked great - easy to assemble, attractive concepts. After making about 10 of them, I've realized you really have to proceed with caution. Most of the dishes have way too much salt when you add in the suggested ingredients and the recommended additional salt. Use at best half the salt listed.

And beware of recipes that are included, but the author gives no personal endorsement. If she doesn't say she love the dish, take a pass.

That said, the coverage in terms of kinds of dishes included is great. I'll continue using the book, but I'll be a lot more liberal in interpretation than I usually am.
on May 19, 2011
As a busy business owner & full time student, I barely have time to eat, let alone cook. What makes it more difficult is that I have an intolerance to foods containing gluten, and gluten-free isn't always easy to find. I decided I wanted to start cooking meals in my slow cooker, but was clueless on where to start. This book has become my answer. The recipes are easy to follow, include ingredients I already have or are easy to find, and (so far) have all been delicious. I like being able to throw it in & forget about it until it's time to eat. So easy & yummy- Stephanie O'Dea has added a new element to my life!
on May 25, 2016
The greatest book ever!!!!! I love it. It is my favorite. I have make 5 recipes and they came out delicious. She uses a lot of herbs, vegetables and simple whole and healthy ingredients. Buy it you will not regret it..........
on December 20, 2010
I tried a few other crockpot books and was appalled at the synthetic nature of most of the recipes, which often used pre-made cans of ingredients or frozen ingredients or big blocks of cream cheese/processed cheese etc etc. Way too much sugar and salt in there already for me.
It was a pleasure to finally find a cook book that used more natural ingredients and kept things simple and fresh. I also tend to do a lot of my shopping at Trader Joe's so I was able to match her ingredient lists quite accurately. I do find the timing on my crockpot is way quicker than hers though :)
My family particularly love the vegetable curry, the apple oatmeal, the candy chicken and the chicken with dumplings.
on June 12, 2013
I have now purchase this book for myself and as a gift for several of my friends. The best part about this book is Stephanie's "verdict" section on almost every page. For almost everything she made in her CP, she writes in this section how it went over with her, her husband and her two young kids. Additionally, if she fed it to any guests, she lets you know what they thought too. It's extremely helpful to have a real live test result with every recipe. I've taken to writing my own verdicts and changes to the recipe on the pages as well. Great book for the beginner and advanced slow cooker!
on November 27, 2009
I did an extensive amount of research on crockpot cookbooks before I chose this one. I didn't want one that focused heavily on "cream of . . ." soups or heavily processed foods. With several food allergies and sensitivities to worry about as well, I also needed one that included basic ingredients but had great variety at the same time.

This book fits the bill--beyond my expectations. I love it because:
1. The recipes were all tested on the author's family (dad, and two kids--3 and 6), and she's honest about when her kids DIDN'T like the recipe--a plus.
2. She uses mostly healthy ingredients and cooks from basic ingredients.
3. Her youngest daughter is gluten free, so all of the recipes are gluten free or can be. That means there are many easily adapted recipes to be friendly to our family's allergies and sensitivities (no dairy, corn, gluten, nuts)--not all, but many.
4. A great variety of types of recipes, including some basics like bread, yogurt, rice, desserts that I can use as reference for my own recipes.

So, thank you, thank you. This cookbook fills a great gap in crockpot cookbooks!
on October 21, 2010
I went to the web site and tried a few of her recipes first, and I liked most all of them. I purchased 2 books, one for myself and one as a Christmas present to a good friend who loves to cook. I have used this book more than any of my other crock pot cook books, I love it and I am still trying different recipes, winter is coming again and I plan on trying out more this year, I can't say enough good things about this book, I use it, and I have shared several of the recipes with friends of mine. If your unsure of this book go to her website and try some, you have nothing to lose, but a lot of great easy meals to gain..... again I like this book and I use it.
on March 17, 2014
This book is a must have, the recipes are easy, and delicious. The variety the book offers is wonderful...the proverbial soup to nuts. Appetizers, side dishes, dinner entrees, even scrumptious desserts. Easy prep, and off you go. Plus it covers both a short and a long cooking time for most dishes. Brings crockpot cooking back, to delicious heights!