Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 11, 2013
Very good book. I like the way it's formatted and it was different than I expected. The CAN SLIM system is repeated in this book so if you read the other How to Make Money in Stocks books you're not going to get anything different. Reading how others have used the system is worth the read, at least it was for me.

The way the book is structured is it talks about the system you'll use with IBD. This reads like a big advertisement for all of IBD's services, but all of the How to Make Money in Stocks books do that. After if goes through the IBD system then it goes through how other people have used the system. The only thing I didn't like was it doesn't talk about the cons of the system and what to look out for. You'll spot some pitfalls here and there, but it really doesn't give you an honest overview of how it is to invest. You're not always going to have the rosy returns the book describes.
The other way the book is structured is it will give you a host of examples from other users first and then highlight their methods in an overview. I like the way it is structured because it makes it very easy to go back and review. I'm reading on the kindle and kindle app for the iPad and the way it is written makes it easy to go through the pages and find good advice.

The advice is very good and not everyone in the book goes about picking stocks in the same way. You'll find that a lot of the methods are similar and the methods I see popping up the most are the ones I implement into my own strategy. I also did not mind the repeated overview of the CAN SLIM system. I actually found that the way she wrote it out was easier to understand.

Reading these books can be hard to get through because it does feel like an advertisement than a strategy book, but their strategies are a part of the services IBD provides. I've used the IBD strategies and services. I have earned more than I've lost, so I do love the system. If it just so happens you have no idea if you want to purchase a subscription to IBD I would recommend you do get it. Especially the two week try out. I got a two month digital edition try out for just $25. If you can find that, that's a good value. I personally do not subscribe to the paper. I think it's a waste. I get the digital edition. The digital edition offers you the online services as well as access to the newspaper through the IBD app. I like the app because I can go through a number of previous issues and I can get the current issue by 2AM. The digital issue is cheaper and the paper edition will tack on a few more dollars. It's not worth it unless you just like newspapers. You'll get the same services with just the digital edition alone.
on March 20, 2013
Amy's book, "how to make money in stocks, success stories", is an inspiring read for those familiar with Bill O'Neil's system, additionally it's a good primer for new passionate investors. Amy highlights the journey of professional and non professional traders who eventually find a turning point before they make enormous gains in the stock market. The turning point is usually reading "How to make money in stocksHow to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times and Bad, Fourth Edition" by Bill O'Neil. Bill is to investing what Steve Jobs was to computers, what Michael Jordon is to basketball... Through hard work, determination, practice, you too can achieve extraordinaire results in the stock market.

If you are a new investors, this will book will provide a shortcut to the turning point of how to make money in stocks. Amy shares insights how network for free and sign up for local meet up groups, and many of the tools on investors dot com, and play a free investing game on marketsmith dot com, just click on the "chart arcade tab".

If you have read Bill's book (how to make money in stocks), this is a great add on, it reviews the basics, has tons of Bill O'Neil quotes, a chapter written by Bill, additionally a chapter written by Scott who shares insights on how IBD runs shop and insights of his father!
on January 17, 2016
This is the CANSLIM investing system by O'neil owner of or Investors Business Daily (IBD). I subscribe to IBD and the CANSLIM trading system and find these books compliment their home study courses. The only reason I am giving this 4stars is that because it comes of as an advertisement for the CANSLIM system and you have to subscribe to and some of their extra products to take full advantage of the system.
on April 30, 2013
Amy Smith does an excellent job of sharing many different success stores of people who use Investor's Business Daily (IBD) to trade stocks. I have been an IBD subscriber for years, but haven't had the time to put the system into practice. IBD and do an excellent job of providing subscriber with the data they need to succeed.

If you are new to IBD, you should start with William J. O'Nell's book "How to Make Money In Stocks". That is where we all start. If you have some doubts as to whether IBD can help teach you to succeed. then read Amy's book.

This book chronicles many individuals who have used IBD, and made a lot of money. Most are individual investors, working part time. Each has their story, and describes their weekly routine, and which IBD features they use. After reading this book, you'll walk away with the understanding that being successful is posible.

IBD has many tools to teach investors. Some are free, such as the weekly radio show that Amy and Matt run. Also, the daily market wrap videos and Daily Stock Analysis videos are free, and demonstrate how to evaluate stocks. IBD offers some free traiing as well, and severl full-day in depth training classes as well. I've attended most of their paid training sessions. They are excellent. All in all, the folks at IBD and are honestly committed to helping individual investors in the stock market.
on August 10, 2013
If you like reading about other peoples success and getting a box of 3 to 7 key points mentioned after every2 to 5 pages of text, then this book is for you. Amy has put in about 45 KEY POINT boxes and about 60 full page stock charts in the 200 pages. That means a key point box every 3 pages of text. There are so many of them they blend into one another without an identifiable orderly manner. The book is packed full of all the iBD system key items to consider when investing in stocks and a much easier read than O'Neil's How to Make Money In Stocks. On the other hand, Matt Galgani has put out a book that probably has as many ACTION STEPS in it as does Amy's Key points, but it has a very easy to follow methodology. Matt's book also has a web page associated with it with short videos on most of the chapters. The videos are so good, I feel I could have skipped reading the book and just watched the videos. But, the combo of a well organized book and videos is sure to hit a home run with those who purchase the book
on March 18, 2013
I have nearly every William J. O'Neil book on investing available. This newest success stories, by one of his employees Amy Smith, has been one of the most valuable books I have ever read. She gleans so many good ideas from many successful investors, just like you and me. Amy has a knack for explaining the simple principles of CAN-SLIM as well as chart patterns. This is probably the second book you should read after O'Neal's How to Make Money in Stocks.
on February 14, 2013
I thought the book would be a detailed analysis of successful traders. It might have detailed examples of how they pyramid into a position, where they set stop losses, how they handled a shake out, etc. Instead it was more like a motivational self-help book that only lightly touched on many successful investors. This gave it a bit of an infomercial feel, and made me skeptical of the examples. Anyone can get lucky on a stock. I'd like to see perhaps all the trades in a year for a good trader, not just their big wins.
In the end it was a quick read and did have some nuggets of information. I did feel a bit like panning for gold as I would read 2 or 3 pages before I'd see 1 good bit of information. But like panning for gold, I ended up with a valuable collection of nuggets. Rather than providing much new information, it made me consider how well I was actually following my trading rules.
Since I believe it has helped me improve my trading, which was it's purpose, I give it 4 stars. I think it could have helped more and done so with fewer pages, though.
on January 11, 2015
From William J. O'Neil''s "How to Make Money in Stocks" series, this one written by Amy Smith. The success stories are helpful for someone who wants to invest in stocks but does not know which method to use. The companion book by Matthew Galagani, "How to Make Money in Stocks -- Getting Started" is the best one to start with. See my review of that book.
on June 12, 2013
If you are new to trading I highly recommend this book. It gives very specific rules for trading that are extremely valuable. Reading about other people who have had great success trading the Investors Business Daily is also encouraging. As an avid stock option trader I can attest to the importance of using the IBD 50 to find stocks that are trending. I have made several 100%+ trades using stocks I found in the IBD 50 Monday edition. Stocks that were once unfamiliar to me have gone on to be 10 Baggers & then some. If you want to make more money trading more often, then I suggest picking up a copy.
on January 31, 2013
This is an excellent read for the serious student of canslim investing.

You get to read about others who have gone before you and learn from their mistakes and or successes..

I have already picked up an excellent point from Mike Webster on page 176 that talks about when you are a newbie(like me)and going through your internship in the market ..He suggests you only trade about 10% of what you eventually plan to trade on in the market..

Had I done that I would have gotten back into my 1st stock pick when it broke out for the 4th time after having been stopped out of it from its 3rd break out... I realized that the amount I had originally traded with was a hindrance to me getting back into the stock when it broke out again.. had I chosen a smaller amount originally I would have had no trouble getting back into the stock when it broke out for a 4th time, and by the way went up 58% from my original buy point.. that is just one example where I picked up a good suggestion which I will implement in my next trade... Thank you Mike Webster

And thanks to all of you who were willing to share from your personal experiences for the readers benefit.

I have no doubt that the serious canslim investor who is always looking to learn and grow will enjoy this book.

Great job Amy!!