Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 265 reviews
on May 23, 2017
I have read this book at least four times since 1995. This last time I read it, I was really able to identify with the author, since I had experienced a lot of the same struggles and emotions as Mr. McCall by then. Since there are so many positive things that I could say about this book, way too many to put into words here, I will just say this: If you are a young person, especially a young person of color, you should read this book. It is a blessing...
on November 10, 2015
It took me half the book to get into it. Nathan McCall writes beautifully and powerfully. He gives the reader a real sense of where he grew up and how he grew up, and is clearly a caring human being. He also has a strong ego, knew what he wanted along the way and got there. He could have cut the first half of the book to 2/3 the length. The interesting part is how he learned to cope with what life threw at him, and that was in the last half of the book.
on March 29, 2017
I recommend this book highly for anyone not afraid to leave their comfort zone. The raw honesty and window into this life will not leave you unchanged.
on July 8, 2016
Awesome book. Read it if you have time. This was a required reading for class. I would've read it without it being required is how informative and good it is. Pick yours up.
on March 22, 2017
I love every page of this book! Very gripping. Changed my perspective and understandings on minority group relations and “the system”.
on March 1, 2017
He keeps it real and clear. A must read.
on January 19, 2017
Great book, very transparent. Despite how this man's story began, his ending made all the difference.
Recommend for all African-American brothers.
on December 30, 2016
good book. only book I have read from cover to cover without stopping in one sitting.....it was that good (at least in my opinion)
on February 25, 2017
Extremely personal. Opened my eyes up to a world I would never experienced. I'm thankful for this narrative.
on May 4, 2015
Frighteningly honest and real. A must read for all who are interested in the complexity of the African American experience.