Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 60 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 12, 2011
Let me just start of by saying Amazon's shipping is amazing, less than $10 I received same day shipping. Took less than 6 hours to get to my doorstep! But now the book, I've been stalking it for quite some time now and it has definitely delivered. Very thick, sturdy hardback book with a slip cover on top, perfect for a coffee table book. It does begin by going over quick skin care tips, gave great info but nothing you wouldn't see in another makeup/beauty book. Then it dives right into the face, and the face structure, foundation, primers, etc...giving quick yet detailed information.

Starting off with the eyes, and different textures of eyeshadow, eyeliners, and lashes. There is a quick page on the standard smokey eye look, which is quite pretty, followed by a few pages of eye looks and quick instruction on how to apply. If you're looking for a book which is going to give you very detailed information, this is not the book. Most of the information requires an immediate knowledge of makeup, makeup products and how to apply them.

Next lips, they go over three lip looks, basic but statement lips. From there, they do have a small section on period (decade) looks, they were for the most part okay. For the rest of the book, they do go over a red carpet look, working with musicians and actresses/actors, editorial and advertising. But all very briefly, like maybe 2 pages with one of those pages being a photo. Near the end of the book is where it really gets into very colorful, adventurous, and edgy makeup, including body art. A very nice surprise was getting to the end of the book where not only did they do a Q and A of getting into the make up artistry business but also what to do and expect at fashion shows (backstage and catwalk).

Now the 4 stars simply comes from the lack of diversity in the book, about half way through I realized there were practically no darker toned women, or minorities for that matter, in the book. That to me is an issue and it bugged me to not see people who look like me, especially when i know there are tons of asian and black models in the industry. I do wish there was more information on the photos themselves, maybe quick tips or something, rather than 5 pages of photos in a row to take up space. Other than that I enjoyed the book and it was definitely worth the wait, and a must have for any makeup lover.
44 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2016
I bought this for my niece who is very much into arts. It looked interesting from the few pages displayed on Amazon. But unfortunately the book mostly displays weird make ups AND does not provide any guidance to actually reproduce these.
on January 15, 2014
Just got the book today and I am very impressed! I had wanted this book for about 5 months, but kept getting sidetracked. It came in perfect condition, no scratches or rips. It was everything I expected it to be, especially because it is from Academy of Freelance Makeup. Side note, the school is very prestigous. I expected nothing short of perfect from them. When I was an aspiring makeup artist, I wanted to collect every resource of knowledge about the craft as possible. A GOOD quality makeup tome was hard to find. A lot of books are lacking where this book excels. This book ACTUALLY names real products instead of just saying "a luminizing foundation." Definitely the first makeup book I've encountered that put brand names. Also, it has a great section on backstage etiquette and how to be a successful makeup assistant. The advice section is realistic and doesn't pull any punches on how hard this career is. Most books just cover the basics and doesn't have ANY insight or career advice. (*cough* Jemma Kidd.) The photos are brilliant, unique and I definitely felt some envy for the artists having such sheer and beautiful talent. I must say, this book is probably not for beginner makeup artists. It brushes past basic knowledge like skincare and foundation. Wasn't a problem for me, but for rookies, it'll be a bit of a letdown. Other than that, there is nothing at all I could complain about. This was a wonderful addition to my collection. It's lovely, and definitely worthy of all 5 stars.
on April 16, 2017
its just a bunch of photos zero techniques
on May 17, 2017
Gift and he loves it. He is a make up artist in New York.
on June 29, 2017
some great pics
on March 26, 2014
This book has given me some great tips. It doesn't cover basic makeup application, but it does go into how to give professional and unique results for fashion. It even goes into things like body paint and prosthetic/accessory applications to the face (for example that bejeweled look on the cover). At the end they cover the tools of the trade, which I think they could have beefed up some more. Overall great reference book (and even a good coffee table book).
on December 5, 2012
I am no professional Make up artist, and don't aspire to be. Knowing make up tricks, how to properly apply it, etc. is more of a hobby of mine. This book is great for those who already know some information on Make up and wish to expand that knowledge. If you want basics, and are a beginner, this book isn't going to be the best of help, beside the "Tools" Chapter. The photography is amazing and gives great ideas on how to play with different effects, as well as the descriptions given. But again, certain terminology would throw off any beginner. I had to look certain things up. Besides that it's a very good book, beautifully put together. I would recommend it to a make up and even photography enthusiast like myself :)
on July 18, 2013
I bought this as a first day of school gift for my sister who is going to cosmetology school. She absolutely loves it! The photography is phenomenal, and according to her, the creativity of the book is "very inspiring". I'm presuming fashionistas will know what she means! It's a mixture of retro, vintage, futuristic, and timeless classic make-up styling, so I don't see this book going out of date anytime soon.
Plus, she can not only use it to help her with school, but when she's done it's a great book for her to display on her coffee table, or to flip through when she needs ideas for work.
on June 8, 2013
Chose this for my niece ,a recent grad. heading off to beauty school,,make up is her creative art play play and choice for a future career.. I had no clue beforehand it was a book she coveted for some time, so I got lucky. The cover photo appealed to me,but along with other great photos there are great bits of information ,for anyone headed into the field of beauty and or makeup artistry
Also the book was packaged extremely well ,so since it was a gift..it arrived in perfect condition..One of the best gift picks ever for anyone with an interest in make up as art.. the book fits it's title