Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 6, 2013
I wish I could go back in time to have read this before I made my first short film years ago. Now as a filmmaking instructor, I save my students the troubles I went through by giving them Kim Adelman's book. It's written concisely, conversationally and in a humorous way that appeals to its reader. And, it's quite the easy read whether you're devoting `study time' to making a short ahead of time or whether you're in the throes of a current project. Knowing the limited time (and attention span) of her audience, Kim also offers up bulleted summaries at the end of each chapter as a way to also speed read through the book and still receive key takeaways that will save you money by saving you time and a better ability to make key decisions about your short film production from step one. I HIGHLY recommend. And, I currently REQUIRE my students to read it who want to make short films. - Kathy Cabrera, UCLA MFA Screenwriting Graduate & Instructor, Atlanta Film Festival
on June 23, 2012
It's an amazing insight into the world of short films from a veteran of the genre with incredible tips to get your film out there and even creative new ideas to make one that stands out. I got an idea for my current short film just by reading this book and everyone loves it. Am about to submit to festivals and try the several alley ways described by Kim.

I Can highly recommend it to anyone who is serious about short films. The insights are so detailed that even experienced filmmakers can learn from this I believe. It covers the entire development of a film, from the idea to distribution and has lists of previous great films, festivals, platforms, topics, downfalls, anecdotes, and even contacts. Thumbs up!
on November 29, 2008
As someone who is slowly getting his first short film in production, I went to this book as a guide to help me along the process. It basically felt as if the author was speaking directly to me, which is great. There were moments in the book where I felt it was stating the obvious, but I guess it's better to do that in order to know you are touching all the important points. 2 sections of this book really stood out for me. 1. The author lists all the important jobs in regards to crew and states what they do, how you need them, etc. 2. Towards the end of the book, there is great information about festivals both in the United States and abroad. That will be of great help when I'm ready to start submitting my film to festivals.

Interested in getting a short film off the ground? Buy this book!
on August 16, 2016
Excellent
on October 29, 2009
After attending her class at UCLA, I was very interested in buying her book, I am reading it right now and it is helping me a lot with my idea of making short movies.
A lot of advice, good examples, a lot of useful information about short film festivals, youtube, and everything you need to start shooting a short film, thanks Kim!
on September 4, 2012
This book is extremely valuable, specially for new film makers that are just learning the ropes. The book has tons of practical and useful information that very rarely would be learned at school, unless, of course, they ask you to read this book.
on March 5, 2013
This book was required for school. I am still enjoying every minute of this required reading. If you are looking to make it big in shorts, check this book out.
on November 15, 2014
Bought it for class and it came as expected.
on December 3, 2013
Practical and Useful

This is not all you need to know about making a short film, but it’s damn near all. And it’s not just about making the film, it’s about finding the idea, exploring it, organizing to make it, how to find the money, how to do all the steps you need to do from casting to editing, and then how to market the damn thing.

This is the second edition of this book, and there’s a reason why – it really gets you there with loads of specific and practical information, right down to how to write a postcard publicizing your film. It tells you how to get into short film festivals and how to have fun there, how to market your film overseas, and how to get the money for your next film.

Extolling shorts for their own sakes, Adelman makes you ready and proud to be a short film maker, whether you’re just doing it on a whim (Good idea! Have fun!), or are a student in film school. I’m not saying this book will make you an award winning filmmaker (though it could), but I am saying if you do everything in this book, you can make a short film and enjoy the process. Because if you don’t enjoy the process, what’s the point?
on July 29, 2009
I don't think in terms of short films. When I teach my screenwriting class we hardly touch on films that are "shortish" in nature. Why? I really don't know.

When it came time for me to go into production on my film, I decided to go feature length because I figured there are a glut of short films in the marketplace. You've got them on YouTube and various other places where you can post your films for the world to see. That is, of course, where my feature film lacked. I couldn't just splay my feature anywhere.

This isn't to say that I haven't touched short films. I wrote an award winning 48 Hour film challenge short film and I've fiddled a bit with VERY low-budget "I'm baby-sitting these kids - what should I do? I know, I'll make a movie with them!" But I've never actually sat down and thought about short films and the impact they can have.

Kim Adelman's book is OUTSTANDING in thinking over every single comprehensive thought when it comes to making your short film. From production to marketing, from concept to casting, from the finest details to the grand design...you can't go wrong with this book.

As much as I learned about short filmmaking while reading this book - I also learned things that would have helped me out greatly in my feature filmmaking (getting music rights, the importance of sound, etc.). So don't let the title fool you - you will learn aspects of short filmmaking that you will easily carry over into feature filmmaking.

Bottom line: Kim Adelman walks you through the mine field that is making short films, exploring all aspects of production, and the new arenas in which to show and distribute short films. This is a perfect book for anyone with a YouTube account.