Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on June 20, 2017
There were a few useful snippets of information at the beginning of the book, but as a whole the book offered no useful information beyond what every law student hears from professors, fellow students, and law review members about making law review. When the author does offer some advice, it is generally so shallow as to be useless to a capable law student.

There were also editing issues where it is clear the author did not review some parts of the text before getting it published, which are just disappointing given that the author attended law school and was a member of his school's law review (both of which result in a massive amount of writing and editing experience). While the author recommends repeatedly that students proofread their work and avoid redundancy, he neglected his own advice when writing this book.

Additionally, while it is advertised as containing information from interviews with several students who were members of their law reviews, there is not a single quote referencing a student member in this book. Most of the material appears to be the author's own recollection from his time in law school.
on July 13, 2012
This book is worth a read if you attempting to get on law review. However, the best advice within the book is mostly just common sense. For me, the only points the book made that were helpful was

1. Law Review is great to help a so-so GPA in the job market,
2. Follow the instructions of the competition exactly,
3. If you are writing a memo, then make sure your submission is in a memo format,
4. Attend the law review informational at your school
5. Expect to focus a majority of your free time on the competition.

This last point was the most critical, in combination with something that was said to me by a law review member during the informational given at my school: Alternate days between writing and site editing (if you have to edit cites, which is common). My school's competition ran 10 days and I spent 8 of them (4 on cites and 4 on paper) working on the paper and editing citations with the blue book. Alternating the days allowed me to clear my head and put down the paper for 24 hours at a time. DO NOT get too wrapped up in the author's assertion you need to work full time on this paper like a job. I am a night student who works full time and has a wife and two children. I resolved to only write from 8PM until 1AM or so, sometimes later. In short, you can do it with other things going on but you will still have to focus significant amounts of time.

Good luck and buy this book as it may give you the slight edge needed!
on July 19, 2011
I had disappointing grades my first year of law school. After shaking it off, I decided to try out for the write-on competition anyway. At my school, grades are still a significant factor in making Law Review, but as the saying goes, "You can't win if you don't play."

This book is marvelous. The author begins with his own story of mediocre performance in school, but concludes by stating he was editor-in-chief of the University of Washington's Law Review. How he did it, of course, is the rest of the book.

While I ended up not making Law Review because my grades were not good enough, I was fortunate to get on my second-choice journal, which I suspect happened because of the methodical, meticulous Bluebooking I learned to do from this book. At least, the editor-in-chief alluded to that when she called to invite me to the Editorial Board!

Law Review is the goal of most people writing-on, but the value of being on a good journal can't be overlooked, especially in today's soft legal market. Purchase this book, and you won't be disappointed.
on October 20, 2016
I do not know if it was me, this book, or a combination of the two, but I did make law review. And I was not even in the top 20% of my class. This book offers common sense advice, but during the write-on this is very important. Following the basics will help you a lot when tired 2L students-who are transitioning into the editorial positions-are grading your papers during the summer break.

At least browse through it. It will help.
on July 22, 2016
There wasn't much helpful material in the book- just common sense stuff like, "make sure you get familiar with Bluebook, and, "proof read your paper." Totally not worth it. You're better off just doing a Google search for tips.
on May 15, 2016
If you're totally clueless it's marginally helpful but doesn't particularly help all that much; then again I'm not sure that any book could actually prepare you for a write on.
on February 21, 2014
This is a great book for anyone who wants to get onto law review or even write an academic paper in law school. I felt it was helpful in choosing a topic for my paper and I would suggest it to anyone new to the legal field.
on August 23, 2015
A great help - some advice is obvious, some is really insightful and helped me make law review!
on June 4, 2014
It takes a lot of devoted time and effort to write on to a journal. Reading this book did not help at all. This book offers no secrets or helpful strategies.
on November 24, 2014
Completely useless. You're time is better spent focusing on citations than reading this book.