Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Making Mosaics: Designs, Techniques & Projects Paperback – March 1, 2004
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) Writing is friendly and encouraging.
2) Good beginning tutorial for several mosaic techniques.
3) Loaded with excellent photos of works in a wide variety of styles, by some very skilled artisans. The examples and designs in this book are above average.
4) Great project section in back of book. Designs and writing in this section are above average.
1) Expensive. It would have been nice if the publisher had printed the book in paperback, especially if it came with a wire-o binding, so you could lay it flat and read while you experiment.
2) Gallery photos are interspersed with descriptive text in first part of book, making it harder to read. It would have been better to have just the tutorial text and accompanying instruction photos in the first part of the chapter, and end each chapter with a gallery of examples.
3) Tutorial text in early chapters does not have numbered steps, although the projects section is formatted this way.
4) Writing throughout the book, especially in the first section, could be more clear.
5) No resource listings. It would have been nice if the authors had compiled a list of places to buy tools and materials.
6) Glossary and index are sad. Glossary defines seven words. Index is probably complete, but is loaded with undefined references (47, 51, 72, etc.).
Very well done!
The introduction and history section compares well to some of the better books. There is not that much but it is a respectable amount for a book that deals with technique and design.
Every book also has a tools and materials section and this one provides sufficient information for you to proceed without worrying if you are using the right adhesives or the right backing for your work. There is not much that one needs to add. This knowledge will provide a good foundation to build on. Explanations are clear and items pictured clearly.
The more common techniques are covered from beginning to end with, in one case, 17 small pointed images showing you exactly how. There is also a section on sculptural forms which shows you how to mosaic onto things that are not flat. Many other artists' work is also beautifuly presented in this book showing the different applications for the techniques that are covered in that section of the book. Very inspiring! It makes you want to get up and get going!
And when you do get going, there are 12 projects complete with templates and very concise intructions. They are all unique and there is something for everyone.
The contributing artists section would be more useful if there email addresses or web sites. The glossery also contains all of 7 items and the index is only 2 columns on a half a page. This could have been more complete.
This is a very good book for instruction, inspiration and beautiful pictures. An artist of any level would be happy with this purchase. 10 out of 10.
long ago become bored with the run of the mill products available in the stores.
This book gets your mind and creativity juices flowing to make something really
different. I have a collection of tiling /mosaic books. Good one to add to yours as well.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent product, very happy with this vendor. I would use again. Thank you.Published 6 months ago by vallo Riberto
Not at all pleased with the projects in this book. What a waste of money...Published 9 months ago by Elizabeth A. Dion
I love to learn mosaics and like to purchase books that give me ideas, helpful hints etc.
It is a wonderful book and I am glad I put it in my collection.
I have several mosaic books and I like this one also. Pretty instructive, I haven't used any of their designs as I make my own. Good reference book.Published on July 7, 2013 by Sharon L. Sudano