Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _fab _fab _fab  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Style: Saw|Change

Showing 1-10 of 153 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 168 reviews
on July 12, 2016
This saw is a beast. On a recent deck build it performed flawlessly, it's much quieter than other circular saws I've had in the past yet it has much more torque. I'll never go back to a sidewinder after having this saw. When looking for a circular saw I was choose between this saw and dewalt's lightweight circular saw, which my buddy happened to have. I liked the size of the base plate and was concerned this saw might not have a base plate to rival the dewalt, but I was wrong this saw, can out cut my buddies dewalt any day. It has tons of torque and although the blade sent with the saw is not top of line, it still cuts pretty darn good. Pair this saw with a freud diablo blade and you can do just about anything. The only downside to this saw is that it does not come with a case.
on February 2, 2016
This saw is awesome. Whenever I start doing a cut, I click the trigger to spin the saw blade around once before I actually start making the cut. It has enough torque that the first pull of the trigger will make my hand flinch. It's ripped through everything I've thrown at it so far. The only thing I wish was a little different is the "0 degree" cutline that you need to follow when making a cut. With saws I've had in the past I've been able to keep an eye on the blade while it made the cut to make sure I was getting exactly what I want out of it but it's a little more difficult for me with this saw since the blade is a little more hidden. Because of this. I'm just going to make a fence guide so I can just ride the edge of the saw against the guide and not even pay attention to the cutting line anymore. It's heavy and heavy duty. Will probably last for a long time
on July 14, 2014
This saw sits right in the middle of price range for circular saws. It is one of the less expensive "worm-drive" style, even though it doesn't actually use worm-drive gears. This saw has a sealed gear box that does not require servicing, which was a big plus for me. I have used this saw for two large projects so far and it has cut all my lumber with ease. I have not tried masonry or any plunge cuts so far, but I have been impressed by the lack of strain on the motor while cutting. It pushes right through dimensional lumber without pause and cuts veneered plywood without splintering the top sheet.

Pros:
1. Cost
2. Minimal service requirement
3. High torque motor
4. Accurate cutting guides

Cons:
1. Heavy(ish) - not a big problem at all, but this is not a lightweight saw.

Unknown:
1. Reliability - I've only had this saw for about 6 weeks now (2 large projects) so it's hard to know how reliable it will be. I have not had any sign of problems yet.
on July 25, 2015
This is the first circular saw I have purchased in over 40 years. My old Craftsman was finally wearing out. This saw is such an improvement over what I had before. It cuts through wood like a knife through warm butter......smooth. Good value, I will be using it to build a shed in my backyard and for cutting larger sheets of plywood into managable sizes.
on May 30, 2011
I have used both types of Skil in line saws [worm drives] and have loved them. I needed a new one after 34 years and landed on the Makita while shopping. For $123, I could not pass it up. After using it for the last three months, I can say it's the best in line saw I have ever used. I highly recommend this saw!
on July 10, 2012
As a whole I love the saw. It cuts real clean, is easy to adjust and has plenty of power. The one drawback I noticed right off is it is fairly heavy. One reason I went with the makita is a couple friends had them and they seemed to be lighter than other brands.other than that its a great saw.
on April 24, 2015
Decent quality but I would have liked the base to be stronger. It cuts great and is the best work bench saw I ever had. It is heavy but that is what I wanted for the abuse at the saw horses. I am very happy with the purchase and cost. This saw should last the rest of my life. Hopefully it will be worth something after I'm dead and my daughter can sell it for a couple bucks. lol
on December 23, 2014
Replaced a very old circular saw, went with the Hypoid design because I always hated cutting on the right side. Being right handed, I had to look over my arm to see the blade, and it was usually hidden from view behind the body of the saw. This layout makes more sense to me. Love the balance and sight lines of this design. The saw was also a major upgrade in quality for me, so I love the added power and smooth operation with less noise.
on August 23, 2014
I debated a bit to rate this as a 4 or a 5 but in fairness I feel I should give it a 5. It's a heavy and powerful saw. I've had the saw for several weeks, a few months even and I've used it for general use around my home shop and quite a bit for a fairly heavy duty project of building a new deer blind. In that project I cut a lot of plywood, 3/8", 3/4", 2 X 4's and 4 X 4's (cuts from opposite sides). I like the plain view from the left hand side as I am right handed. It's probably just different from what I'm used to using over the years but it seems I have a bit more trouble following a line when cutting without a guide than with my old saw. That's the only reason I would rate it less than 5 and that's probably in my court. It's a powerful saw, contractor grade, so be prepared for kick back if the blade gets into a bind and there is no electronic brake. If you need a saw for light duty around the home, this is probably not the best choice for you but I do recommend it for more serious use. It's imported of course but it's well made and seems to be a quality tool.
on December 16, 2012
I am a Remodeler and I needed a good circular saw for framing and rougher cutting. I like most of Mikita's tools and the price was right. First thing I noticed was how heavy the saw is, but after a few cuts you forget about all of that and you notice the power of the saw. Its easy to operate and seems to be well built, time will tell. I would recommend this saw