Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(1 star). See all 389 reviews
on June 29, 2012
I bought this tool set for light work around my home. Initially I really liked the tool set but with just about 14 months of use, both batteries went bad. Apparently, this is a well known Makita design flaw where one of the 5 cells goes to 0 volts while the rest of the cells have a charge and the internal circuitry marks the battery as dead and you can do nothing but get a new battery. In summary, the tools are good but the battery will fail just after the warrantee is up. And the replacement batteries are not cheap! Just look at the 1-star reviews for the battery--they all say the same thing:

Do not buy this!
on August 23, 2012
I researched every possible combination of drill/driver, impact driver, hammer drill, 18v, 20v 1.5A, 3.0A offerings on the market. And, decided that this was going to be the product that I ordered. I was incredibly excited despite the candid reviews about the noisy battery charger and the potential issues with battery life. I received it today... opened up the package. Decided to try and charge the battery to see what the fuss was all about with the noisy/loud battery charger. Guess what.... battery charger didn't work. No lights. No charging. Just a dead piece of plastic. Returned the entire thing. Sure... I might have been unlucky. But, not going to chance it again. These things are supposed to be rock solid. I think I'm just going to with a fully size Dewalt 20v 3.0 drill/driver.
on October 23, 2012
I bought this item based on my history with Makita tools and the favorable reviews on Amazon. The battery power just can't stand up to the full size 18v packs! This unit charges fast and dies faster, now after 14months of lite use one battery wont hold a charge. First time Makita tools has ever let me down! Flipped it upside down--> made in China, flipped my old 9.6v upside down--> made in Japan
on January 27, 2013
Battery charger claims to be dual voltage 110/220 50/60hz, IS NOT, buyer beware. The drill is good though, had to buy a proper charger.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2010
Makita has a serious problem with their chucks. They wobble causing the drill bits to wobble thus increasing the size of the hole you are drilling. I have run into this problem before with Makita. Other than that they seem like very good products. But I returned mine. Why? Because it's useless to me when I count on accuracy and I do not want to break my bits! Makita, you've got a serious problem. Much like the Toyota recalls going on these days.
on July 26, 2013
 I've read the complaints of chuck wobble. Given that many of these were several years old, I assumed Makita would have dealt with the quality control issue. I have several other Makita tools and love them. I received the drill and driver today, open the box, fire up the drill and see the collar wobbling. I had read that many of the collars do in fact wobble, but the chuck itself (the teeth) are straight as an arrow. I put a bit on and the wobble was even more exaggerated--almost dangerously so! On a half inch bit, the wobble at full speed was several millimeters to each side at the tip. I tried several other bits to make sure it was the drill and not the bit. Wow, completely unacceptable from a brand I trust and spend good money to support. I exchanged a Hitachi 18V Li Ion drill for this and am now really dissapointed I did. Come on Makita...REALLY???

NOTE: The wobble is much more apparent in person than on the video, particularly at high speeds. The 1/4 inch bit in the video was drilling nearly 3/8 inch holes in soft wood with the Makita.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2014
I highly suggest buying 'Milwaukee' tolls instead! They have a much better warranty and their tools are a higher quality. I am an electrician and will never, ever, buy anything from Makita again.

Both my sawzall, AND my drill broke within the first couple years. Not only that, but my co-worker's drill also broke within the same time period. I took both tools in and paid to have them repaired. I had a terrible experience there which I will not even go into.

A few months later my sawzall broke again in the same exact place! After many phone calls to Makita, they tell me they will not fix their faulty repair for free! Not only that, but I also find out that my original repairs were supposed to be covered under warranty! After weeks of emails, and leg work, they refuse to refund my money for my original repairs! I simply cannot believe how horrible the Makita company has been.

Makita needs to learn a lesson from Costco about customer service. The bottom line is that Makita's tools are cheap junk, and they rely on you, the consumer, to police their own warranty policies. Do Not Buy Makita!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 8, 2008
Based on favorable on-line reviews of the tools offered in this kit, I bit, and I'm not sorry. The light is bright; I finished an outside job after daylight was all gone, using this as a flood light. The 1/2" drill , though not a hammer-drill, has plenty of torque, is very compact and lightweight for such a tool, and the LED , which shines on the work piece is a very nice wrinkle - at times especially helpful. The impact driver is the real standout! So very compact, it amazed me with the stubborn screws and bolts it loosened and the quick and easy way it would sink and tighten without stripping. It also has the helpful LED. And the charger does charge fast. The price is very reasonable and a real bargain for what these tools will do. For their intended purpose I'd say they are "state of the art." For about 25 years now I've owned and much used in my contruction work battery powered tools : Skill, Bosch, Panasonic, Makita, and Milwaukee, and I've used other brands besides. For their purposes these are the best - such fun to use that I actually look forward to working with them.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 10, 2008
Unfortunately I ran into the chuck wobble problem that some other people have had with the drill. Returned it so we'll see if the replacement fixes the problem.