Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon October 8, 2015
I was buying a salt cellar for a friend recently, and when I did so, I tossed a box of this for myself into the cart to try, just for fun.

Sure, I know more than the average bear about salt. I read a book on it, and have tried some of the fine salts, smoked salts, and I have coarse chunks of pink Himalayan salt in a grinder on my table (they look great). But, what do I use everyday for cooking? Morton Kosher Salt in a salt cellar for an easy pinch when I need it. The flakes are flat, stick to food well, do not contain the metallic-taste of iodine, readily-available, and so inexpensive, it is essentially free.

I tried this salt for the first time this morning on my poached eggs. Suddenly, I understand why, long ago, salt was so valuable it was used as currency. Yes, it was a clean, clear taste, without any off-flavors. But, I expected that. What I didn't expect was the effect of the triangular crystals. They stick to the food much like the flakes, without falling off like the old-fashioned, iodine-laden crystalline cubes we all grew up with (if you have some of those still lying around, just toss them - they really aren't worth eating). But, why are they better than the Kosher flakes? Because they crunch in your mouth when you eat them. It is an almost surreal experience. I found myself looking forward to each bite, because every time I bit down, there was a satisfying soft crunch, along with a tiny little explosion of salt taste in my mouth. This salt is just fantastic! So much so that I set aside some time this evening to write a review to let people know.

There are really only two drawbacks.

One is it is more expensive than the Morton Kosher salt, though still extremely reasonably priced for what you get, in my opinion.

The other? What the heck am I going to do with the two full boxes I still have of Morton salt now that I've found this?

Very highly recommended. Get a box and try it out, even if you are skeptical. Trust me on this.

Sean Logue, 2015
1111 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2017
I love this salt. I have added some lemon or lime powder to it to give it a nice crisp flavor and I can use less when I do that, so less sodium. It is a terrific product and much cheaper than I have found it anywhere else. I would certainly buy more of this when I run out of it. I use it mostly to finish off a dish rather than cooking with it. It has a lovely texture and the flakes add interest to the taste in different bites.
on August 31, 2017
This isn't worth using to season steak, etc. before grilling, but we love topping edamame and shishito peppers with it. I had to buy a little "salt box" to keep it in - it's much easier than going in and out of the bag all the time. We will definitely keep repurchasing this!
on June 7, 2017
salt flakes, not the usual salt shaker salt. this salt has a tang to it, a slightly mineral flavor that is different from table salt and gives food a wonderful and tasty flavor. be careful not to use too much as the flakes are larger than regular salt. you will find a million uses for it.
on May 22, 2017
I have to say I wasn't expecting much: salt is salt, right? Well, turns out that's not really true. This salt has a tang that can't be beat and a very little goes a long way. Adds a whole new dimension to French fries or sliced tomatoes. Very surprising and highly recommended.
on May 3, 2016
I found this salt in Canada in a little tin and the flavor is so wonderful that I tracked it down on Amazon. It sounds funny to say the flavor of unflavored salt is so good, but there is just something perfect about this salt. I even did a taste comparison with French sea salt and the French salt is so much saltier tasting and not in a good way. Who knew?! I love these flakes and just can't recommend them enough.
on January 11, 2017
I've been hooked on the crunchy pyramid salt flakes for a while now. This was my first time ordering Maldon brand. I couldn't be happier. The quality is just as good as what I've been paying a lot more for! Whenever I'm needing to reorder, this is where I'll come for my Maldon (crunchy flaky yummy) Sea Salt Flakes!
on October 21, 2017
This salt is great as a finishing salt as it is not too large and crunchy. Sometimes kosher salt or pink Himalayan sea salt is too chunky and can hurt my teeth if I bite into it a certain way however these flakes are soft and break down easily as you bite into it without hurting sensitive teeth. Yet they still deliver a decent shot of flavor and saltiness without the bulkiness. I used this in a homemade everything bagel seasoning mix, perfect! Would definitely recommend and order again
on January 29, 2014
I love this stuff. The taste is salty - but fresh...nothing like table salt. It enhances anything, but is pretty spectacular on foods where salt is the star. Try a sprinkling on a freshly grilled steak, or a slice of perfectly ripe watermelon. Perfection! If you have never purchased a finishing salt, this is an excellent one with which to start. It is not as unique as some others, but the price is right and the taste is there for a beginner. It may seem crazy to spend $$$& on salt - but you WILL see a difference!
on March 9, 2017
Big snow-white salt flakes. Looks good and has a clean savor. We like sprinkling this liberally on certain large dishes like Shishito peppers.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.