Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mallory and the Dream Horse (Babysitters Club)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on August 13, 2000
I think Mallory and the Dream Horse was a good idea for the BSC series, but it wasn't as detailed as other horse books. I should know that a white ribbon in a horse show is 4th- I have 2 of them! Still, good idea. ALSO- riding instructors should NOT let their riders pick what horse they want to ride; that could be bad for all 3, and maybe even cause fights. The horse and rider's bond wouldn't be as strong, either, and it takes at least a month to get to a canter.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2005
ISBN 0590449656 - And it isn't non-fiction, so don't read it expecting to get educated on the topic of horses, riding lessons or shows. It isn't, in the end, even about horses - like all the BSC books I've read, Mallory and the Dream Horse is about friendships and family, with a touch of problem-solving thrown in. If you're looking for information, look elsewhere.

That said, this is a nice story, told (mostly) in the first person by Mallory Pike. She and Jessi Ramsey are best friends and both horse crazy, so it's obvious that fate is on their side when a brochure from Kendallwood Farm arrives in the mail, advertising riding lessons. When Jessi's parents say no, Mallory's excitement makes her blind to her best friend's feelings. And, since it seems that Jessi doesn't care at all, Mallory doesn't talk to her when the lessons don't go all that well. Her classmates are snobby and "properly" dressed for riding, while Mallory doesn't own the right clothes AND ends up taking a fall in front of everyone!

In the meantime, the BSC is dealing with Nina, whose habit of taking her "Blankie" everywhere she goes is not helping her make friends as she begins school, and Mallory's younger siblings organize a neighborhood talent show.

I did find it weird when the book slipped out of the first person in two chapters, but other than that, I enjoyed it and I think BSC fans will, as well.

- AnnaLovesBooks
on July 21, 2005
Mallory takes horse riding lessons and it doesn't go as well as she thought and the people in her class are snobby. I don't remember much of the book but it was nice to see a book that speaks of mallory's love for horses, since it was mentioned lots of times that she loves to read horse books.
on April 19, 2003
I usually enjoy Ann M Martin's books very much, but I'm not too impressed with the information in this book. A previous reviewer pretty much said it all- also I would not be happy to see an instructor that would let a collision almost happen. I know I didn't begin cantering for a few months after I began riding, as did most of the other riders my instructor trains. But I must say that the book has a wonderful writing style for that age group. =O)
on August 7, 2002
Now, I may not be a horse nut or anything like that, but I felt this book was a good introduction to horseback riding. And also, may I say that the point of the book was not to be exact about things such as ribbon colors and such. It served the purpose of showing how Mallory feels that its better to adore horses than love riding them. I do recommend though, maybe checking this book out of a library or something to see what you personally think.
on July 22, 2015
i love all of these books everyone should read them.especially children.
on November 1, 2001
I'd have to say that I am VERY digusted with this book. An avid horse lover and reader, I have been riding since I was 6. Mallory's riding instructor shouldn't have called Mallory's mom--she should have made Mallory get back on unless she was broken or bleeding badly. And it dosen't take 3 lessons to canter. I think the writer should have done a little better job of doing research, even if she dosen't like horses. Some kid isn't gonna get the right information when they read this book. And Thoroughbred and Quarter-Horse are supposed to be capitalized (they are names of a breed).
on June 13, 2006
This book is a very funny and interesting book to read. Also it is very easy to read, and understand also to finish in a very short amount of time. I really enjoyed reading this book, and finding more about each character, and their qualities. This book also made me want to go and ride a horse myself. If you enjoy reading short books on friendship, and horses you would prpbably enjoy this book as well!
on May 21, 1999
Mallory and The Dream Horse was an interesting book but I must say the auther could have gone further into depth on horse resurch. Sine when is a white ribbon sixth and a rider canters on their second day. Gimmie a break people!!!!! It was not the greatest book in the word in my opinion
on June 6, 2005
Mallory is taking proffesional riding lessons. It's a dream come true or should i say Mallory has gone crazy. The book was so cool with interesting chapters.