Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 14, 2017
This was a gift for my ex-husband as he was obtaining his bachelor of science in computer technology/computer forensics. He said it was a very helpful book to get him through a class with this topic.
on December 6, 2010
Still working my way through this book, but so far every chapter has been quite useful. This book is more of a practical guide to malware analysis than anything else. I have found that many of the previous books are in one of two cases: they either are not quite practical enough and simply teach the concepts without showing you how to use the programs (or often even mentioning the programs), or they are too difficult for those who want to learn more about the subject but haven't been doing it for years.

I understand that the concepts are key in the long run, and mentioning specific programs can lead to an outdated book faster, but considering this book just came out, the programs are indeed current and work great. The book goes through a good number of programs freely available on the web or included on dvd, and it describes them and how to use them / configure them as well, rather than simply presenting a list of programs.

The book is detailed and in-depth enough to provide good analysis of malware as well. It does assume some prior knowledge of programming, general security concepts, and different OS's, but it provides clear descriptions of malware analysis tools that are easy to follow.

Overall, it's a good book to pick up and work your way through, rather than read your way through. This is simply the way it's structured. As you read each chapter you feel the need to actually sit in front of a computer and FOLLOW the recipes to learn the material - something that can often be difficult to do with other textbooks. So far, my favorite book on the subject!
10 people found this helpful
on September 1, 2012
This book is hands-down the best computer book I have read since reading C Programming Language (2nd Edition) in the early 1980s. Both books use a specific topic to introduce the reader to a wide range of ideas and a new way of looking at computers in general. I have learned an amazing amount about Windows internals, Ubuntu, python, assembler, and a range of virtual environments (and more!!) through the encyclopedia of techniques for understanding and analyzing malware presented in this book. The plethora of code provided in the book (and on its DVD) and the helpful, detailed and amazingly enjoyable recipes have given me an on-ramp to my own experimentation. Now I am firmly on the road and learning from many different sources, but my dog-earred copy of this book is never far away.

I am amazed that this book was written by four people because it is written in a consistent and engaging style throughout. There is so much information!! In any other book this would inevitably be boring. But in this book the wealth of techniques, examples and code snippets is a marvelous buffet of mind tickling delicacies. I feel incredibly lucky to have come across it. It has inspired me to write my own honeypot and my own web vulnerability scanner. I have cataloged all the dodgy attachments sent to me and analyzed them with multiscanners and sandboxes. I no longer have to rely on the accuracy of vendors to scan my system: I can find rootkits myself using sysinternals and other tools introduced by this book.

This book has enhanced my computer skills and knowledge across the board. I highly recommend it for intermediate-advanced programmers. It does assume a good knowledge of programming and some comfort with python, c/c++, assembler, and other common programming tools. But everything is explained in English as well, so deep familiarity with any specific language or tool is not required. Buy it and enjoy!!
6 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2016
I got the kindle and was seriously about to get ticked off since there was no DVD supplied. There is a link that will atleast take you to the tools used and you can compile them. 5 stars just for that. I haven't read it yet. More reviews to come.
2 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2010
The Malware Analyst's Cookbook is the best book I have read when it comes to practical techniques for working with malware. This book give many practical examples to helping forensic examiners, incident responders, malware analysts or others on how to deal with malware. This book touches so many great areas when it comes to malware analysis it is hard to focus on highlighting them all.

One suggestion for those looking to purchase this book, it would help you to gain a mild understanding of python as many of the very great tools contained within the book rely on python. It is by no means necessary to understand python to use the tools but it would be helpful to better understand what the tools are doing.

I found the 4 chapters on memory analysis to be completely awesome! I have not seen such a wealth of information on memory analysis in once place. The chapters on memory analysis go from the basic analysis of memory dump to exploring code injection and rootkits to pulling registry and network artifacts from memory.

The book does a great job of introducing the reader to multiple ways in dealing with malware from using tools for classification, scanning with AV engines and sandboxes to working with DLLs and malware debugging. I really liked how when a tool is introduced then authors then usually have a script to automate much of the process. The DVD that comes with the book is worth the price of the book just by itself.

If you work with malware in any capacity I think this book with benefit you as it has so much to offer in so many areas when it comes to fighting malicious code.
33 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2017
good for review on malware.
on June 15, 2014
I had started Malware analysis learning using PMA(Practical Malware Analysis) by Sikorski, after completing PMA I was looking for more technical reference and then I grab the copy of Malware Analyst's cook book and I found this book very useful, the codes and exercises given in the book are excellent. A must have for every Malware Analyst.
3 people found this helpful
on February 15, 2017
Great book. I use it daily.
on August 26, 2016
Great book to get you into doing malware analysis
One person found this helpful
on December 17, 2016
Always helpful to have labs/exercises at the end of each chapter.