Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mama's Big Ones (Her Greatest Hits)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 31, 2005
I'd placed this on my Wish List prior to the reviewer's entry that called it 'flat', and I ordered it without rechecking the reviews. Now I'm sorry I did.

It's almost as if the cuts have somehow been over processed, with most of the dynamic range removed. You don't get a feeling for the wonderful reach of Cass' voice. She just comes across as bland and tinny. After the first half-dozen songs, my wife looked at me and said, "What's wrong with the CD? That doesn't sound like Cass the way I remember her."

There were also significant differences in the volume level between some of the tracks. We needed to crank it up to hear some tracks, and then turn it back down for the next one.

Another indication of how cheaply this CD was produced is that there are no liner notes, just an addvertisement for MCA Record's other products. The liner says, "Compact Disc, Compact Price" - to which I'd add, don't purchase this unless you have "Compact Expectations."
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2005
We were very disappointed in the quality of the sound of this CD There was nothing in any of the discriptions on line to indicate that it was copied from analog tape and may contain some anomalies. This was LOW -Grade quality. It sounded like playing it on an old "45" record player!!!

We like Mama Cass and have CD's of the Mama's & Papa's which are great sounding.

I think you need to put more discription in regards to the recording so the customer knows what they are buying.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 1999
Upbeat and refreshing as if brand new. Got interested in her all over again from the soundtrack of "Beautiful Thing". Haven't stopped playing it since.
on September 26, 2014
The definitive greatest hits collection and a must have for anyone who appreciated her great talent. I was a young when she was popular and wasn't terribly familiar with her music, but absolutley loved this collection of her songs from begining to end.
on March 28, 2013
I am fortunate to have met Cass Elliott at The Fickle Pickle in Chicago back in the winter of 1962. She was with The Big Three then, this was before Hootenanny on TV, and she was dressed differently from later on in her career. I remember her in a long black dress. Her hair was piled high on her head, and she came over to my table between sets and shared a Coca Cola with me. (The Fickle Pickle was a non-alcoholic coffee house.) She was always the shining star of whatever group she was in, and I will always remember her with fondness.
on June 24, 2015
Mama's big ones , a nicely put together remememberence of Cass Elliot from Dream a little dream of me, along with it's getting beter to my favorite You have to make your own kind of music from the Mann-Weil music song book, probably featured many of the celebrated "Wrecling crew personnel, a very nice collection of the great Mama Cass.
on April 19, 2003
...till I saw "Beautiful Thing". Of all of the great Mamas and Papas, you always knew she would be the most fun to know. It's truly a shame she wasn't with us long enough to escape the "guest spot on the Ed Sullivan show"-type arrangements backing her. But in a way that's a bit of the charm of this disc.
Now, feeling "groovy" and more than a little verklempt, I'm off to pick up the "All the Leaves Are Brown" compilation as well, for that desert island. (Has anyone ever checked ahead to make sure there's electricity?) Just wondering 8-)
on August 4, 2014
INCREDIBLE......this collection simply blows my mind. So uplifting I cannot imagine that even a person who is not a Cass fan would not find at least one cut that didn't move them. Since buying this I have bought several more to send to friends....especially if they need a pick me up !
on November 26, 2005
This is great and time to feel upbeat CD by the one and only Mama Cass. These songs give you the kind of feeling that you just can't find in much of today's music. Like so many songs of the era, there is a kind of hope and happiness for the future even though things were not necessarily that great during that time with the Vietnam War and the social unrest. I have never felt that Mama Cass has received the recognition that she deserved, but obviously she does live in history or we would not have this compilation of her best. Of course, there is an obvious lack of the rest of the Mamas and Papas, but ole Mama did very well on her own. The obvious stand out of the CD is "Dream A Little Dream of Me" which definitely should be always listed as a classic song. This song shows the ability that she had and could have developed if only she would have had more time. Other notables are "Make You Own Kind Of Music", "The Good Times Are Coming", and "Ain't Nobody Else like You." So, you are probably asking why I am only giving this CD three stars. Well, it is good, but I am a hard reviewer and I cannot put this into the five star categories. That category only exists for what I consider the very best. This is a good CD, but obviously not the best. However, I am very glad I have it in my collection and you will too if you enjoy the upbeat and positive music of this golden era and the magic voice of Cass.
on March 19, 2013
What can I say about Cass Elliott that other people haven't said better. This album which I have and now the CD will get a lot of playing time. She puts such feeling in all the songs that it makes listening just that much more enjoyable. That wonderful voice is missed.