Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 134 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 167 reviews
on June 2, 2016
I love this movie! And I love Barbara Stanwyck! In fact, the entire cast is wonderful! John Lund - always watchable; Phyllis Thaxter, cute and believable; personable Richard Denning, is adorable, as usual. And the rest of the cast are good too; Jane Cowl and Henry O'Neill as the sweet, devoted older generation, Esther Dale - Hollywood's perennial crusty, housekeeper and Lyle Bettger,as the evil, menacing,and thoroughly bad, guy! It has a well-written and entertaining script - what I like to think as a "cozy, film noir." And to top it off, one of my favorite directors, Mitchell Leisen (who might also have had a hand in developing the script.from a William Irish novel). How can you miss with talent like that? This movie does not disappoint. It may not be heralded as one of Stanwyck's best, but I think it's been very much overlooked. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story, well-told.
on April 5, 2012
I remember first seeing this film as a young teenager on the late show. I'm so glad it has been released on DVD. I won't go into specifics on the story because that has been done by previous reviewers. What I will say is that the DVD transfer is excellent....both sight and sound. Stanwyck was positively the greatest actress of her generation and possibly the greatest actress of all time. So honest, sincere and talented. This film shows her at the peak of her craft....a true artist. The story is engaging and keeps you in suspense from the first moment to the last. Not one wasted reel. Directed by Mitchell Leisen, it is film noir at its best. The interesting thing about this film is that Stanwyck did all her stunts in the train wreck scene, along with Phyllis Thaxter. Jane Cowl is deliciously sympathetic as the grandmother. Lyle Bettger is a true menace and John Lund, though bland, is made to look good by Stanwyck. This is one of her best!!
on September 7, 2015
There is one comment about this movie I disagree with that of Barbara Stanwyck being too old for this part. In my opinion she looks great. Over time she took on different look about her, whether it was her hair style and/ or change in makeup and carried her age very well (perhaps better than any other actress from her generation). I believe this to be the case in this movie.

Miss Stanwyck has the gift of expressing feelings that are so real and natural it draws the viewer into her role and one finds themselves totally raped up in her character. The role she plays in this movie she doesn't disappoint. One of her lessor known movies, well worth viewing.

I love Miss Stanwycks movies. I wish the Amazon Prime had more of them to view,
on July 18, 2016
I remember watching this as a child and the memory stuck with me for 40+ years. Finally watched it again and I was not disappointed. It deals with a subject that was strictly tabu at the time, that of unwed sex and unwed pregnancy. The scene where Barbara stanwyck beats on the door of the baby's father is striking. That sort of realism is not common in films of that age. Well worth the time it takes to watch. The ending surprised me also but don't want to reveal why.
on November 21, 2015
Barbara Stanwyck proves her genius in this outlandish thriller. I can't imagine anyone else carrying off her role, never mind scaling the heights she does in it. While the plot is way, way beyond belief, the script has real quality as there's not really a dull moment. It's very well directed. All of the actors are fine and even the bit players are presented well. Everything is kept in scale and carried forward with a steady pace. It's a surprisingly good movie-- a real work of craftsmanship.
on May 28, 2013
There are so many actor/actresses in this movie that are wonderful, but I watched it because I love Stanwyck. In this movie, every performance was flawless. Great mystery, romance, drama, it has it all. Please watch this movie about a discarded woman who has pretty much hit rock bottom when fate intervenes. Watch as she struggles with moral delimmas that would test even the best of us. What decisions would you make in her shoes? I think I would have done the exact same as she did.
Dooley Wilson from Casablanca makes the best scene in the movie. Watch and be amused during the scene where handsome Richard Denning escorts Stanwyck and bubbly Phyllis Thaxter to the dining car! God bless the good ol' days.
on July 28, 2016
Not worth the rental. I can't understand why this movie isn't offered as part of Prime - it was a wasted $3.99. It is a typical 1940s Stanwyck movie - one where she is not at her best.
Don't bother.
on May 8, 2012
A very good film. Good suspense and good story line. This is my favorite Stanwyck genra. She is great in all her films but I love her sweet yet tough roles best. Would highly recommend to all classic movie lovers!
on November 14, 2015
4 STARS FOR THE MOVIE ---- 2 STARS FOR THE PRINT ---- Good & entertaining melodrama with some noir tendencies. Many reviewers have already covered the plot of this flick so I just wanted to share picture quality. My experience with Olive Films has been that they restore older films & do a decent job of it. Not to Criterion standards but at least a decent improvement. Additionally they pick up flicks that Criterion would not. I own a good many Olive offerings & have satisfied in the past. ---- However the copy I received of "No Man" has many, many scenes where there is a huge amount of artifacting ( white sparkly flickering throughout the whole screen. I kid you not I felt like I received a pre restoration copy of the film and was very unpleasantly surprised. So if you just have to have this movie, it's tolerable for around $10 although in it's condition $5 - $7 is all it's really worth.
on April 11, 2013
This move is so riveting. There is romance, murder, intrigue, and one is caught up in the plot from the beginning. Barbara Stanwyck plays the type of part where feel you are going through her life with her. She is truly a gifted actress. Excellent acting by everyone. This is a movie that the whole family can watch (if the younger ones can stand black and white). It was made in the days when the producer didn't need to throw in nude scenes, foul language, or blood and gore to produce an excellent movie. Also, my husband and I never saw it ending the way that it did.

Well worth watching!!