Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 15, 2011
I have read several of Tozer's books and he truly is a modern day "prophet" (in the sense of forth-telling, not fore-telling). This Spirit filled book is full of empowering and edifying words...from cover to cover. Almost every "chapter" is only two pages long and provides a concise, to the point, impactful, and convicting discussion of that relative topic. Tozer exemplifies the directive that we (Christians) should spur each other onward and help eachother to live a Spirit lead and Spirit filled life. Profound teachings rich with illumination that could have only come from the Holy Spirit Himself. I would recommend this book (along with every other book I've read by Tozer) to anyone who truly wants to "go on with God"...in other words, if you are tired of holding hands with the world and truly want to subvert self (that is your sinful nature) and be "more than conquerors", this is a must read. This book will speak to you where you are at and convict you...we are not called to look like this world or live a defeated life...we are called to so much more, and it all starts with a right view of God and how He wants us to spend our short time here on this earth. Get this book and get ready to go deeper with God! Only one drawback...and this is something I've noticed with other Tozer reprints as well...the book itself is fairly poorly edited and contains some grammatical errors, incomplete sentences and wrongly used words. For example in one of his books (can't remember if it was this one) they use "feeling" instead of "filling" and there are other various mistakes where the word used does not make sense contextually and another word was meant. I would recommend getting an original edition if you can find it. It does not make sense to me how there can be so many mistakes in these reprints...the only thing I can think of is the printer used some kind of word/text recognition software when scanning the original books and then assumed that was good enough. At any rate, it is only a small complaint and really takes nothing away from the book itself as I was (for the most part) able to discern what Tozer meant and what the original text likely said.
11 comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 8, 2011
Any serious Christian of any denomination owes it to himself/herself to read Tozer. His insights and wisdom come from years of study, a thorough knowledge of scripture, and an undeniable relationship with God. He is to Christian thought as ballet is to dance: foundational and classic.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2017
A.W.Tozer is timeless wisdom, as up-to-date as the morning news. Tozer's time spent in prayer with God is reflected in direct wisdom without apology and lack of fluff--reading every word then rereading reveals gems of biblical wisdom written by few others delivered within pure biblical insight. There's none like Tozer. If you want to grow in knowledge of God, Tozer is an excellent teacher.
on September 20, 2013
Quotes from this entry include:

"The man who is seriously convinced that he deserves to go to hell is not likely to go there, while the man who believes that he is worthy of heaven will certainly never enter that blessed place....The man who inwardly believes that he is too good to perish will certainly perish unless he experiences a radical change of heart about himself."

"What we need to restore power to the Christian testimony is not soft talk about brotherhood but an honest recognition that two human races occupy the earth simultaneously: a fallen race that sprang from the loins of Adam and a regenerate race that is born of the Spirit through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus."

"True faith rests upon the character of God and asks no further proof than the moral perfections of the One who can not lie. It is enough that God said it, and if the statement should contradict every one of the five senses and all the conclusions of logic as well, still the believer continues to believe. 'Let God be true, but every man a liar,' is the language of true faith."

"Faith as the Bible knows it is confidence in God and His Son Jesus Christ; it is the response of the soul to the divine character as revealed in the Scriptures; and even this response is impossible apart from the prior inworking of the Holy Spirit."

"In this dim world of pious sentiment all religions are equal and any man who insists that salvation is by Jesus Christ alone is a bigot and a boor. So we pool our religious light, which if the truth is told is little more than darkness visible; we discuss religion on television and in the press as a kind of game, much as we discuss art and philosophy, accepting as one of the ground rules of the game that there is no final test of truth and that the best religion is a composite of the best in all religions. So we have truth by majority vote and thus saith the Lord by common consent. One characteristic of this sort of thing is its timidity. That religion may be very precious to some persons is admitted, but never important enough to cause division or risk hurting anyone's feelings. In all our discussions there must never be any trace of intolerance; but we obviously forget that the most fervent devotees of tolerance are invariably intolerant of everyone who speaks about God with certainty. And there must be no bigotry, which is the name given to spiritual assurance by those who do not enjoy it."

"Little by little evangelical Christians these days are being brainwashed. One evidence is that increasing numbers of them are becoming ashamed to be found unequivocally on the side of truth.... Great saints have always been dogmatic. We need right now a return to a gentle dogmatism that smiles while it stands stubborn and firm on the Word of God that liveth and abideth forever."

"Tolerance, charity, understanding, good will, patience and other such words and ideas are lifted from the Bible, misunderstood and applied indiscriminately to every situation...the effort to achieve unity at the expense of truth and righteousness is another. To seek to be friends with those who will not be the friends of Christ is to be a traitor to our Lord. Darkness and light can never be brought together by talk. Some things are not negotiable."
on August 18, 2017
I know this was written before my time, but you would never know it. He so precisely describes and explains things about the believer and the church. The spiritual battles that have and are going on in our world, lives and churches. It was so good I think I'm gonna go back to the beginning and read it again.
on August 21, 2015
Tozer is my favorite Christian author, so this review may be bias. I have read most all of Tozer's books. And, with any author that has written several books, some are better than others. This book is in the better than others category. Tozer has the gift of amazing insight to all things dealing with God, and he is blessed with a writing ability to convey such thoughts in a clear way.

Don't get this if you are looking for a light read. Sure, you can read the chapters quickly and without much thought. But, that would be a disservice. That would be like hurriedly eating a meal at a 5 star restaurant. The book is relatively short with over 30 chapters, which makes the chapters short too. 3-5 pages. But, each chapter provokes deep insightful thinking. I read a chapter or two at one sitting with time between the next reading for thought and reflection. Course, that is the case for most of Tozer's books.

Oh yes... the book is about the spiritual side of Christianity. As Tozer puts it - we are spirits with a body, not a bodies with a spirit.
on February 5, 2017
Good stuff, but a hard read, only because Tozer is not for the faint of heart.
on October 1, 2017
I have read Tozer for many years and this work was not in our library so I bought it. It is every bit as edifying as his other works and it is greatly appreciated in our day even if it was not in his day.
on November 20, 2017
Great information but I need a dictionary for every page so if you want to take the time to really digest the information you may need a dictionary to read along with it so I just take it one page a day
on March 29, 2016
THIS BOOK BLEW ME AWAY!!! THIS BOOK COULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN YESTERDAY AS IT IS SO RELEVANT TO TODAY. I just finished and can't wait to start over again. I highlighted so many items! I don't want to forget anything. (Just a heads-up though: The book must have been electronically transferred from the paper version as some words were not translated correctly, i.e., "and" was written as "anal," and other shorter words were incorrect as well. If you figured this out quickly, then you were able to catch them later on. There is a note here in Kindle saying that the publisher was notified of the errors.)