Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 210 reviews
on March 4, 2017
Top notch psychological and physical adventure thriller based on true events. Done recently in totally grimmer light by Leonardo DiCaprio in "Revenant." Prefer this earlier version. Richard Harris is powerful and believable in this off-beat "western." John Huston is outstanding as the Fur Trapper Captain. They haul their boat through the wilderness - the last falling apart emblem of Huston's essentially lost command. Harris is mauled by a bear and left for dead. His agonized will to live and pursue vengeance on his betrayers drives the film. Where it differs from the modern effort - equally good in its mindset and atmosphere - is in the resolution of Harris' murderous rage. And that's all I'll say. A terrific and engaging film. One of Harris' and Huston's unsung best.
on February 28, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies. I'am all about the mountain men and the way they lived. I actually have a copie of DVD that is quite old. It's a
bad one as well, and the movie is not very clear. So when I saw this on Blu Ray I jumped right on it. What difference in this one, everything is
very clear. Along with it being a great movie, now I can really enjoy watching it again.
A precursor to the Revenant, but very old fashioned in the filming, and not that engaging when compared to modern films. Nonetheless if you liked the Revenant you should see this. One very disturbing scene (before animal rights) where wolves eat at a Buffalo still alive and kicking. Effective, but I very much doubt this was a chance encounter and more or less a set-up that left a great animal to lie there and suffer while filmmakers looked on.
on October 11, 2016
I like this version much better than the historically inaccurate "The Revenant." In addition, I'm not much of a Leonardo fan. This movie with Richard Harris is a much different take on the Hugh Glass bear attack story. Although the only similarity to Man in the Wilderness and The Revenant if a bear attack, both movies are essentially revenge or reckoning movies. Give this movie a chance. It's a nice period piece. I might add neither Man in the Wilderness nor the Revenant are historically accurate.
on March 3, 2016
I saw this movie, originally, back in the 70's when it first came out. It had a formative effect on me. Richard Harris' character's treatment of Native Americans was so opposite from the normal Westerns of those days. As good or better than Revenant, which is based on the same story.
on August 10, 2016
I enjoyed this movie very much. have watched it several times. I would like to buy a copy of the movie.
I think it is better than Revenant. which seems to be copy.
on February 9, 2016
From what I remembered and experienced in seeing this again, this was a much better film than the much touted 'The Revenant' for all of its Hollywood backing. Sometimes newer isn't better, and history hasn't been afforded any favors by the passage of time. For the budget and the time period in which the films were made, I preferred this version. I gave it 4 stars because the score was a bit dodgy, but that was the early 70s for you. Good film, Great cast. Watch for James Doohan in an unexpected casting.
on April 1, 2017
The movie with Leonardo Cappuccino was better.
on July 31, 2017
Of course this is in Spanish. I thought it was in English. I returned it.
on June 22, 2016
This was a first crack at telling the story of Hugh Glass, the mountain man in the newer movie The Revenant. In this older film they did not use Hugh Glass, but Zack Bass instead. Anyway, I liked this older version best.