Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on February 4, 2012
I'm a system admin at my company for about 6 different applications. I'm constantly barraged on a daily basis with requests for things from user end support to applying updates and changes and info on the latest tech so I am pretty busy. Not to mention when I go home I'm busy with my family and friends (along with their tech needs). Nothing wrong with it, I love my work and what I do. I saw this book, read the little bit that's offered and it addressed my life to a T so I picked it up.

Simply put, any sys admin can (and probably needs) this book. It is a little outdated in regards to some of the methods the author suggests using like a day planner or PDA. (Just replace those with "smartphone") Overall the technics and methods the author talks about really can help you. A lot of it is common sense and you'll realize that when you read it but if you haven't already thought of them and implemented them then this will help you. I've already increased my productivity and organization.

I'm still working on dealing with how to say no and set the proper expectations. (its a side effect of me being a nice person.) but I have become better with dealing with super pushy manager types. I've made a publicly accessible schedule of activities and direct people to it now when they have requests so they can get an idea of whats going on and how quickly I may be able to get to their requests.

This book was written from the unix administrator perspective and has a lot of reference to that side of computing. However, Windows admins can benefit from the methods the author talks about. It's a fun read and not dry and boring like most technical books. The flow is logical but also set up so you can put sticky notes in certain areas so you can reference them later and you don't have to read the two paragraphs before just to remember what the author was talking about.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who does system administration but anyone who does other tech work. Even if you only get two things out of this book, its still two thing to make your life a little easier.
on October 9, 2017
Works as expected!
on May 27, 2007
I attended an eponymous presentation given by the author. Tom is a good presenter and a good writer and the sort of smart-but-easy-going guy you would want to work with. The whole idea of "time management" is especially important for systems administrators, who tend to juggle a lot of things at once while also handling user interruptions, and reporting to diffuse layers of management.

Tom does an excellent job of describing the problems of getting things done and managing customer expectations effectively, and explains various processes that one can adopt to improve on that. He emphasizes that it is a long-term, bit-by-bit process where you give different self-management methodologies a shot, and then as you find things that work, you expand the domain of your self-time-management to be more effective not merely in the field of Systems Administration, but life-in-general.

I myself am still experimenting with various daily regimens and have yet to find a system that works really well for me . . . but if Tom hadn't gotten into my head the importance of time management, I would still be spinning my wheels in ignorance as to how one might go about being more effective.

I dug this book so much that I gave it as a "starting day" gift when we hired our second SysAdmin. Tom was gracious enough to sign that copy--thanks, Tom!

-danny
on February 22, 2008
Tom Limoncelli is a well-known system administrator, author and orator. He speaks at conferences around the globe on issues ranging from firewall security to time management. He has also published papers at conferences such as the Usenix LISA on a wide variety of topics including innovative firewall techniques, coordinating massive network changes, models for improving customer support, and the security issues related to firing your system administrator.

I like the book "Time Management for System Administrators" because it is written BY system administrator FOR system administrators.

The book covers not only the general time management principles, but also valuable advices for system administrators: how to make use of automation, how to cope with multiple customers, bosses and tasks, and so on.

In addition to this book, I can recommend the other great titles that I liked much: "Never Check E-Mail In the Morning" by Julie Morgenstern, "Getting Things Done" by David Allen and "Time Drive" by Gleb Arkhangelsky.
on June 3, 2013
This book changed the way I approach my job as a sysadmin, and my boss took notice and purchased a copy for the office to pass around and read. It helped me take control of the factors in my job that were causing me to lose focus and avoid major projects, some (like automation, also discussed in the book) that would make my job easier if I could just sit down and put four straight hours into them. It has great tips for end-user and boss relationship building, and while the terminology is a bit outdated, the job itself never changes.
on September 6, 2010
From the outset, I would just like to say that this book exceeded my expectations. I have been a systems/network administrator for a software development company for the last 4 years. I find myself in the same situations constantly... a viscous perpetual cycle. Despite my technical abilities and my aptitude for learning, I have (had) a tendency to drop the ball (ranging from customer inquiries to my boss'). As an admin, you find yourself working on "critical" issues which ultimately lead to tasks that you planned to get done but ultimately forgot. If this sounds like you, PLEASE do yourself a favor and get this book. Time management is often trivialized and overlooked in our field. This is one of the books I always find myself referencing :)
on December 26, 2013
The ideas presented in this book are simple and easy to follow.

Reading this book helped me realize a lot of inefficiencies that plague me throughout my workday and have allowed me to make positive changes that have made my work much less stressful. Even if you don't adopt all of the practices in the book like keeping a ranked, daily agenda, certain practices can be adopted immediately to help you remember more, forget less, and accomplish more of your goals on a daily basis.
on October 12, 2017
If you are a SA and you work in a shop that's hectic,you want to improve at you profession and have a work life balance....why haven't you purchased this book yet!?!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2014
As a sysad w/ problems keeping my attention on the job (ooh shiny), this is a book I should have picked up much earlier. Goes over the basics of trying to keep down distractions, and drawing out a plan for the tasks that are coming up. I know it's made for a lot of different sysads, but I wish it went into more detail about the task list and planning specifics. His blog, [...] is pretty useful, so give that a look as well. Good luck!
on April 1, 2014
This book is a must have for anyone who works in IT or as a developer. It has saved me time and time again when it comes to making sure all my work is getting done.

It doesn't just cover what you should be doing to make yourself more efficient, but how you can also manage your boss and coworkers so that they understand your workload and get off your back. This book sits on my desk and I recommend it to anyone having trouble managing tasks.