Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 16, 2011
I bought this to carry stuff to school. I wanted something light, and still looks semi-professional. (Leather bags are too heavy with all the stuff I have to lug around and since I sometimes have to wear a suit to school.)
This bag is light and not too wide, which worked for me. I find if my bag is too wide I have to be really careful not to bump into people with my bag on the subway. This bag is wide enough to fit a binder or two, and will fit my netbook (if you have a huge laptop, you will need a bigger bag - and no padding for laptops by the way, I have a sleeve for my netbook). The bag will double in depth with the side zipper and that lets me carry quite a bit of stuff. I can fit one 1 inch binder, one 1 1/2 inch textbook, one notebook, netbook, cords for the netbook, and a tumbler for my coffee all in this bag.
Of course, if you are going to be carrying as much stuff as I will, I recommend that you by the shoulder strap pad with the bag. It really does make a difference!
As for the color, I bought grey, which I thought would be darker in person, but the picture here is pretty true to color. Would have liked it to be a little darker, but it works for me.
Oh and one comment about the design, I wish it had a handle on the bag so I could carry it with my hand sometimes, but the shoulder strap is the only way to carry this bag.
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on April 25, 2016
Good size for everyday use. Decent amount of pockets. The zippers can be a little loud----lots of jingling. The clips aren't very useful and just end up getting in the way. Great material and look. Durable. Nice wide strap.
on May 7, 2012
I purchased the Europa medium messenger in brown (It is a Chestnut color). It is a very well made messenger that expands four to five inches unzipped and doubles when unzipped (but only on the bottom). At first I was apprehensive about the strap. It is attached (sewn) directly to the bag and can not be replaced. I was looking forward to putting my own strap on it, but the strap is very durable. There are 2 main compartments (I would have liked one zippered) with a zippered bag in the one. There is an outer zippered pocket and it is perfect for a nook or kindle type ereader. On the flap, there is a zippered sleeve and in the back, an open pocket. All said, it wasn't entirely what I thought I was purchasing but it is a really nice messenger that fits most smaller umbrellas (Mine has a wooden handle that sticks out) and carries a lot of items for the size and weight. There is also a website that you may register the bag for a lifetime limited warranty (the bag has a serial number... no joke!) The messenger is perfect if you work in a metro environment as it is small but roomy, durable and resists water very well. I would buy another.
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 22, 2012
Did a bunch of research on the best style bag for my half hour commute to work via public transportation and occasional work meeting and this bag is perfect (size medium). I usually just carry my lunch, a book/magazine, and my meeting binder, but it also fits my 13 inch macbook and can unzip to extend for some extra storage. One of my favorite features is the open pocket that rests against your back/hip to put a book or magazine in. It's really convenient because I don't have to unclip the bag and lift up the flap if I'm on the bus/train and want to get some quick reading in. I agree with another user's post that it would be nice if it had a smaller handle on top if you wanted to carry like a brief case, but it would also take away from the simplicity/sleekness of the bag. Great quality materials and all around solid bag if you're not looking to carry your life around on a daily basis.
3 helpful votes
on April 2, 2015
Great bag I use it for school and travel. I love all the different compartments and the option to expand the bag with the zipper!. Love the grey color too! I own a smaller black Manhattan Portage bag as well. It is at least 10 years old or more and has virtually no signs of wear. These bags are well worth the price because of how strong and durable they are. I also recommend purchasing the small shoulder strap for it if you plan to carry heavy items.
on February 23, 2015
The best messenger bad. I'm writing this review 16 months since I bought it. I use it for work and college. Still looks like new despite being used 7 days a week for 8+ hrs. It has plenty of space I fit my 13 in laptop and textbooks. Very durable. Can be worn with suit or casual.
Yes, it's pricey, but considering how long it lasted, through all types of weather, and duration, well worth the price. I recommend this product guys
Buy it you won't be sorry
on October 30, 2012
I bought this bag a few months ago to have something a little more professional than a backpack for going to and from work. I am incredibly happy with this product. It is well made, durable, and stylish. The bag has plenty of space for bringing things I need to work (laptop, power cables, headphones, notebooks, etc.). I would not recommend this bag for much more as it is a compact bag, but that suits me just fine. I pair this bag with a 13-inch Case Logic laptop sleeve and it fits my 13-inch Macbook Air with room to breath. I assume it would fit a 13-inch Macbook Pro with ease. However, this bag IS NOT big enough to fit a laptop over 13 inches! So be aware of that when purchasing this bag. Overall I am very happy with it and will continue to purchase Manhattan Portage products in the future.
on November 28, 2013
nice messenger. It has plenty of space inside. There is a sleeve pocket in which i was able to fit my Macbook Pro 13" and iPad, BUT the macbook pro was a very tight fit. If your laptop is bigger than a macbook pro 13 then it will not fit. next to this sleeve is a small 3" zipper pocket, which i can put my charger cords in. On the opposite side of the bag on the outside is another compartment opened/closed by a zipper (pretty spacious). Then when you close the bag, there is another zipper compartment on the outside. and on the back of the bag there another open compartment where you could put folders in. Very nice and durable. 2 things I wish though- is that the bag came with a carry handle at the top and a pad on the strap. :(
on November 7, 2012
This was my first experience with a Manhattan Portage product, and I am very impressed. Everything about it suggests it is quality. It is fairly minimalistic, but it pulls it off well. It's the perfect size for carrying a 13 inch macbook. The expansion feature is very helpful for those days when you need to pack something extra like a rain jacket. The material is very strong, and I imagine I will get many years out of it. It is fairly water resistant, at least good enough for getting stuck in a light rain.

If you pack it with heavy items (i.e. several books and/or electronics) it will start to weigh on your shoulder during a long commute. The separately-sold shoulder pad is certainly helpful.

The only drawback for me is that I like having an external bottle holder, and this does not offer one. But no big deal. It is still easily a 5 star product.
on June 12, 2015
This is my second Manhattan bag. I still have my first, it's more than 12 years old and still used everyday. The new Portage Medium Messenger Bag is similar to my original but has more compartments, making it a little easier to keep organized.
These bags are very well made, light and basically indestructible. I would recommend them without any reservations.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.