Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 684 reviews
on February 23, 2017
I bought this Blu-ray after the series was removed from Netflix, and I'm glad I did because it's a great series. It has some exaggerated claims and History Channel style embellishment, but I love the reenactments. It's hard to find any decent historical reenactment series and these are very fun to watch, if silly at times -- Paul the Apostle doing parkour to escape city guards is a highlight. It only gets four stars, however, because I was upset to discover this Blu-ray has no captions or subtitles! Even Netflix had cranked out some CC for their streamed version. I have both auditory processing issues and noisy friends, so it's more than a slight disappointment.
on December 27, 2012
I love documentaries, and this is the best documentary I have ever seen ! The way it was created, with lots of dramatization and special effects makes it fun to watch, which is great for learning and remembering material ! I was literally glued to the screen, watching it very intently. Very broad in scope, it goes over a vast body of material, so it does not get into a lot of details about even some of the most significant developments in history, but that is understandable given the ambitious nature of the project. One of the things I loved about the documentary is it tells a lot of stories of lesser known people and their impact on development of civilization. That makes it more memorable and easier to relate to the material, as opposed to just having very sweeping and impersonal narrative.
I recommend everyone to watch it, but do know that it can get a bit violent since the history of Mankind was steeped in blood and warfare.
This is the first documentary I have ever seen that was associated with the History Channel and I am absolutely impressed ! It inspired me to buy two other sets from them.
on February 12, 2013
I read several of the reviews and saw much of the series before purchase. In context I understand some of the criticism of hyped history, however some of that criticism does come off as a bit elitist and pedantic. I liken it to advising one not to visit South Africa unless they have at least 2 years to properly absorb the culture and nuances of the history. The series is a thumbnail sketch and may well ignite interest to delve further into certain subject matter.

The producers needed to capture a balance between plodding historical advance and entertainment. It is not per se a pure documentary and as such, living in the luxury of no need of commercial success. The question is simple; is the viewer better served with or without this material being available. I believe on the whole it is a positive production even with its light approach. We'll call it the Kenny G of jazz. Perhaps one will eventually find Coltrane once set upon the path.

That all said, the series is still of better quality than 98% of what people view on a daily basis.
on December 6, 2012
I am a middle school history teacher so I purchased this to show my students. So far we have only watched about the Stone Age but my students BEGGED me to leave it on! They can't wait until we get to Egypt to watch more. I have several students who have been less than enthusiastic about history so when I hear those students leaving to go home & saying they're going to go home to watch the History Channel, and come back the next day actually having done it...very encouraging :)
22 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2013
A very clever presentation of the scope of history. This is relatively exciting and draws the viewer into critical issues of world history. Certainly an excellent product for high school history, as an adjunct to present syllabi that seem to focus on issues rather than the sweep of history. It shows how these issues and personalities fit into the whole. I might use this teaching English and History to migrants in Australia. I use it with the subtitles so they can read and hear the narrator who speaks rather fast. There are different narrators for different regions.
on January 4, 2013
Finally, something not reality TV related from the History channel! This is a great series. Josh Brolin does a really good job of narrating. The series begins with a very broad, high-level overview of how we came to be. It then proceeds into specific events and turning points in human history. It spotlights certain battles as well as influential individuals. I would loved to have had this series when I was growing up. It can really open a lot of doors into new facets of interest for beginning history buffs. My only complaint is some of the people they interview for opinions. Simply being a celebrity actor/singer does not make you qualified for historical commentary.
on October 8, 2016
I loved this DVD set and it's companion - America: The Story of US. Beautiful cinematography and computer simulated graphics. Really well done, I use it to supplement my world history textbook in my 5th grade classroom.
on August 24, 2017
As Advertised - Good Condition
on November 19, 2016
Though I may disagree with some of the information, it was well made.
on July 1, 2014
Great!! Makes you feel as if you are right there in that stage in history. Not a lot of dates and names. No droning on and on with boring info. Makes history come alive. Connects historical events to depict a broader picture of history. I love that it covers may civiliations, not just western. It gave me more appreciation for the drive and inventiveness of human-kind. As a history buff, I found it extremely interesting and entertaining. I highly recommend it. I have yet to finish the season, but after the first episode, I went ahead and bought the whole season, I continued to enjoy the next 4 episodes.