Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 18, 2016
If you're in pain, read this book. If you're scared, read this book. If you are lost, read this book. If you are happy, read this book. If you have time, read this book. If you don't have time, read this book. Read this book, read this book.

"We who lived in the concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
263 helpful votes
264 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on September 23, 2016
I read this in college and ordered again to read some 40 years later. Frankl relates the severe conditions in the concentration camp. Those without any purpose seemed to perish. Those that had developed purpose and meaning to the harsh conditions got out of bed every morning to face another unbearable day. this book is a classic. anything less than 5 stars would be a reflection on me.
97 helpful votes
98 helpful votes
on November 16, 2017
This book engages the question of human existence and meaning in a way that is captivating. It forces us to look at suffering and recognize the need for hope in the world. The book gives a psychological perspective of humanity and puts the reader on a search to find meaning.
on July 18, 2017
Everyone should read this book. It is truly inspiring. Written by an intelligent man who went through hell yet managed to retain his dignity and his purpose to go on living.
on March 3, 2015
Optimism in the face of dehumanization. He has said far more eloquently and with a greater frame of reference then I, but it is the same idea. "We do not live for reality; we live for our fantasy." No matter what is happening to you, if you can create a story around it and future possibilities than you can survive. Many of the depressive moments I have seen is when the story that you believed would be yours is ripped away. (loss of career, relationship, physical ability, loss of faith) He encourages, whether it will be real or not, to create a new story of the purpose of your existence. That spin of a story will lift you above your present circumstance. A horrific account of man's inhumanity to man, but the solution of a whole ideology that I can totally get behind. A must read.
VINE VOICEon February 16, 2013
Much of what we know about life in various Nazi concentration camps comes from Frankl, I realized as I finally read his book. I bought it when I was trying to support a friend who was enduring one of life's random tragedies. I do not believe in a god who never sends us more than we can bear. In fact, I don't believe God sends us good or ill events, and Frankl's work supports my view. What he does show is that under the most heinous of circumstances, humans have the ability to make moral choices, and that is powerful information.

Frankl-- who survived when his pregnant wife, parents and other relatives did not-- went on to show that not all prisoners were moral and all guards immoral. Within extremely narrow parameters, both had the freedom to embrace life and to aid others. He was also insightful about what signaled impending death. I guess I should not be surprised that after the war, Frankl opposed the theory of collective guilt; he was loathe to condemn whole societies, which is what makes him out of step with many Holocaust scholars and (in my reading) with other prominent moral teachers of his era.

The last part of the book sets out his theories of logotherapy in which he held that the purpose of psychotherapy is to help patients make meaning of their lives rather than find happiness or resolve various complexes. It's interesting that logotherapy is almost unknown today, although some of his ideas seem to bubble up in existential therapies. As it turns out, Man's Search is condensed from longer writings he produced after liberation. The book in English is so lucid that I forgot that he lived all this experience "in German." Unlike many psychological writings, this one does not suffer from the restriction of categories that don't quite translate. I suspect that's one reason is still resonates with readers as it did with me.
on November 14, 2017
To say that the book is life changing is a bit strong, but it is certainly a book that makes one reflect on life and it provides insight into man's nature.
on May 28, 2016
Beautifully written, Viktor E. Frankl experiences on the Second World War's various concentration camps, as told by him from a psychological stance, is one example of how we can find meaning in our life in the worst of times. The book is separated in two parts. The first one being the psychological aspect of life in Nazi Germany, from the voluntary registration of jews, to life in concentration camps, to the liberation of these priisioners of war. The second part is the application of that meaning in theraphy, called Logotheraphy, on that you'll have to read the book.
on August 22, 2014
I have used quotes from this book for years without having read this man's amazing work. He survived the concentration camps of World War II, but this book is less about those dreadful years of that journey and far more about his insights as to how and why some people survive such unspeakable horrors. His life philosophy and perspective create the theoretical framework for his practice as a psychiatrist. It resonated beautifully with me. Surprisingly, for such a deep topic, this book was easy to read, especially the first half where he is describing his experiences in the camps and how they revealed how finding meaning in life is the key survival strategy. Superb!
2 helpful votes
on November 11, 2017
I’ve read this book many times. So much that I’ve lost count. Always discovering and rediscovering profound insights and inspiration. Filled with truth.