Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on November 18, 2016
If you're in pain, read this book. If you're scared, read this book. If you are lost, read this book. If you are happy, read this book. If you have time, read this book. If you don't have time, read this book. Read this book, read this book.

"We who lived in the concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
11 comment| 336 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 23, 2016
I read this in college and ordered again to read some 40 years later. Frankl relates the severe conditions in the concentration camp. Those without any purpose seemed to perish. Those that had developed purpose and meaning to the harsh conditions got out of bed every morning to face another unbearable day. this book is a classic. anything less than 5 stars would be a reflection on me.
0Comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2018
When I first started reading Man's Search.... last week I was repulsed by the descriptions of the concentration camp experiences. How could humans be like that? Even though of course we have known about them for 70 years now, it is horrible to read about them. My temptation was to put the book aside, I told someone it was "depressing." But how glad I am that I persevered (because it was our Book Club choice this month.) Ultimately, this book is a hopeful paen to humankind's ability to rise above all suffering, to find our own individual meaning to our existence and in that way make sense of why we are in the world and why we should continue in it, doing our very best. This book transcends religion even as I recognize so much of what Frankl writes in my own religious beliefs.
Truly a must read for people as soon as they are old enough to understand it--perhaps mid teenage years.
on January 18, 2018
Still an extraordinary book. What is the meaning of life? How do we find meaning in life? Comes shrink wrapped and ready to present as gift. Includes excellent commentary and updates in afterwards. Highly recommended reading for all adults.
on January 17, 2018
Profound insight. Meaningful. Think I read in college, but was good to read again. Giving to my son who is a senior as it should provide valuable insight on life and help with senior speech.
on August 10, 2017
A little twist of ideas as to why some people survive the worst and why others don't survive medium bad. I found it convincing on the ideology.
on August 28, 2017
I am just now to the place he talks about how thinking of his wife and having mental conversations with her gave him strength to stay alive! Wonderful book...
on July 10, 2017
A nice read about the importance of finding meaning in your life. Is through meaning that you can find happiness and purpose in your journey.
on March 3, 2016
This is a great book from both the personal story aspect as well as for its philosophical aspects. Through personal story and other examples he shows how man can rise beyond his circumstances to find meaning for living. All life is important and meaningful. This is a critical message for today's world that treats human life as only having value or meaning based on its utility. Although I am not into psychology at all, I still found the second part of the book about logotherapy to be interesting, although not as powerful as the first part.
on March 9, 2014
I found the first half of the book so, so moving. Viktor Frankl is one special man. I became a little lost in some of his words in the 2nd half of the book but not entirely. The meaning that he was trying to get across wasn't lost on me. His thoughts on how to survive the most deplorable living conditions (if one could call them living), did help me with how to manage my own thoughts on my everyday problems. We think we have problems until you read what he went through in the concentration camps. If you take your time and it isn't a big book, I am confident you will benefit somehow from his such wise, wise thoughts. A very profound man. If you have problems, I recommend this book.