Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 12, 2017
This is a book that changed my life. I was given a copy when I was 15 and had a lot going on, at the time I didn't realize what a gem I have been handed. Years later I finally read the book and it changed the way I view everything. I cannot tell you how many times I've referenced this book in papers I've written while working on my Master's. This book has helped me through depression and changing the way I think to make my life better and to accomplish my goals. I have given a copy of this book too many people in my life because I want to spread what I gained from it to others. If you only read one book as an adult it should be this one. Obviously does not a happy cheery go lucky story, but it is one everyone should hear about human resiliency and finding the reason why people continue on even in the darkest of times. Viktor Frankl is my favorite nonfiction writer and a huge inspiration to me.
on June 6, 2015
Viktor Frankl's book essentially includes two works: his story from Nazi concentration camp and his philosophy he dubbed "Logotherapy". His story of life in concentration camp speaks for itself. Logotherapy, on the other hand, is an interesting school of thought. Logotherapy in this book is not deeply investigated but if you want more you can try Frankl's other book 'The Will to Meaning'. In a nutshell, Frankl said that it is our duty to find meaning in life. The meaning can change from moment to moment so it need not necessarily be a grand or life-long meaning. Just right now, what can do you? He encourages others to identify things they can do, such as create something (produce something that was not present before you made it), take something (absorb something from others), and finally adjust your attitude. The adjustment of your attitude is the last thing you have control over once everything else has been taken from you, according to Frankl.
on October 20, 2015
There's a good reason this little book has stayed in print since the end of WWII. It's a gem once you get past the dire observations in the concentration camp . I skipped the whole concentration camp section the first time and went back to read a few pages at a sitting until I could detach from the horrors and appreciate Frankl's uncanny ability to endure such atrocities and use them in the e to render his insights utterly profound. Doesn't get any better than this IMHO. A good way to spend a quiet week end.
on January 9, 2018
Great book Gives an in-depth analysis of how prisoners in the death camps of Nazi Germany survived the inhumane treatment that they were subjected to and how they were able to go back to living in a normal society
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2005
First of all, this book is definitely worth reading, the first part where the author talks about his experience in the concentration camps - how any of our small issues are nothing compared to what has already happened in this world and how mankind has been able to overcome it all.

The second part where he talks about logotherapy - gets our brains to work. The idea behind this book is that, when man has lost everything, there is still something they can pursue in their mind, there is still something which he they can look forward to.

Coming from his own experience in the concentration camps, there was something he was looking for, even when he had lost everything in life and there was nothing else to look forward other than to be gassed. He also motivated his comrades to look for something - to search for a meaning in life and to isolate their minds from the external happenings.

As a general read, it is worth reading, it gets us thinking in new lines.

But is it applicable to give new hope to people ? Can it motivate a terminally ill cancer patient to look for something ?

What would have Lance Armstrong have to say about logotherapy ? I think Lance would have acknowledged it - having recovered from cancer to become a champion again. Again it is all about finding new meaning/new hopes to continue and sustain life, even in the brink of hopelessness.
on February 6, 2018
Informative and does explain lots about when a person overcomes when maybe he should not have been able to do so. However, sometimes the wording and more written for students who understand this type of stuff.
on October 5, 2017
One of the most influential books ever written. Everyone should read it.
on November 19, 2017
A must read for every human, especially in the current American entitled mind-set
on May 11, 2015
Not quite finished reading this book but find it immensely interesting.

"Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love." While I hear Frankl speaking to the romantic love shared with his wife, does this not hold true for every relation of the human?
2 people found this helpful
on January 23, 2018
This is a book everyone should read. It is difficult to read the story of this man that spent time in holocaust camps. However the incredible understandings and awareness and heart that he got from that experience changes the reader for the better. I recommend it to everyone.