Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

but weep for
yourselves, and for
your children.

Luke 23:28

This is a story about different truths. Truths I would say are needful in order for me to continue my life journey successfully. The Copt answers the questions from a rabbi, a neighbor, a merchant, a young woman, etc. Each of these people asks a significant question of the Copt.

By the way the Egyptians ultimately gave the papyri to the Coptic museum in Cairo, Egypt. The papyri were found in the 1940's and went through different hands before landing in the Cairo museum. Anyway, it felt almost too good to be true to read questions I have wondered about myself.
None of the life questions bored me to tears. I sat in bed or on the couch reading at my normal rate of speed but praying all of the wonderful, wise and beautiful answers would stick in my head for the future. Then, I remembered a good goal would be to reread the book. Then, I will journal part of the book for reference. It is amazing how PAULO COEHLO could write in such a simple way the answers to questions only owned by wise men. The people ask questions about solitude, defeat, anxiety, etc. Rather than making life seem too difficult to live the author made life's journey seem like one I could take with ease if I only tried and didn't mind failing along the way. My impression is that it's important never to give up. I thought of a sermon I once heard. The minister begins the sermon with the words Never Give Up. He said those words ten times in succession. He told us Winston Churchill had spoken those three words in a famous speech.

Thank goodness the Manuscript Found In Accra leaves room for failure. I'm one of those people who have to practice, practice, and practice until I get it right. Then, I might fall down all over again. I need that room for Grace. Here is what is written about failure in Manuscript Found in Accra. "Failure does not allow us to dream. Its motto is: "Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed." Paulo Coelho also writes about death. This is the one time we can't run away from ourselves or get a friend to walk with us around a dark corner. He calls death "the unwanted visitor." I think the most important words were about feeling useless. Again, the author writes "Nothing in this world is useless in the eyes of God. Not a leaf from a tree falls, not a hair from your head, not even an insect dies....Don't try to be useful. Walk neither faster nor slower than.....

There are many words written about dreams, taking risks and what if feels like not to take a risk and settle for the humdrum mode of life. In the author's words "I will look at everything and everyone as if for the first time, especially the small things that I have grown used to...." As seen this is a powerful book. Reading the questions is also delightful like the main meal when I'm so hungry the feeling is unbearable.coelhopaulo
on November 4, 2015
Amazing book of vignettes and thought provoking ways of looking at various aspects of life, love, self and learning.
Classic Paulo Coelho, and a great addition to anyone's library of his works.

It's the kind of stuff that makes you want to take a day and just mull it over before continuing on to read the next nugget of wisdom, much like the Alchemist - but these are easier to grasp/find because they're not necessarily woven into the story. Each piece of wisdom is an answer to a direct question. Nuanced and thoughtful, the type of book that invites multiple re-reads to refresh your perspective.
on August 13, 2014
I am a huge fan of Paulo Coelho... He is an amazing writer and storyteller. One of his books would come along with the right life lesson that I needed at that moment. However, this book fell far short of what I normally expect to receive when I read Paulo Coelho. It's full of the life lessons and bits of wisdom that we expect from him, but there really is no story and that is where the disappointment comes in. I haven't even finished the book... although I probably will eventually, if for no other reason to add one more book on my Goodreads book challenge list. (It won't even take that long to read). If I need a life lesson or something to ponder, I'll re-read some of his other works. Or, just wait impatiently until "Adultery" is published next week and shipped to me. :)
on October 4, 2014
Oh, my! Paulo Coelho does it again, and again, and again. Accra is an important read, full of poetic and poignant insights and profound simplicity. It is truly the sacred text as is described in the read itself. I feel as though I need to have it beside my Bible, my Quran, and my Buddhist scriptures, seriously. It is the kind of read where everything is ingested and you're left without words to convey the message--suspended between being muted and overflowing with expression. It should come as no surprise that Accra is beautifully written; I do not believe Coelho knows any other way. I tore through the read while simultaneously wanting to slow and savor lest it ending, and it has. I am left holding my gratitude close to my heart, smiling.
on October 18, 2013
I like the book for its universal and brave messages. However, it reminds me so much of Gibran's "The Prophet", that sometimes, when reading, i was not sure whether it was Gibran or Coelho. I am not saying this close similarity is necessarily a bad thing, just that I prefer thinking about Coelho and Gibran (writers in general) individually. In this case, the two intertwine enormously. Anyway, I recommend it as a book full of wisdom to which it is always good to return. Especially if we try to follow Goethe's recommendation: Every day one should at least listen to a little song, read a good poem, look at a fine painting, and, if possible, say a few reasonable words."
on May 4, 2013
When I purchased this book, I was expecting something along the lines of historical or historical fiction. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to find this to be a really great inspirational book that almost leans towards a daily meditational reading. Each chapter is succinct, quick/easy to read, and teaches another great "truism" about living life right. I found myself highlighting and ear-marking several pages for quick future reference. I was also occasionally surprised by the Copt's answers to some questions, saying things that made me feel more realistic about the human experience instead of guilty about our human nature. This is a fast, easy, unique book from which I think everyone would gain some inspiration for daily living.
on February 25, 2015
I usually love Coelho's writing, but this is The Prophet redone.
on March 4, 2014
Interesting take on life with many quotable insights. A good smooth read broken up into morsels (and therefore a good book to take on travel or in situations where you might not have continuous time). The book borrows its format from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet: People ask a wise man about the human aspects of life-- fear, courage, defeat, loneliness etc. and he relates answers in metaphors which can be alternately moving, thought-provoking, and occasionally cliched. In many ways it is vintage Coelho, a look into the inner nature of existence that comes off as good food for the soul.
on April 29, 2013
With our human society loosing our values day by day, this book is a Must read for every human being.
Paulo Coelho presents us with simple wisdom. Yet, as there is the presence of paradox in life itself, even in simplicity, therein lies intricate details and workings.

~ Carla Golian (author of "Dreams of Love")
on May 10, 2013
This book is not a book to be read. It is to be reflected upon, absorbed and digested as food for the soul.
I find myself reading the same chapter more than once, speaking of it and recommending it to my family and friends.
How wonderful if Manuscript Found in Accra were required reading in school, especially to a class of maturing teen-agers, in the hope that it would influence their future actions.