Map and Territory (Rationality: From AI to Zombies) Paperback – December 13, 2018
Enhance your purchase
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
- Publisher : Machine Intelligence Research Institute (December 13, 2018)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 231 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1939311233
- ISBN-13 : 978-1939311238
- Item Weight : 13.4 ounces
- Dimensions : 6 x 0.53 x 9 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #143,515 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
You can tell they put a lot of love into this physical copy. Not only is it aesthetic, they went through and painstakingly added citations (from actual studies!) into the text. This resolves one of the biggest criticisms, and I look forward to delving deeper into those.
My top takeaways are:
(1) I’m a tangled mess of unconscious cognitive bias and just knowing about my brain’s failure modes alone isn’t always enough to counteract them. While the art of Rationality can be counter-intuitive, you can improve with practice.
(2) One should not strive for “skepticism”. For any piece of evidence there is a precise amount of belief that you should to draw from it and it is a flaw to be either more certain or more skeptical than that.
(3) Bayes’ Theorem shows how to think about the relationship between evidence and belief (if that sounds scary, don’t worry this isn’t a math textbook). Just knowing that an equation exists will help you determine which factors are important to consider and why.
While you can find the collection of essays that compromise the book freely available online under the name “ReadTheSequences”, there’s something really satisfying about the physical book. For starters, it’s beautiful. I was worried initially about the quality given the under $10 price, but rest assured; this not an eBook that someone just printed out. The text looks really good! Effort was clearly put into the design and typesetting.
By Irakli on January 5, 2021