Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 214 reviews
on April 17, 2017
The information provided in this book is interesting, but it's ruined by Ken Jennings constantly trying to make terrible puns throughout the book. I found myself sighing or rolling my eyes more often than I should have for a book like this
on August 21, 2017
Great Book. Easy read and enjoyable.
on July 5, 2015
Interesting subject matter, but could have used some heavy editing. It was a bit rambly and self-indulgent, with frequent anecdotes about the author instead of the subject matter at hand. However, there's pleny of map info to satisfy map heads.
on December 6, 2012
Like me, the author was a map nut in childhood. But the book was disappointing. Instead of concentrating on maps and geography, it wanders far afield into things like geocaching (learned far more than I really wanted to know about it), geography bees, and other peripherals. One point of praise: he puts his footnotes at the bottoms of the pages, where they belong, rather than resorting to endnotes.
on November 7, 2014
I was really excited to find a book specifically written for weirdos like me who "read" maps and atlases like a book, love to navigate, and have a strange fascination with globes. Sadly though I couldn't make it past a few chapters of this book. Frankly, Ken Jennings, although a wiz at knowing every obscure worldly fact, is not a writer. The worst part is the hokey jokes inserted as a lame attempt to make this a lighthearted and fun read. The topics seem directionless and mostly sensational than insightful. I'm really disappointed I couldn't enjoy this read more. Maybe I'll skip ahead a few chapters and see if it can still maintain my attention. If so, I'll come back and update this review.

Also, the paperback cover design has a hole in the shape of a cutout head, which makes it really uncomfortable to hold because it's right in the center where your fingers grip. Sounds silly but I actually think this matters a lot since you're going to be holding this book for hours.
on April 10, 2014
Bought this for my Kindle, and that was a mistake, I think. It would probably work better as a genuine book. I will think more carefully next time about a book about maps.
on April 30, 2012
I loved this book. I'm a geography geek, maphead, and all around pop culture nerd. If you like references to the 80's show Airwolf, The Mountain Goats, Magnetic Fields, this is the one for you.
on June 5, 2016
Never imagined a book about maps could be so fascinating. A very good and educational read.
VINE VOICEon February 17, 2013
I've so often viewed maps as purely utilitarian; they help me understand where I am and help me get to where I'm going.

This book opened my eyes and gave me quite a few chuckles in the process. Ken's writing style is spirited, warm, and occasionally cheesy and pun-filled, and I found that this made the book a delightful read overall.

Some sections/topics seemed a bit overdone (such as the spots about geocaching and geocachers), but overall, I had a blast reading the book and learned quite a bit about what Geography really means, the astounding subjectivity of mapping, and much more.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone who has poured over an atlas, who uses online maps or marvels at Google Earth... pretty much, yes, everyone :).
on April 29, 2013
A very interesting series of essays about people who were and are interested in maps in all their manifestations. Five stars if you, too, are a map geek.