Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 9, 2015
I purchased this book from Amazon sight unseen in order to teach myself maple sugaring (when I lived in Connecticut). In the end I felt this book did not help me much with that, I relied on another book called BACKYARD SUGARIN.

I do love this book because it has gorgeous photos of maple sugaring from present and the past. The book has a sentimental and nostalgic tone to the writing.

Eagleson, a Canadian, explains that her parents moved when she was ten and her family then began maple sugaring. She has romantic memories. At the time the book was published she had her own trees but they were still a year too young to begin tapping. her experience growing up with annual maple sugaring gave the book a nostalgic happy feeling to the book.

I have one season of maple sugaring under my belt and feel this will not help you enough. This book provides warm and fuzzy writing, antique photos. It focuses on Canadian maple sugaring with a short nod to Vermont. It ignores all other New England states. It contains historical information about Canadian maple sugaring and Native people's method and tells of 17th century European settler's techniques.

There are 8 recipes for cooking with it. If you want more recipes I recommend the book MAPLE SYRUP COOKBOOK by Haedrich which has over 100 recipes.

There is a discussion of modern tapping processes with pressure systems and the use of plastic tubing. Canada's rules for organic maple sugaring are explained.

This is not a practical how-to book it is pretty, educational, and nostalgic. I rate it 5 stars = I Love It, with the mandatory use of the two other books I mentioned for a more thorough how-to DIY backyard sugaring and more recipes with maple syrup.
on March 2, 2013
I found this book to be very interesting and it has good information. I was looking into producing some maple syrup myself but I think this is more than I bargained for at this time. Maybe in the future after I retire.
on September 2, 2010
This was a gift to my sister that has sugar maples on her property. In one season, she yields enough syrup for 5 years from one tree alone so she really needs recipes to use it for her family.

She likes the book and talked about the part that is not just recipes (history, techniques, etc.).
on February 16, 2011
While this book has some very nice photos and a great history of maple syrup and the legends behind it, as far as a comprehensive complete resource on how to make it, it is not. This is a great coffee table book for someone who is into maple syrup not for someone who is learning to make it.
on January 25, 2016
It was a gift for a beginner 'sugarer'.
on April 11, 2013
this book includes many historic facts and stories about maple syrup. My favorite part of the book is the native American stories about discovering maple syrup.
on April 18, 2011
This is a very nice coffe table book. It is fine for someone who wants to play with maple syrup. I was discouraged because Iam going to run a large opperation.
on September 18, 2014
Good product
on June 6, 2012
Not what I expected at all.Although very pretty pictures it was a dud. I didn't want to know about the differences in the trees or how to perform the tapping of the trees etc. I wanted recipes. This book should not be included with cookbooks.