Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

• Maps
  • Customer Reviews

Maps
Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 16, 2014
There are currently two negative reviews about this book, which after receiving it, I would like to comment on. Both individuals were upset a country they love was left out. Ireland and Israel aren't in this book, but neither are Norway, Portugal, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, Turkey and several other European countries, along with every central American country, all nations in the Caribbean, the Philippines, South and North Korea, Indonesia, most of Africa and many others I'm not going to list. Indeed, there are only 52 maps in this book, which was never billed as a COMPLETE atlas. Instead, it's a gorgeous introduction for children (and adults) to pique enough interest to inspire them to learn more about the world. It's funny to me that the absence of both Ireland and Israel were highlighted in the reviews, since both countries have an entire book devoted to them by Sasek. To me, Maps is a great addition to learn more about culture and geography in conjunction with Sasek's amazing This is...series. Furthermore, Israel's capitol in Maps is listed as Jerusalem, which not even the Obama administration recognizes, so I'm still confused as to why one of the reviewers is so angry. Finally, Maps is printed in Poland! I'm getting very tired of Chinese made books, so this means a great deal to me.
77 comments| 298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 16, 2017
I had bought it's Korean version first and then bought again the English version as I want to know the names in English as well.
BUT I there is no Korea in English vesion.. (sigh)
I still love this book though. :)
review image
on October 30, 2013
I purchased this book for my 10-year-old daughter for her upcoming birthday. She loves geography and I was searching for a detailed book of various maps with descriptions of the many countries, culture, foods, drinks, etc. This book does not disappoint. I can't wait for my daughter to see it!
This is a fun book to thumb through.
It does not feature all countries. But, I love the detail of the illustrations and the many random tidbits of each country. Definitely worth the buy!
on December 10, 2016
Would give 6 stars for the artwork if I could. Beautiful atlas, and truly appealing for any age. An amazing resource for my young son. I believe this book will get lots of use over the coming years. The pictures have a vintage, aged look that only adds to the book's magic. Delivered promptly and in perfect condition.

Customers should be aware that this is NOT a comprehensive atlas. There will certainly be many important places, people, cultural references, and ideas omitted from this collection of maps. It cannot stand in isolation as an educational resource. However, as a children's introduction to maps, geography and culture, it's an inspired piece.
on January 10, 2018
I loved the illustrations, and the way information is given to young readers. But I was truly disappointed when I realized that the emphasis was European countries. South America was very neglected, there’s no Costa Rica, nor Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina or the eclectic islands of the Caribbean, I feel the same happens to Asia, specially the Middle East, and Africa. I feel a lot of great cultures, nature, arquitecture and fauna was left out.
on February 23, 2017
I got this for my daughter when she was 7. She never really looked at it that much .. however.. she's now about to turn 9 and loves it. She even brought it to school for show and tell. Very interesting book with gorgeous illustrations and fun facts about the countries of the world.
on August 5, 2017
I bought this as a replacement for one lost in a bathroom flood ( for which I had paid $35!) My grands were so thrilled - and they have a very extensive home library. This is just one of the loveliest and most interesting books, there really is NO age limit for its enjoyment.
on August 27, 2014
i think i've bought six of these books, five as gifts: this is a beautifully designed, wonderfully executed atlas which is perfect for a bright and motivated child but perfect for not-so-bright or motivated adults who just love maps and atlases. not all countries are represented, unfortunately (much of Africa is missing) but definitely worthy of ordering for yourself or your favorite small person.
on April 11, 2017
I bought this for myself, as an adult. Love the illustrations. Such a beautiful book.
on January 22, 2018
Beautiful book. Purchased for the younger ones, and the teens couldn't put it down. Actually, adults can't put it down either.