Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 28, 2017
A very interesting tale, but it has colored my view of Mr. March considerably from when I was a teen reading and re-reading Little Women.
on November 21, 2017
Geraldine Brooks is a favorite author. She does a fine job of building the character of Little Women's father, Mr. March, taking us back into Civil War years.. My book club all agreed it was a good read.
on October 12, 2017
It was alright, but I was expecting better after her wonderful write "The People of the Book", which is a wonderful story, very engaging and interesting, which I fully recommend.
on March 4, 2014
Writing a story that builds on a classic such as "Little Women" is so difficult to pull off, and Geraldine Brooks does it while also make this story her own. While "Little Women" tells of the coming of ages of four young girls during the civil war, "March" takes their father through deeper and darker transitions as he comes face to face with war and has to make haunting decisions. My favorites part of the book is when she takes March down into the deep South to a plantation that has been taken over by the Union army. It's a historical point of view I hadn't seen explored before and she paints a fascinating picture of Union soldiers and remaining slaves trying to survive in a remote area under tenuous Union control and surrounded by hostile rebels.
on July 21, 2017
Loved this. Such fun to have a spin off and "learn" about the March family.
on August 31, 2017
It was a good historical representation of one mans experience fighting for his moral beliefs. There was little to bring this book together with Little Women except to refer to short letters written back and forth during his years away.
on March 12, 2013
Our book club has it for this month. Since it takes a character, the father, from Little Women and builds a story that grows around that book I felt I needed to read LW first, which I did, free on my Kindle. I was very surprised to find that LW was quite engaging albeit a bit preachy (for the girls of the 1860's) and moralizing. Knowing what happens in LW really helps to understand March, although March is a far deeper book, and gets you thinking about family, loyalties, right and wrong, and what happens when people are in extremis, and in the horrors of war and plantation life. I loved Year of Wonders as well, another impeccably researched historical novel. Brooks is one of the rare authors whose every word is worth reading. In short, wonderful book I am sure I will reread. Like Cold Mountain, March takes you back to the days of the Civil War and makes you feel as if you were there.
on September 13, 2017
Fascinating story of the father of Louisa Alcott' s Little Women kept me interested the entire time.
on August 30, 2017
Very well researched. Fascinating characters.
on July 15, 2017
Brooks has brilliantly imagined the life of Mr March who was mostly absent from Alcott's novel. This is also a compelling history of the miseries of the Civil War. Highly recommend.