Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 22, 2016
I am not a fan of "performance art" and have never attended a presentation of any sort. But I read a profile piece in "The New Yorker" about Marina and her New York museum show and was interested to know more about her.
This documentary is quite compelling with Marina discussing her background and art. There are interesting conversations with collaborative artists and curators and critics about her ouvre.
There are early pieces of hers feraturing self-mutilation that are not appealing. But the viewer comes away with a respect for the "art warrior" and provocateur.
I must confess that there were moments featuring the New York show encounters that brought tears to my eyes.
on November 6, 2012
Fascinating, unexpectedly deeply moving portrait of Marina Abromovic, who is sometimes called 'the grandmother of
performance art" and her hugely successful retrospective at New York's Museum of Modern Art'.

While her past history is never less then tremendously engrossing, the most powerful moments of the film are those
showing her new work, unveiled for the retrospective called 'The Artist is Present'. For 3 months, Ms. Abromovic simply
sat in a chair all day, taking no breaks, looking into the eyes of any museum guest who sat down opposite her. No
talk, and very little movement.

Yet these encounters are tremendously powerful, often moving both participants to tears (and some of us watching the film
as well). This is 'art' taken to it's most simple, naked level. Connection between two strangers, each coming away different
for the encounter.

While all this may sound dry and theoretic, the pure honest emotion and presence the 63 year old artist brings to her Herculean task make
watching the film anything but.

Meanwhile, the extras on the film allow you to learn a little more about the artist and her working methods.

Very much worth seeing.
on December 28, 2014
This was very interesting. It balances out contemporary aspects of her preparation for her MOMA show with information from her past. The performance art pieces seem to focus mostly on relationships and with some gender explorations. The passage of time and moments with past artists and lovers give the documentary some refreshing poignant moments admist the more controlling aspects of some of her art pieces.Explorations of the viewer and voyeur of art and what they project or need from the perverbial "blank canvas" were of special interest. Overall, a great documentary. I wouldn't mind seeing another documentary piece where I could see more of her private life....Marina appeared guarded and in great control in this one... I did not agree with some who stated that she was so vulnerable...the people that were most vulnerable were her audience, I think Marina was very much in control.
on January 31, 2014
A must-see for anyone interested in the arts. The film beautifully portrays the artist's unflinching conviction to her work.

I'd heard of Abramovic's show in New York on NPR, and was mystified at how such a simple act could bring participants to tears. Watching the film gave me a chance to experience the performance, and even second-hand it was moving to see how people reacted and fascinating to know the backstory of the piece, the artist, and those around her.

I'm a huge cynic when it comes to performance art, mostly because of the tendency to shock audiences more than challenge them, but the stillness and craft of this piece made me completely rethink these notions.
on December 23, 2016
The film does a good job of discussing performance art and its significance. I thought the film was a bit light in showing us what really Marina's psychology is about. It does discuss her childhood a bit, but at the end of the film, I didn't really feel like I knew Marina.
on July 1, 2017
Beautifully done documentary. Anyone interested in the arts, pshycology and the power of the mind will love this.
on August 22, 2013
I just finished watching, "The Artist is Present". I am almost without words for how moving this portrait of Marina Abramovic is. I have always been intrigued by her work, but the power in seeing her perform, to get a glimpse of her fearlessness and honesty,...I had tears during portions of this. I wish I was able to see her exhibition when it was at MOMA. I can only imagine the magnitude of depth and emotion in watching her live. Powerful!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2013
I use this to teach a lesson to my art appreciation class to show the power of experiencing artwork. Every year, students say this film changed their idea and appreciation about art. I also have students then go home and recreate The Artist is Present with a friend or family member for five minutes and then write a paper about it. Year after year, students have transformative experiences doing this, even going so far as to begin to repair troubled relationships with parents, significant others, etc. A beautiful, wonderful, and poignant film and artwork.
on February 25, 2018
Interesting documentary
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2013
OK, so this is not a documentary for everyone and yet maybe if you watch it in full it might be. Open your heart.

I first saw it on cable and in the beginning I thought, "Oh gads what it this? This is weird. How can they call this art?"

I continued to watch it though and by the end tears flowed down my face as I understood.

I understood and accepted the women, the artist, and what she was trying to say. I also understood my own motivations in doing my own art. Marina Abramovic's dedication to what she was called to do, her art, her purpose, her work, are unmatched. She is transparent and yet elusive. What I mean by that is that she is not afraid to be seen, to be unopened and share pieces of her soul. And yet, who can ever truly understand another?

I watched the documentary on cable two more times, until it was no longer running and then knew I had to see it again, so I bought it. I watch and listen to it; feel it's presence; feel the her commitment and love for being an artist; as I do my own art. It is a companion to doing art in a way. I treasure this woman and all she has sacrificed in order to show me pieces of myself that I did not see before. Thank you Marina Abramovic.