Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,140 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,376 reviews
on October 12, 2016
Great new features! Awesome Racer. Key features include:
Players can compete in local wireless matches or online over a broadband Internet connection.
• The game supports both SpotPass and StreetPass features.
• Players can show their own style by customizing their vehicles with accessories that give them a competitive advantage. For instance, giant tires help a kart drive off-road, while smaller tires work best on city courses.
• People can choose to race as one of their favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters or even as their Mii character.
• The Mario Kart franchise continues to evolve. New kart abilities add to the wild fun that the games are known for. On big jumps, a kart deploys a wing to let it glide over a track shortcut. When under water, a propeller pops out to help the kart cruise across the sea floor.
My 9 year old LOVES racing games like Mario Kart and Sonic All Stars. The other day we were at a brick and mortar and he was playing the 3DS there with Mario Kart 7 in it, and that was my first time really looking at the 3DS. I was quite impressed with what they were doing with such a small screen, and no glasses needed.

We have an old DS, so I bought this for him behind his back. When it arrived and i "surprised" him with it, he was psyched. Then he was sad when it wouldn't fit in his old DS. I said, "Oh, it won't work in the DS? Only in the 3DS?" He sadly nodded at me, so I pulled out the new red 3DS from behind my back to give to him, telling him we were lucky I got one of those as well.

Made his weekend.

He can't get enough of this, and I got pretty hooked too. The controls are SO much better with the 3DS games, so the stick on the left makes driving a lot easier.

Changing from one to another vehicle type is something we really enjoyed with the Sonic transformed on the Wii U, so I was glad to see that "updated" type of game play here. We really want Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U but we'll stick with this for the time being, it's a great way to pass the time till the next version comes out for the full sized consoles.

There's familiar tracks here, as well as new ones, and the 3D effect makes it VERY enjoyable. Some different power ups and different car customizations give it a different feel as well.

If you've enjoyed the Mario Kart franchise, but haven't seen it on the 3DS yet, get to a store and check it out. It's a whole new game...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2011
First off - I have been a kart fan since the SNES version many years back . . . with my most recent versions being Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii. This version brought to the 3DS far exceeded my expectations.

This was my first attempt with a new handheld nintendo since the days of the GBA first came out. I was pleasently suprised by the fluid nature and natural controls the system and games offered. Mario Kart 7 was one of the first games I picked up with the new system (the new mario and zelda OoT being the others. The tradition has stayed true for the most part of the game, but brought back some old flare and new flare.

You now get speed boost from coins, and loose coins as you get "hit" by other players power ups. They stack to a certain point, but then you don't receive anymore added benefit from them. They added in some new attacks which was nice, 7 is a fun one where you get 7 items to use, the spit fire works great as well for taking down multiple racers. The other new feature was the parachute. You have some control of them in the air and can get a series edge over the competition if you use them properly. So practice practice practice.

Graphics: The graphics are amazing! If you blew them up on a larger screen they wouldnt be the most advanced, but on such a small platform screen with a 3D interface, it honestly looks better than my wii with HD hookups (480p ...) on a 32" LED tv.

Sound: Excellent. Traditional voices, music, and sfx brings this game to life and keeps giving it an edge.

Gameplay: Same as before in terms of control, the added benefit of a parachute makes it interesting and can give more players a leading edge who are new to the genre. It's fast, fluid, and the UI is friendly on and off racing.

Replay Value: With ample tracks, cups, and game play options. Players old and new will continue to find a way to revisit this game. Time trials keep your competition driven. Online multiplayer keeps you in the loop with your friends. The replay value will always be there. For a quick 3 minute race to beat a time. Or a 15 minute circuit.

Over all, I give this game 9 out of 10. There are some hicups - slow online connections, frequently lost games when users loose signals, hard to remember "Friend numbers" (Come on Nintendo, User names!)and still having moments where you want to throw the game because of the infinite numbers of blue shells that go into play ONLY when you're in first place causing you the match. If you're on the edge on buying this game, and you have a 3DS it's a no brainer. This should be on the top of your list. Whether you've played it on the original SNES, or just started with the Wii, you'll enjoy the competitions, fluid graphics, fantastic mario sounds, and immersive game play that is Mario Kart 7.
This review is with the help of my 12 year old son - a huge Mario fan for many years. He has played (for many hours) Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Double Dash (GameCube), Mario Kart for DS, and Mario Kart for Wii.

So in his words...

"I really like the feel of Mario Kart 7. It combined DS and Wii games and took out the inconveniences of both. While loving both of the other games, I couldn't get the hang of tilting the Wii remote to steer, or trying to get past anyone on 150cc DS. Luckily, MK 7 plays like a slightly easier DS with the design of a better-controlled Wii. There are 16 new courses, 2 of which take place on Wuhu Island, from Mii games. Some of these races are divided into sections instead of laps, which I found to be very interesting. The hang glider and underwater sections are actually more plentiful than I expected, varying from a little hang glider ramp to laps that are halfway underwater. It also has 16 Retro Courses, from all past games. Unlike other installments, they added more shortcuts and took advantage of water hazards, an example being the pool from Gamecube's Daisy Cruiser.

There are many coins scattered over the courses to collect, which you use to unlock new cart customizations. I haven't tried out the best combinations, but racing with the standard cart is great, too. The battles add three new courses and bring back three old ones. While some of the better arenas were overlooked, like Pipe Plaza or Block Fort, I'm happy with the new ones.

Overall, this is my second favorite Mario Kart game coming up behind Double Dash and a great addition to the 3DS lineup."

As an adult playing it, it is fun but my finger gets tired holding down the button for gas and I get a little motion sickness playing it after awhile. A side affect of getting old(er).
on March 29, 2014
After Ocarina of Time 3D, of course.
This game is great.

Gameplay-5/5--The computer player are almost as smart as humans, they steal item boxes and Coins that are in front of you, so you can't collect them, they are dead-on precise with items such as Green Shells, the all-new Fire Flower, Bob-ombs, and those Bananas. The Circle Pad is great for the game, and the regular +Control Pad cannot be used. There's an all-new 1st-person mode, where you can tilt your 3DS family console to steer your racer. If you just want to use traditional controls in 1st-person, just use the Circle Pad and don't move the system, or turn the gyro-sensor off in the Mario Kart Channel. The Mario Kart Channel is not like the Wii Version, but an in-game "status and StreetPass" record. You can adjust StreetPass settings, and race time-trial ghosts and in the Grand Prix with Miis that you've met via StreetPass. If you win, you get a new kart-personalization from the Mii if you didn't have it before. Coins make a return, they're used to increase your top speed and unlock kart customizations. Kart customs are new, you can select your Kart body, wheels, and glider. Some Kart bodies return from previous MK games, like the B-Dasher from MKDS. Gliding is new, you go throught air as well as water. The customs each have their own stats.
Music-4/5--This game references older Mario Kart Games, especially Mario Kart 64. The one thing I hate- when you're in first place in a race, there's an added beat to the background music. It's good for the Nitro Cups, but for Retro, it's awful. Some retro cups and battle courses have 100% remade music, and it's good for the GP, but for the Battle Courses, ESPECIALLY N64 Big Donut, and DS...(can't remember the name) are worse and is just bad. Most of the music is epic, that's all I can say.
Graphics-4.5/5--I love them, they're bright and vibrant. Not much else.
Online-3/5--I don't use it much. The loading is long and I have more fun with computers.
Just buy it.
on May 11, 2013
We got this game despite the fact that we have the Mario Kart for DS, and after HOURS of kids pleading, whining, cajoling, watching footage on Youtube, etc.

Yes, the music is completely haunting. That is, since we got this game three days ago, the kids have been continuously playing it and the music haunts us in our sleep, in our pajamas, just outside the bathroom, on the staircase, on the treadmill, at the dinner table, upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, in the car, getting out of the car, wherever there's enough space for a child holding a 3DS XL. And when there's no space, they just squeeze in anyway.

That said, it is a beautiful experience for the children to pretend to be Mario world creatures, flying through the air, diving under the ocean, on their crazy inane vehicles, careening around in fantastic scenery. It's not violent and it's not a first person shooter game. It's funny and fast. There are no scary monsters, scenarios, or scenery. And friends who have DS's love playing them together. I can think of worse ways to spend a rainy day.
on May 13, 2014
I remember when the first Mario Kart was introduced on the Super Nintendo. I thought it was a fun game... I never thought it would garner the attention that it did.

Six iterations later, and we have Mario Kart.... 7. Let's see, Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, Nintendo DS Mario Kart, Wii Mario Kart... and yeap, I think that's all of them.

7 brings some fresh new ways of getting around the tracks... mostly through the air and underwater... All in all, it's the same game we all know and love, race, get items, get hit mercilessly by the blue flying shell of death whenever you're in first, and drift.

There's nothing really different from the Wii version aside from the two new modes of transportation mentioned earlier.

I have yet to play it online, so I do not have anything to write about that feature (but I probably will add it on... eventually...)

All in all, a great Mario franchise title... I cannot wait to play 8 when it comes out later this month...
on February 22, 2014
I purchased Mario Kart 7 just a few weeks after bying Nintendo 3DS XL and Mario Kart DS. This gave me the opportunity to directly compare both racing games as a newcomer who had never owned a Nintendo DS. (However, I had played all other Mario Kart games except Nintendo Wii).

What stands out immediately in the transition from the DS version to Mario Kart 7 is the 3-D effect coupled with magnificent graphics. The three-dimensional image generates a WOW-effect and allows the racer to estimate distances better. However, even with 3D disabled, the graphics are crisp, colorful and bright. Mario Kart DS' image looks more pixelated and simple in comparison.

As for the gameplay, I have to conclude that while Mario Kart 7 celebrates a visual firework, it falls a little short of the variety and creativity of the course tracks from Mario Kart DS. It seems to me that some of the Mario Kart 7 own tracks are kind of similar (for example, Daisy Hills and Rock Rock mountain, or Maka Wuhu and Wuhu Loop) and uninspiring. The new gliding ability of karts and the propeller that comes out of the back while underwater help only little to alleviate that deficiency. Some of the 16 new tracks are indeed unique, but overall I have more fun racing on the retro tracks that incorporate a mix of some popular sceneries from SNES, N64, GC, Wii and DS. I would even say that if Nintendo extended that retro mix to all 32 tracks by including the best of the best, it would make for a more fun racing experience.

On a positive note, Mario Kart 7 has more kart customization options. While MKDS does offer different kart types, MK7 allows for a better fine tuning by enabling the racer to select separate tyre sets and gliders in addition to a larger variety of karts. By collecting coins (yay, they are back from the old SNES-days), the user can progressively unlock new karts/tyres/gliders. MK7 also features more characters that can be unlocked by winning the gold trophy from each cup. Some of these characters are charming and can make you laugh with their sounds, a few are outright pointless and misplaced. (I don't want to spoil anyone by naming them, but to the experienced players of you, I am talking about characters #14 and #15.) I wish these were replaced by more popular figures from the Nintendo franchise.

If you have won all gold cups and you are tired of racing against stupid CPU opponents over and over, it's time to go online and race against real players from all over the world. Just don't be upset when you can no longer finish first each time (as you got used to when you played against the CPU) - there is almost always someone better than you joining the race! This is the challenge that makes you want keep playing again and again until you can beat the cr*p out of a more experienced racer. The item mechanism in MK7 is actually very socialized and supports slow racers with good items and good racers with only mediocre objects (mostly green shells and bananas). So even if you don't have dozens of hours of karting experience on your resume, you still have a chance of fluking to the top. Overall, the online mode can be quite addictive.

When I played MKDS, I felt that the missions were a very welcoming addition to the Mario Kart series, because they added a great value to the single player mode. For your information: In the missions mode, you need to accomplish certain tasks within a time limit, such as collecting a certain amount of coins, performing power slides or busting enemies with shells. There are lots of missions in MKDS and I have always enjoyed their challenge. However, I was quite disappointed when I figured that there were no missions at all in Mario Kart 7. As much as its online mode can be addictive, the omission of the missions makes the glass of MK7 only half-full.

Overall, I would say that Mario Kart 7 is a fun game that can give you encouraging moments of excitement and relief from close victories. With or without 3D, the graphics are the best that a portable Mario Kart version has ever seen. Yet when it comes to rating this game, it falls short of five stars due to the presence of uninspiring new courses, and in particular to the painful lack of missions. With that, I give it four stars, even if it's actually in the neighborhood of 4.3. However, if Nintendo offered missions in form of DLC, I might add the missing star in the future.
on March 25, 2017
Mario Kart 7 is a good example of what makes Nintendo so successful...innovation. It introduces a fun little glide gimmick, has a good variety of levels, just like Mario Kart Wii before it, and an decent variety of characters, but a number of them have to be unlocked by completing certain cups on the highest difficulty (which is no easy feat unless you are really good at racing games). The one major problem I have with this game is the spiny shell, which I think overstayed its welcome after the last game. The male Mii character voice they chose is also really annoying, it literally sounds like baby noises.
on December 30, 2011
This game is very fun just like mario kart ds was. It has the great graphics of mario kart wii with the fun you can expect from mario kart ds.

The major problem with mario kart wii was that it was very luck based because of its imbalance of items and lack of any real strategy to recover from getting hit with 5 blue shells every race. I also like how there are 8 players instead of 12. The new items like the fire flower and tanooki leaf make the game even more interesting. As tradition, mario kart has 16 new stages and 16 old stages. I am pleased with the selection of the retro courses and how new features such as paragliding are in the old stages.

Online play is really fun and improved over the previous games. You can play battles online and are not forced to play in teams. But as great as the online is, it does have issues. Sometimes when there is a communication error, you will get this ''please wait'' message for 3-5 minutes. You may be able to speed up the process by turning off the wireless switch, but for the most part it is a 5 minute wait. So despite the occasional hangups this game has online, it is still worth it for the mario kart fans.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.