Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 20, 2016
This game is fun and challenging. My son is a HUGE Mario Kart fan, and just received a 2ds for his birthday. So this game seemed like the perfect gift for him. We already have Mario Kart 8 at home, and I was worried that this was going to be too similar to that and not provide enough fun for my son. Boy, was I wrong. There are a few different levels, different karts, and different challenges to overcome in this game. If you are a Mario Kart fan and own a 2ds or a 3ds, I would highly recommend this game.
5 people found this helpful
on May 11, 2018
Wonderful installment of Mario Kart.
This game has come a long was since SNES days.

Plenty of new and old tracks (revamped).
All the same lovable characters.

New kart customization, new game modes, etc.

The great part of this game is that it utilizes "Download & Play" feature that not many others out there do.
Essentially, this means you can buy one copy and have 2 people (on separate 3DS/2DSXL) play it off the one cart.
The one that has it loaded opens apps, selects "Download & Play" and the other opens that app and enters that lobby to download the game and join the host (local network play only).
The guest can only be Shyguy and use the generic kart, but you can play all modes together.

Recommend to anyone who likes Mario Kart series and maybe wants to play with their kids/friends, but don't really care what char/kart they choose.
|0Comment|Report abuse
My 9 year old LOVES racing games like Mario Kart and Sonic All Stars. The other day we were at a brick and mortar and he was playing the 3DS there with Mario Kart 7 in it, and that was my first time really looking at the 3DS. I was quite impressed with what they were doing with such a small screen, and no glasses needed.

We have an old DS, so I bought this for him behind his back. When it arrived and i "surprised" him with it, he was psyched. Then he was sad when it wouldn't fit in his old DS. I said, "Oh, it won't work in the DS? Only in the 3DS?" He sadly nodded at me, so I pulled out the new red 3DS from behind my back to give to him, telling him we were lucky I got one of those as well.

Made his weekend.

He can't get enough of this, and I got pretty hooked too. The controls are SO much better with the 3DS games, so the stick on the left makes driving a lot easier.

Changing from one to another vehicle type is something we really enjoyed with the Sonic transformed on the Wii U, so I was glad to see that "updated" type of game play here. We really want Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U but we'll stick with this for the time being, it's a great way to pass the time till the next version comes out for the full sized consoles.

There's familiar tracks here, as well as new ones, and the 3D effect makes it VERY enjoyable. Some different power ups and different car customizations give it a different feel as well.

If you've enjoyed the Mario Kart franchise, but haven't seen it on the 3DS yet, get to a store and check it out. It's a whole new game...
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 26, 2018
As a lifelong Nintendo player, this game went where Mario Kart 8 failed for competitive games. It struck a great balance between casual players and hardcore players, and I love this title for it. Mario Kart 8 went overboard with the casual experience, alienating a lot of competitive players with its worsened drifting mechanics. Nintendo representatives, if you're reading this, I implore you to bring the next Mario Kart closer to this. Casual AND hardcore gamers can both enjoy a balanced engine like this.
One person found this helpful
on May 11, 2013
We got this game despite the fact that we have the Mario Kart for DS, and after HOURS of kids pleading, whining, cajoling, watching footage on Youtube, etc.

Yes, the music is completely haunting. That is, since we got this game three days ago, the kids have been continuously playing it and the music haunts us in our sleep, in our pajamas, just outside the bathroom, on the staircase, on the treadmill, at the dinner table, upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, in the car, getting out of the car, wherever there's enough space for a child holding a 3DS XL. And when there's no space, they just squeeze in anyway.

That said, it is a beautiful experience for the children to pretend to be Mario world creatures, flying through the air, diving under the ocean, on their crazy inane vehicles, careening around in fantastic scenery. It's not violent and it's not a first person shooter game. It's funny and fast. There are no scary monsters, scenarios, or scenery. And friends who have DS's love playing them together. I can think of worse ways to spend a rainy day.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This review is with the help of my 12 year old son - a huge Mario fan for many years. He has played (for many hours) Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Double Dash (GameCube), Mario Kart for DS, and Mario Kart for Wii.

So in his words...

"I really like the feel of Mario Kart 7. It combined DS and Wii games and took out the inconveniences of both. While loving both of the other games, I couldn't get the hang of tilting the Wii remote to steer, or trying to get past anyone on 150cc DS. Luckily, MK 7 plays like a slightly easier DS with the design of a better-controlled Wii. There are 16 new courses, 2 of which take place on Wuhu Island, from Mii games. Some of these races are divided into sections instead of laps, which I found to be very interesting. The hang glider and underwater sections are actually more plentiful than I expected, varying from a little hang glider ramp to laps that are halfway underwater. It also has 16 Retro Courses, from all past games. Unlike other installments, they added more shortcuts and took advantage of water hazards, an example being the pool from Gamecube's Daisy Cruiser.

There are many coins scattered over the courses to collect, which you use to unlock new cart customizations. I haven't tried out the best combinations, but racing with the standard cart is great, too. The battles add three new courses and bring back three old ones. While some of the better arenas were overlooked, like Pipe Plaza or Block Fort, I'm happy with the new ones.

Overall, this is my second favorite Mario Kart game coming up behind Double Dash and a great addition to the 3DS lineup."

As an adult playing it, it is fun but my finger gets tired holding down the button for gas and I get a little motion sickness playing it after awhile. A side affect of getting old(er).
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon July 24, 2013
Any fan of the MK series will know what to expect. This game is so wide reaching that three generations could play this side-by-side and all have a great time of it. That being said, it does make a great gift for anyone who owns a 3DS, no matter the age.
There are things to unlock, just as in the classic MK series, and there are several special updates that are just for this edition.
One of my favorite features are the new maps. Each 'classic', or race bracket, is broken down into maps that have appeared in previous editions and new maps that are exclusive to the 3DS.
The 3D addition to the game just brings things to a whole new level and adds a new perspective to the awesome game play.
Would recommend to any age for any reason. Great classic game to have for those times when you want to play something not too serious, but still have some competitive fun.
2 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2014
This game was purchased for my son about two months ago and he loves it. I even have to admit that I get sucked in playing it from time to time. It plays just like the version on the Wii. The game even has a mode where you can steer the karts by using the tilt/yaw function on the 3DS. All the classic Mario characters are there and have a few new ones added in as you climb the ranks and unlock them. One thing I really like about it that it allows you to race as your own Mii character. It has all kinds of customization options for your karts to make them faster, handle better, etc. Thanks to the multi-play feature on the 3DS systems, up to four friends can play at once against each other. Nintendo doesn't dissapoint with this one. I would highly recommend this game for anyone!
One person found this helpful
on March 3, 2016
This game is still as good as the franchise has ever been. It has better than ever graphics, the game play is fast-paced, involved, and as crazy as it has ever been. I really like how this game features a variety of both new tracks to race on and several tracks featured both in the Wii version and SNES versions of Mario Kart. The game features numerous kart and character unlockables which are earned through the course of the game. The game is very friendly to novices of the game, as the game still features three different modes of competition, 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc which allow for differing levels of competition. This game is very clean and child-friendly. I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys Mario Kart or any parent looking for a clean game for a great Christmas or birthday present.
on November 28, 2014
Gameplay is a good balance between action and speed, with cup runs taking about 10 to 15 minutes. Customization is fantastic and the new maps are awesome. Half the cups are classic maps form all over the franchise, including the original Rainbow Road (That's right, The Nemesis is back!). Best part was unlocking Mirror Mode, where the maps are reversed adding a nice challenge to the maps you already raced to death.

Online play is solid and allows for local multiplayer using only one copy of the game.

As God Intended.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.