Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Mario Kart DS” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 50% off the $39.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
$ 90 $39.99 Save $15.09 (38%)
FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
& FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
About the Product
- Two modes to choose from: "Balloon Battle" and "Shine Runners." Balloon
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Place first in Grand Prix circuits or clear skill-based missions to open up increasingly difficult and thrilling circuits. Of course, players can have multiplayer races on any open courses or battle in arenas. Game Modes: At Least Five Ways to Play
Whether you prefer to race by yourself or to mix it up with friends, Mario Kart DS is a game with something for everyone. Features five different game modes, these include a 'VS' and 'Battle' mode that are available in multiplayer for up to eight players via local wireless connection while all modes are available singleplayer. See a complete list and description of the play modes below:
- Grand Prix Mode: In Grand Prix Mode, the driver who earns the most points at the end of a four-course cup is the victor. Mario Kart DS features eight different cups, with each cup featuring four different tracks.
- Time Trial Mode: Your objective in Time Trial Mode is to get the fastest time that you can on a single track. . You can save your best runs as ghost data and share them with a friend.
- VS Mode: A competitive mode that can be either singleplayer. or multiplayer. In the singleplayer. version you'll race against computer-controlled karts, while in multiplayer you'll race against human opponents who play using their own Nintendo DS systems.
- Battle Modes: Mario Kart DS contains two battle modes.
- Balloon Battle Mode: Your goal is to pop your opponent's balloons by attacking/stealing them by colliding into an opponent via a mushroom boost, before your own balloons are popped.
- Shine Runners: In this mode the driver who collects the most Shine Sprites is the winner.
- Mission Mode: In this mode you are given sets of specific missions that you must clear in order to move on to the next set of missions. What could wait at the end?
Turbo power-drifting and item tossing is the order of the day, whether players are racing around an obstacle-filled track or battling in an arena. Use familiar items taken from every game in the series like Green Shells, homing Red Shells, Bananas, Bombs, Lightning and the destructive Spiny Shell, not to mention new ones like the Blooper. The touch screen features a map that shows items being fired at players, who can even tap it with their fingers mid-race to zoom in or out. Wireless Communication: Even More Ways to Play:
Mario Kart DS features three different forms of wireless game play: two kinds of local wireless game play and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection online game play. Mario Kart DS offers two different options for LAN Wireless game play: DS Download Play, in which only one player has Mario Kart DS and all players have Nintendo DS systems, and Multi-Card Play, in which all players have Mario Kart DS and Nintendo DS systems. DS Download Play
As with all DS Download multiplayer games, the DS Download Play in Mario Kart DS requires that only one player has a copy of the game. Unlike past DS games, however, DS Download Play in Mario Kart DS allows multiple players who have the game card to play with multiple players who do not have the game card. DS Download Play offers the following features:
- 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play.
- A choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle, or Shine Runner modes.
- Players who own Mario Kart DS can choose their own characters and use personalized icons, while players who do not own Mario Kart DS must play as Shy Guy and cannot use personalized player icons.
- Track selection is limited to eight tracks for racing and three arenas for Balloon Battle and Shine Runner modes.
- DS Download Play is limited to the 100 cc engine class
Multi-Card Play requires all players to have their own copies of Mario Kart DS, giving players more options, modes and tracks to choose from. Multi-Card Play offers the following features:
- 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play.
- Your choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle, or Shine Runner modes.
- Players can choose from different engine classes.
- No limits on character choice.
- No limits on track choice.
- Player's win/loss ratio is saved and tracked.
- Players who race locally are automatically added to each other's friend roster and then can race via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
- Players can trade ghost data wirelessly, allowing them to race against each others' best times.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is a free online game-play service provided by Nintendo to Nintendo DS owners. It offers seamless access to online game play and an environment that is welcoming to gamers of all skill levels. Features include: Whether it's the updated graphics that retain the side-scrolling feel of classic games in the Sonic franchise, an expansive world to race through and explore or the multiple and new ways to play, Sonic Unleashed offers something for players of any age or level of ability.
- 2-4 players racing simultaneously.
- Choice of playing with:
- Friends only (players registered as Friends)
- Rivals (players with similar skills)
- Recent opponents
- Regional racers (players in their country)
- World racers (players anywhere in the world)
- No limit on course choice, but each player votes for a course and the course with the most votes wins (in case of a tie, the course is chosen randomly)
- No limit on character choice
- Players can create and use personalized player icons
Top Customer Reviews
Fast forward to the year 2005. Fans of the series have seen a few sequels through the years, but the DS version of Mario Kart was greeted with much more anticipation than its predecessors. The main reason, obviously, is the game's inclusion of integrated online play. For the first time in Mario Kart's history, gamers can now take on players from all over the world as long as they're using a wireless router that is supported by Nintendo. The game also allows up to eight players to multiplay in close proximity with only one copy of the cartridge, which essentially means that a gamer who decides not to buy the game can still perform a download play and race against a friend who owns a cartridge.
Of course, to enjoy the other features in Mario Kart DS, you'll still have to purchase the game, especially when you're interested in taking on the single-player campaign. As with previous instalments, Mario Kart DS has a grand prix mode, which comprises of four races each that are span across eight different competitions. This means a total of 32 tracks for your racing pleasure. 16 of these tracks are brand new, but the rest consists of classic ones from previous renditions of Mario Kart. These include the Moo Moo Farm from N64, Peach Circuit from the GBA and even the original Mario Circuit from the SNES.Read more ›
It seems that the developers took everything great from Super Mario Kart (SNES), Mario Kart 64 (N64), Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), and Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) and put all of those elements into a single Mario Kart game. When you consider how wonderful all of these games have been and how much fun they still are today, that's quite an achievement. Mario Kart DS features some of the same gameplay modes that fans have seen for years: Grand Prix, Time Trial, and Battle. They're the same as always, with three ranks of difficulty in Grand Prix and several different battle modes in Battle.
Nintendo didn't stop with the classic game modes. In fact, they added another interesting mode called "Challenge" in which you pick up certain numbers of coins or do a set number of power slides in a lap under a certain amount of time. These challenges can be excruciatingly difficult but they make you a much more weathered Mario Kart player and therefore are a great addition to the game. Also, Multiplayer has come in the form of Nintendo's first WiFi-enabled online multiplayer DS game. The races in WiFi multiplayer are relatively simple but it's a great addition to the game nonetheless.
On the track itself, the controls are easy but don't utilize the DS very much--driving is done with the directional pad, acceleration and braking are done with the A and B buttons, power sliding is done with the R trigger, and item usage comes from the L trigger.Read more ›
This the game of the century! Some of the best graphics you have ever seen on DS. A good wide range of characters, including new unlockable characters like R.O.B the robot and Dry Bones. Cool new karts, and you even get to design your own emblems. There are three new weapons - Bullet Bill, Boo, and Blooper - plus some old weapons, like red shells, star and Bob-bomb. New tracks, as in Airship Fortress (based on Mario Bros. 3 boss levels) and Tick Tock Clock (based on a Mario 64 level). Also, there are classic cups: some from the NES, some from the SNES, some from the N64, and some from the GC. The best tracks in classic cup are Mushroom Bridge (GC) and Frappe Snowland (N64). A good game for people that have just bought the DS - and people that have already got the DS will LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The game I purchased doesn't work , everytime I turn it on it says an error has occurred I was wondering if I could receive a new one and send the old one backPublished 7 days ago by Mary Fuentez
It's a excellent product and it was on time. I recommend it a lotPublished 20 days ago by Brooke Blacksmith
Great game to play when there's a rainy day out!
It is a great and fun product to play with my friends and family. It is classic and so cool!
This is OK game if you have already played later versions of mario karts but still enjoyable, It is very easy to play this game and to finish all levels in a day or two. Read morePublished 27 days ago by Family Guy