Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,434 reviews
on April 5, 2017
Let me start by saying that I have been a huge fan of Mario Kart since the Super Mario Kart game came out for the Super Nintendo. When this game came out on the Wii with steering wheels, I knew that would be a game changer. This is the 2nd copy of this game that we've bought because we play it so much!

It is the perfect game for kids and adults alike. When the kids are playing, they have a great time, but we also have had nights with just adult friends and the game gets much more interesting (and hilariously competitive!). We can play this for hours and have a great time! I love that the game is great for up to 4 players because nobody has to sit out or take turns because there is enough fun to go around!

I am looking forward to many more Mario Kart game nights with my friends and family!
on April 18, 2017
I couldn't believe this is still full price after all these years, especially as 2 newer systems have come out. After receiving it, the family has played it everyday! It is truly a game the whole family can enjoy. My 4yo gives up his TV time for the day to play this instead. My wife practices after the kids go to bed. I would still highly recommend this game. I searched for used copies, and you only save about $5 buying used, as it is still in demand.
on March 24, 2017
Our family loves this game. It's easy enough that our 5 year-old can play, but entertaining enough that it engages adults too. Our 5 year-old loves unlocking the characters in the game. I recommend picking up some of the steering wheels that are available here or at any game store (used), as they really add to the feel of the game.
on December 23, 2011
My favorite is still Mario Kart 64, but this one may be in second place.

I feel like they focused too much on making the game new and exciting rather than balanced and fun but they still did pretty good at throwing everything together. It has tons of tracks, vehicles, characters, and is probably the most re-playable version of the series because there is so much stuff to unlock. I unlocked everything in the game using a stock character and vehicle so the unlocked stuff isn't overpowering like in past games. The unlock-able characters and carts seem well placed and often help you with your playing style. For example you unlock the fast characters while trying to do time trials or you get the agile carts from gold on the harder tracks.

This game adds bikes, which I think adds nice diversity and feels very well balanced. The karts tend to be faster with better mini boosts from jumps and corners. The bikes can pop wheelies to get a mini boost on the straight stretches but are more vulnerable to being thrown off balance. My wife likes playing with karts and I like bikes, and I think she usually wins.

Another feature to boost re-playability is the manual drift. All Mario Kart games had a power-slide around corners. In this one they give the choice of this drift being automatic or not. If you set it to automatic you don't get mini-boosts around corners. If you set it to manual you have to time when the slide starts but it is much more difficult than past games. It gives experienced players something extra to work on but doesn't seem unfair when somebody can drift manually well.

I always use the nun-chuck. I can't stand using the wheel. I haven't seen a game that gets the remote tilt steering right yet. Maybe I'm just used to buttons after growing up with them.

The one thing I hate about this game: the AI cheats with both hands.
When you get into the harder levels in the Grand Prix it will be completely normal to be hit with two or three things in a row. For example say you're a few seconds ahead, they will hit you with a pow, red shell, and a lightning bolt in a row to keep you stopped for several seconds. The suspicious part is how did the AI time firing the red shell so it would catch up just after you got hit with the pow?

The AI will also hit you at the worst times. Right after you go over jumps, or boosts, or right after you get a power-up, or right before you go around a corner with no railing, or just as you get to the bottom of a hill. Now some might call it coincidence but I just played for two hours and counted to make sure. Every time I was in 1st and hit with something it was at one of those five times.

The other thing that is suspicious is if the AI slows you down enough they have saved power-ups for you so the horde will hit you three or four times to ensure you get clear back to 8th place or so.

Personally, I'm sick of cheating AIs and feel there is no reason game makers should be short-cutting on such a critical part of their game, but it's become standard among games anymore.

So bottom line, like I said above, if you've liked the Mario Kart series, get this one!
on April 4, 2017
Gift for my just turned 5 year old nephew. He loves playing this game, can't get him away from it. The Wii is such a great console for a kiddo his age, not to mention the games are inexpensive :) I highly recommend this game to any Mario fan.
on January 6, 2017
I am awful at the game but it's still so much fun! Practice makes perfect, right? Who doesn't love tripping someone with banana peels?
on February 25, 2017
It worked on my Wii but was not a NA released disc and nowhere did it say it was coming from outside the US. I took extensive pictures to document the packaging just in case. You should too in case it doesn't work in your region.
on February 9, 2016
We love this game! It is super fun when we have parties or when company comes over they have a bunch of different courses from all the game systems on it which is nice and gives you some childhood flashbacks for sure. Everyone from grandparents to little kids love playing this game at our house!
on March 23, 2017
A must have that will never go out of style, I remember the days playing against friends. Had to purchase to keep the memories... and create more
on March 11, 2016
My kids love Mario Kart Wii, they keep coming back to play it after years of owning this game. They love it so much this was the second time I bought it since the cd broke. We all play the game and it's fun for all ages.