Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 231 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
When it comes to virtual board games, Nintendo has really conquered that market for the past several years with the success of the Mario Party franchise. Undoubtingly, the series that started from the Nintendo 64 back in 1999, has been the dominant force in the Mario spin-off franchises. It has proven to do so well from the N64, 4 editions for Nintendo's last home console, the Gamecube, and the recent success of Mario Party 8 for the Wii, the mini-game series has still remained as popular as it has been before. The biggest glitch though has remained in the handhelds. With the faults that have occured from the Game Boy Advance edition of Mario Party, many hanheld gamers have still been anxious for something a bit more to hold on too for the party. Now, with a new version for the Nintendo DS, it has proven to be a different course.

Mario Party DS brings the popular Mario board game series to a different handheld, and does deliver. There are over 70 different mini-games that range well from the simple use of the stylus, to the button mashing we all loved from before. There are five differnet boards for you to play on ranging from Toadette's Music Room, to Wiggler's Garden, the caterpillar from Super Mario 64, and many more to play with. There are also so many games to play around with that take full advantage of the Nintendo DS like more boss battles like Hexoskeleton, where you have to knock down a king-sized Dry Bones, to his knees by kicking fruits at him, to make him spill down to the floor, or the all-new Rotisserie Rampage, where one player is spinning the meat the other three players are on top of, as you try to roast them out to dry.

The gameplay takes full advantage of the DS as you even use the stylus, and the microphone in a game like Blowdown, where you'd have to knockdown a giant whomp by blowing into the mike. The graphics have proven to work much better here, than the e-card and the GBA versions of Mario Party, and takes the gameplay to a whole new innovation, as was the case with the Wii version. Sadly though, there is one big disadvantage with the game, there are 5 boards to play on, a few fewer than the editions from the N64 and Gamecube versions. Nevertheless, it still remains big on the graphics, sound, and fun all in one. It takes a step in the direction DS owners have desired for the franchise.

All in all, if you haven't played any edition of Mario Party before for the Gamecube, Wii, or N64 days, you'll definitely love this one for the Nintendo DS. It has so much fun at a great value in gameplay, excitement, and everything you'd expect from Mario, Luigi and company in a game that is fun and loveable in the palms of your hand. I absoluetly recommend this a whole lot, so party on down.

Graphics: B

Sound: B

Control: B+

Fun & Enjoyment: B 1/2+ for solo play; A- for multiplayer action

Overall: B 1/2+
44 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2008
I bought this product for my five year old son. He has many video games for his Nintendo DS and this is the one he plays the most. This is a game with a lot of fun activities inside (races, puzzles, find an object, etc.). The graphics are very good and the games are very well made (interesting, fun, clever, etc.). I've tried to buy this video game from game stores and it was very difficult to do so. It was sold out for quite a long time. If you can find it at Amazon, buy it and save time and money.
on March 28, 2009
I am a "mom gamer" and and I bought this to play with my kids in the "multi-player" mode. However, I thought I would first try it out myself in the single player mode. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see how much fun I had all by myself! I have played it several hours alone now, in several different modes and settings. I REALLY enjoy it! (Maybe I will even try it with my kids!)
on April 26, 2008
I am a huge fan of the Mario Party games, and this was beyond disappointment. It was boring, over quick, and with only 5 boards to choose from, you get no where fast. Also the other little items and badges you receive, serve no purpose, at least to me. I wish with the advancement of the Nintendo DS, they would come out with more challenging games. Or at least more games for adult children.
on February 21, 2010
The last Mario Party I played thoroughly was MP2 for the N64. Now, don't let my hiatus mislead you; I adore this series of games, but just have not had the opportunity to play one since the N64 days. So I was thrilled to find a version for my new DS. The mini-games really quenched my Mario Party thirst, but it still left me wanting a little more.

The game contains several modes, the most important being Story and Party. In Story mode, you play as one character through all five boards and beating bosses at the end of each board. For such an important mode, it's severely flawed. There is no option to alter the difficulty setting in this mode, and all of the CPU controlled characters are annoyingly easy to beat in minigames. On the other hand, they somehow manage the intelligence to cheat you of every star on the board. So you end up being the guy with hundreds of coins and not a star to your name.

Party Mode, therefore, is much preferable. You can choose between three (and later four) difficulty modes; most experienced players will be comfortably challenged in Hard difficulty. In Party Mode you can choose a game length from 10 to 30 rounds, and you may also turn on Bonus Stars, which are awarded to players at the end of the game based on hidden variables. These stars can often give a dark horse an upset victory. Most importantly, you can play Party Mode with friends using only one game cartridge, which significantly adds to the fun as alliances are formed and betrayed.

The mini-games are fantastic. There is a great balance of stylus and non-stylus games. There are very few games based entirely on luck, which is nice. I like being tested on my skill. There are some creative games here, like using the stylus to wind up a toy car. The stylus really allows for new innovation in the MP franchise. I only found one game downright impossible: Get The Lead Out. Even against the easy opponents I couldn't win. How do you hit the A button that fast?

What I find to be the game's biggest flaw is that the mini-game system isn't cruel enough. Unlike in previous installations, you cannot lose coins in a mini-game. Stealing coins in 1 vs. 3 and 2 vs. 2 games used to be a great way to prevent an opponent from purchasing an upcoming star. There is also no Boo in this game, so you cannot steal stars or coins (There are coin and star hexes, but the opponent has to land on them to trigger them). Now there are too many coins in play, and you watch futilely as your opponents buy star after star, and then buy items to get them to the stars faster. This difficulty is artificial and cheap. In one game (DK Stone Statue with Bowser's 5 Coin Star rule, what a nightmare) I found myself forfeiting 2 vs. 2 games just because I didn't want my teammate to get any more coins. That's bad.

The only other real problems with the game are that the boards and mini-games are too few. Other than that it's an enjoyable package, but one that left me wanting more. I can only pray that someday they'll make a new edition or--better yet--port the original MP to the DS, replacing analog stick rotations with stylus controls. That would be a very gratifying experience. Until then, this game will have to satisfy my MP fix, and for the next month or so it'll do just fine.

(P.S. -- If you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of mini-games. If you have any DS games in mind that are heavily based on short mini-games like those in MP, please let me know in the comments! I'm always looking to expand my game library.)
on May 27, 2011
I bought this for my 4 year old son. He absolutely loves it and plays it for hours. I highly reccomend this game.
on July 5, 2014
I love the mario party games on all systems I wanted to take a shot at the mario party nintendo ds and it's great and all the one that I own does has it's glitches setting down freezes the game up a little and have to turn it off and back on again. It's not a back game I just don't know getting used was a wise idea but could be my system. the dice move quickly and is hard to see till you give the dice a hit. bowser does tend to cheat you a little if you land on a star on the final five frenzy. since your in a group of characters wanting to be the star hero and if they win the board game and you don't, don't count on them winning at the boss battle. It doesn't let you see who won a battle game if you not the one chosen from the battler. they tend to want to improve their own odds of winning but who really doesn't. the mini games are very much fun and more different then a few of the ones I played in past mario party games. like the one against three train one mini game it's simple and fun just pick which side of the train you want to be on and the one chasing you down picks the other if you pick wrong you have to run fast by pushing a few buttons. instead of candy like the wii game mario party 7 has you get hex items. there's always been a three dice and a two dice but some things are very much different. there's no market where you can buy really cool things with your points you have to earn points and then there unlocked. other then that I hope that this review helps in your future game buy
on November 3, 2014
As a DIE-HARD fan of the "Super Mario Bros" franchise, I've played pretty much every single Mario Bros. game imaginable !
The "Mario Party" games dating back to the very first edition in 1998 to the N64 are among my favorites and the storylines can be quite entertaining ! Mario Party DS is a fun, entertaining game U can play anytime, anywhere.

The Story Modes are simple (play as Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, or Wailuigi) but very challenging when it comes to battling the bosses on each board. The Party Mode, U pick whatever board U want to play and set the number of turns U want ("Bowser's Pinball Machine" can't be played in the Party Mode until after you've defeated Bowser in the Story Mode) and each board features an item shop where U can purchase items to help U along the way.

The mini-games are fun and sometimes challenging and U can actually practice a mini-game so U can get the hang of it.
"Mario Party DS" is a PARTY load of fun right there in the palm of your hand !
on February 8, 2014
I am a 13 year old video-gamer, and have been playing this game since I was 9. IT IS REALLY FUN!! Especially if you have friends or family with a ds. With the multiplayer feature you can play with or against them ( you can only imagine the battling family feud memories I have with this game)!! This game is not quick to finish, very long, but it never gets boring! Extremely fun mini games!

The game is about playing a board game against 3 to 1 opponents. Who ever gets the most stars ( bought or earned ) wins. There are many different games, puzzles, and obstacles. It is also helpful that if your playing against a computer, you can control them to Easy, Normal, Hard, or Expert. Your choice depends on how good you are. It's very helpful because if you work up to being an Expert in the game, you won't be forced to do the same easy stuff over and over. I totally recommend trying against harder opponents. This game is all about challenge. It takes awhile to unlock Expert. All in all, this is extremely fun for months and years of gameplay. I really do recommend it.

Pros:
- never bores
- lasts for years
- multiplayer feature allows you to go against you friends and family's ds
- you can become any character
(I have no idea why it's called MARIO party ds. It should be called EVERYONE party ds, but that's not quite as catchy is it?)

Cons:

NONE! :)

BONUS PRO........ Peach isn't the damsel in distress because you can be any character, you can even use her to defeat Bowser at the end! :)
on March 30, 2013
There is a great variety one can choose from with this game. You get a lot of games for the money. Anyone can play; easy to play. We enjoy the board game mode; family fun. You can play solo to earn points, which get you various items or games. Many areas of this software to explore. Very entertaining; we have a lot of laughs. Arrived in great condition.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.