Marlboro Music Festival 50th Anniversary Album - Recordings, 1969 - 1997 Live
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Page 1 of 1 Start overPage 1 of 1
Bridge Records is pleased to issue this two-disc set, specially selected from the Marlboro Music Festival archives by the festival's co-directors - Richard Goode and Mitsuko Uchida. Disc One includes works by Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Verdi; Disc Two, an all-Hungarian disc, features Bartok, Kurtag and Ligeti. These performances were recorded between 1969 and 1997, and give the listener ample opportunity to discover the reason why Marlboro has been a mecca for performers and chamber-music enthusiasts alike.
Founded by illustrious musicians including pianist Rudolf Serkin, the Marlboro Festival's been an incubator for talented young musicians who rehearse and perform with established veterans in what Serkin proudly described as "a republic of equals." This 50th anniversary album is drawn from concerts recorded between 1969 and 1997 in sound that ranges from very good to excellent. Repertory reflects Marlboro's huge range, from the rare four-hand piano Marches by Beethoven to compelling contemporary works by Kurtág and Ligeti. All performances are on the highest level. The Verdi String Quartet gets a warmly thrustful reading from a foursome led by one Serkin's favorite violinists, Pina Carmirelli, and the first disc ends with a perceptive early Mendelssohn masterpiece, the Quartet, Op. 13. The highlight of the set is a memorable Bartók Divertimento for Strings with a string orchestra composed of top chamber and orchestral players conducted incisively by Sandor Vegh. And the Kurtág works were rehearsed under the composer's watchful eye. This is more than a simple tribute to the festival, although visitors to the festival in southern Vermont will want it as a souvenir. For the rest of us, this is an eminently desirable collection of excellent performances of great music. --Dan Davis
1. Beethoven: Three Marches for Piano, Four Hands, Allegro ma non troppo
2. Beethoven: Three Marches for Piano, Four Hands, Vivace
3. Beethoven: Three Marches for Piano, Four Hands, Vivace
4. Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, Allegro
5. Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, Andantino
6. Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, Prestissimo
7. Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, Scherzo Fuga
8. Franz Schubert: Der Hirt auf dem Felsen, Op. 129, D. 965
9. Mendelssohn: String Quartet in A minor, Op. 13, Adagio
10. Mendelssohn: String Quartet in A minor, Op. 13, Adagio non lento
11. Mendelssohn: String Quartet in A minor, Op. 13, Intermezzo
12. Mendelssohn: String Quartet in A minor, Op. 13, Presto
There are no customer reviews yet.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Amazon Giveaway allows you to run promotional giveaways in order to create buzz, reward your audience, and attract new followers and customers. Learn more about Amazon Giveaway
This item: Marlboro Music Festival 50th Anniversary Album - Recordings, 1969 - 1997
Look for Similar Items by Category
Pages with Related Products. See and discover other items: dennis chambers