Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

• Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 236 reviews
on June 23, 2016
I have been curious about this stuff for over a decade, but never had the chance to sample it. Recently, I have made a bona fide effort to eliminate meat from my diet, but I knew from experience after going vegan in my teens and messing my body up due to diet, I KNEW I needed to supplement my B vitamins this time around. Marmite is a great food in that it is packed with B vitamins and 100% vegetarian.

I had read reviews until I was blue in the face and wanted with all my heart to enjoy this on toast. It didn't work out that way. I tried it on toast. On bagels. On crackers. On toast and bagels and crackers with butter. And it just wasn't working out. The taste is just different and probably one of those acquired tastes if you weren't brought up on it. Luckily I found some recipes for some veggie stews that this makes a great addition to and when added to certain dishes, really makes a flavor explosion. I am so relieved that I found a way to make it palatable for myself because I need the benefits of this marmite.

I encourage you to try it. Even if you don't love it on toast, look up some recipes that use it.
on February 6, 2014
I've wanted to try this forever. How dumb was I. Now before you get all mad let me explain. I am German, Norwegian, and Russian. Im pretty sure I have gravy flowing through my veins. I LOVE soy sauce and for some delusional reason, I thought this would taste salty like soy sauce.... wrong. I opened the package while standing outside with the neighbor. We discussed Marmite and proceeded to put a bit on our fingers and taste.... We were spitting over the side of the landing within seconds. I've heard not to try it plain like that, but I didn't listen... why didn't I listen? The next morning (since the taste was nearly out of my mouth) I decided to try it on toast with butter. I spread it as thin as humanly possible while ripping my toast to shreds. Still no good. I couldn't even swallow the bite of toast. Have you ever smelled the inside of a vitamins container? Im not talking about those adorable flintstones ones. I am talking about the kind in your grandmas cupboard. This tastes like vitamins, and not in a good way. In a giant brown pill sort of way. I will have nightmares about this stuff. Now that its in my pantry, I don't know what to do with it.
on October 27, 2016
I've heard of Marmite but had never tried it. After watching several 'taste tests' via YouTube, and reading numerous reviews both here and elsewhere, I became intrigued how one food product could generate so many conflicting opinions. Actually, there were basically just two opinions: "I love it! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" or "There is no way on this earth, this universe and this lifetime that I'll ever try this again! Yecch, pooey! My tongue needs an exorcist!" So I did what any guy would do when being presented with such passionately opposing opinions. I gots me some.

At the outset, I must again commend Amazon on how quickly my order arrived. Even as a Prime member the order was at my door earlier than expected. However, if ordering from a European distributor, it will take substantially longer to get the order to your doorstep -- to the tune of up to four weeks -- but the offset here is that price will most likely be considerably less. Fortunately for me, Amazon served as the shipper this time and the price was comparable to other choices. Kudos, Amazon!

Opening the box, the first thing I notice is this nice, compact cute little brown jar -- the color of which one could easily associate with a container from times long past of something medicinal. "Medicinal", that and "chemical", were two terms I heard a couple of times in the taste tests. The jar and those terms quickly provided a mindset that I wasn't all comfortable with.

When reviewing taste test results and pointers for eating Marmite, there was a consistent thread running among them: this spread is best served on buttered toast. So I was prepared. Since I no longer eat bread and had none in the pantry (now that I'm on the Paleo diet), I threw together some ingredients and in less than an hour I had some warm, delicious Irish Soda Bread in front of me. I sliced off a piece, slathered it with ghee, popped it under the broiler and minutes later I was prepared to indulge in this strange British stuff in the medicine bottle.

I opened the jar, placed it under my nose and carefully sniffed. Hmmmm....a pleasant aroma, slightly piquant and nutty. I dipped the point of a butter knife into the jar and was surprised to find Marmite's consistency not unlike thick molasses, as well as resembling it in color, but it was gooier -- much like honey but not as dense. I spread a conservative amount -- oh so conservative per some of the warnings of those taste tests I mentioned! -- on my warm, buttered toast. Its consistency changed slightly allowing it to spread easily. I was now ready for my first bite.

Would I be transported to a blissful realm of foodie Nirvana, or would I regain consciousness the next day with my head on backwards and pea soup dripping from the walls and ceiling? I dove in, chomped down and anxiously waited for my taste buds to engage. Engage? "Make is so, Number One!" briefly entered my mind. If Counselor Troi were here to read my thoughts right now. Whoo boy!

The taste of this totally weird food came in layers. First, I tasted chocolate. Then salt. Then salt and chocolate. Delightful! Then a completely foreign taste assaulted me. Acrid, bitter combined with some of the residual saltiness I first experienced. The chocolate taste apparently fled, being totally supplanted by this ... fermented? ... taste. Then a hint of saltiness again as I continued to chew. I swallowed. Had a sip of morning tea. Then I took another bite of my slice of warm, toasted Irish Soda Bread with ghee a wee smidgen of Marmite. Again I waited. Same results: first the chocolate flavor, then saltiness, then salty chocolate and finally that exclamation point of bitter/fermentation. Awesome! A totally awesome combo of layers of flavors. Swallow, sip some tea, take another bite and repeat until sated.

I really liked it. They say that this 'yest extract' is an acquired taste thing. I do believe for many on this side of The Pond it will take some time to become accustomed to the flavor of Marmite. I recall my learning curve for getting the taste down for beer took a long time...about an hour or so. Glass after glass before finally acquiring the taste for it and it was all good from that point on. So be patient with yourself if you're trying Marmite for the first time.

I'm nowhere near the nirvana experienced by truly hard core lovers of Marmite, but I can easily say that with its unique flavor(s) I do enjoy it. Being a neophyte, I've yet to discover how to eat it without bread, though. The following morning I dabbed a bit on my scrambled eggs. Not so good, really; however, after adding a few drops of Tabasco to my scrambled eggs and their new buddy, Marmite, I had quite the tasty breakfast!

A big Thumbs Up here. For those sitting on the fence: Be brave, take the plunge! This stuff is radically weird but tasty! So tasty, that I've placed an order for Marmite's cousin from Down Under, Vegemite. Call me crazy. What can I say? I'm a fan of this stuff!
on September 14, 2009
As an American, I was curious about this spread that the British like so much. It's expensive here, both for the product itself and shipping costs, although you could save a little by ordering in bulk. I decided I could afford one jar.

No, you don't either have to love it or hate it; I just like it. It does kind of grow on you, and is probably better the fifth time you try it than the first. Very, very, salty, but I like salty things. Other than that, the flavor is vaguely reminiscent of something, but it would be hard to say what; the point is that it's not actually a *strange* taste. It's also one of those unusual foods that tastes better than it smells, at least in my opinion.

I'll finish off this 125g jar, mostly on my morning toast. After that, if it ever became available in my regular grocery at, say $2 to $3 a jar, I'd definitely keep some in the house, but mail order prices are a bit too much to make a habit of it. I'm not blaming distributors for charging what they do for imported food, it's just a matter of how much it's worth to me.

[EDIT] I have to edit this one more time, as I've unfortunately developed a Marmite addiction. I said this is better the fifth time than the first. By the time I finished the jar, it had become a habit. One local grocery store does have this, $6.99 for a 125g jar, but at least there's no sales tax on groceries in this state. And I've found an online source which is only $6.40 a jar, including shipping, if I buy in quantities of 6.
2424 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
So I've read numerous reviews and met people who either love it or hate it. I'm in the middle...I think this size jar will last me the rest of my life even though I will dip into it occasionally. A little goes a long way and the taste reminds me of beef flavoring cubes. I've eaten it on toast and crackers, not sure what else I'd want to eat it with. I might try dissolving it in hot water but then I might as well make myself a cup of tea instead. Many people I've talked to say they can't get past the smell but I like durian fruit so this is benign on that scale. Ordering it through Amazon was cheaper than buying it in the local store even though it was shipped all the way from the UK.
on May 3, 2013
Have heard of this vitamin/food product for years. Bought a bottle from Amazon a week or so ago and received it today. First off I LIKE "salty". I mean, I REALLY *LIKE* SALTY! On first try Marmite tastes to me like a paste form of beef bullion cubes with a slightly "medicinal" aftertaste. Had I been brought up with MARMITE from childhood, I KNOW I would've been addicted to it! As it is, trying it spread THIN on some matzoh, I not only "see" the attraction, but will order more in the near future, as the little jar won't last long! As a vitamin supplement which doubles as an ingredient in recipes (I'll try some of the food recipes in the Marmite book I also bought), This is REALLY, REALLY *GOOD*!
Just think "vitamin" "paste" which is both palatable AND good for you!
on December 9, 2016
I have never tried Marmite or Vegamite before but thought it would taste good because of what it is made from. I chose the Marmite over the Vegamite because it had less artificial flavors and colors. I like the flavor a lot. It is delicious spread nice and thin on any kind of toast or crackers with a little butter. I also use it to flavor dishes like Shepherd's Pie and some stews and soups instead of bouillon that I want to have a more French flavor. A little bit goes a long way.
on June 1, 2014
Yes, I know it's yeast extract, but it tastes like beef extract and I treat it as such in recipes. There is a salty, rich, meaty characteristic which is interesting. I guarantee that you will either love or hate this product, because it is an acquired taste. I have eaten it with crackers, and as a dip for beef. Brits eat this on a sandwich with butter for breakfast. A word of caution: it is super concentrated and strongly flavored and really salty. I bought a bottle of Vegemite at the same time, and I see very little difference between the two. This container of Marmite is small, which may or may not be a good thing.
on October 29, 2013
It took me many tries to find a way to eat this. I tried it on my toast and didn't like it. I even spread it very thinly, as recommended. Then I hit upon the idea of putting it on my rye toast with butter and cream cheese on it. That was the ticket. It was really good. I don't know what the cream cheese does to Marmite, but it makes it very tasty. I won't be eating this product very often right now. I think I need to acquire a taste for it!! But I will keep eating it with my rye toast, cream cheese and butter.
on October 15, 2014
Well, it's not the best tasting stuff, but in tiny amounts I really enjoy it. I don't know why. I don't know if it's the faint aftertaste, or the contrast in flavors when I add it to toast, but in small amounts, I kind of like it. It smells horrible. This stuff is only enjoyable as a complimentary flavor, because on its own it's horrible. So, I'm rating it a three, which is middle of the road. It's a nice little thing to have every now and then. It's a break I'm sure many will enjoy from sweet toppings like jelly or honey. Just be sure you don't add too much.