Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on April 30, 2013
I just finished watching the teaser episode for Marc Maron's upcoming IFC sitcom. I was a little nervous going into it. I have come to really like Marc Maron after listening to his podcast on and off for the last couple of years and I do not want to see him fail. But I thought the teaser episode was really strong. I am very relieved to be able to say, with total honesty, that I really enjoyed it. I feel like they have captured Maron's sensibility perfectly. Maron is, of course, playing himself. Everyone who has listened to Maron's podcast is intimately familiar with his neurotic insecurities. But most listeners also realize that in addition to his neuroses Maron is also a really sensitive guy with real heart. That definitely comes across in this show.

I am going to go on what might seem like a bit of a digression for a moment but it will all come back to this show. I promise. I was a big Family Guy fan right away. I thought the first couple of seasons of that show were as funny as anything I had ever seen. Then the show got cancelled. Then it came back. Initially, I was not as thrilled with the second installment of the show as I was with the first. It seemed like there were not as many laughs per minute. However, I continued watching, and I realized that the characters were becoming more defined. There still were not as many laughs per minute but the characters had become more interesting and the show was more interesting to watch even when I was not laughing. Eventually, I decided that I liked the second installment better, and when I look back on the really early episodes, I feel like, once the jokes had become stale, there was not a whole lot left.

The reason I bring this up is this: there were probably only a few laugh out loud moments in the Maron teaser episode for me. However, the characters were all very interesting to me. The story line of the show was interesting to me. I am so glad that they decided to have Maron playing himself. I am fascinated with the behind the scenes look we get of the podcast. I am fascinated by Maron's personality and his relationships. I know the show is fictionalized to some degree but it still feels like we are getting a pretty up close look at Maron's life and personality. I think I probably speak for many of Maron's podcast listeners when I say: I would watch that show even if there were no laughs. Of course, there are laughs. I thought the actor who played Maron's sidekick did an excellent job, but the show is not depending solely on laughs to keep the viewer interested.

The point is: there is enough substance in this show to make it worth watching even when you are not laughing. I think that is really important. I think that if Family Guy had remained on the path it was on I eventually would have gotten tired of it. Once the novelty of the cut away gags, and a baby who is an evil genius, had worn off, I think it would have become boring. Luckily, the show evolved. The characters became more interesting. The fact that this show is starting off with such interesting characters, and with real substance (the show definitely has a heart), is a good sign in terms of staying power. There were definitely some funny moments in the show, but I have realized over the years that the shows I keep watching are not the shows with the most jokes per minute, but the shows that have characters I care about, that deal with issues I am interested in, that have unique perspectives on life and the world, etc.. This show has all of that.

So, Mr. Maron, I would like to congratulate you on a job well done. I am looking forward to seeing where things go from here. I am wishing you the best of luck. You certainly have my attention...
on August 25, 2013
I recently cut the cable cord, so I no longer get IFC directly. I'm so happy that I can select and pay for the shows I want to watch and Marc Maron's show is one of those. I've been a regular listener of his podcast WTF for over three years and I was excited about the premiere of his new show. I love his long form interviews on the podcast -- they've made me laugh out loud (yes, I spelled it out people -- I'm not keyboard lazy.) and dig deep into my heart about serious shit. I knew his show would be honest and brutally funny. I was excited that Amazon offered the show and made to sure to grab the episodes I missed after I cut the cable cord. Maron has a talented supporting cast and Marc hit his acting groove early on in the first season. Kudos to this 25 year comedian veteran for finally getting his own show. I'm happy to hear IFC was smart enough to pick it up for a second season.

Keep up the good work Marc -- you've earned and deserve all the success that is coming your way.
Boomer lives!!
on May 10, 2013
As a long time fan of Marc's stand-up and podcast, I was very happy to hear that he finally got a television show. If you're reading this then you probably are a fan as well and don't need a review to tell you to watch. If you just came across the show in your recommendations and are unfamiliar with Mr. Maron, you can find some of his stand-up via Amazon Instant Video (search Marc Maron or Comedy Central Presents) and also check out his albums and WTF podcast. Or you can just spend 20 minutes watching the show and decide whether you like it or not.
on October 11, 2013
Maron's show takes you into his world of comics, cats, and misfits who weave an often funny but sometimes poignant storyline. The setups are much more intelligent than the usual sitcom, and Maron delivers witty insight into the goings on via his podcast set pieces. What I like most about this show is the simplicity: no fancy camera angles, no over the top bling, no pretensions, just basic story telling with good twists and turns. I hope there are more seasons.
on August 11, 2013
It must have been daunting attempting to turn such a wildly compelling podcast into a tv series that could translate such character within mere minutes. I will admit that the first episode tested my attention span for Dave Foley. It's nice that those that love him continue to include him. I can only hope for the same in my own life. All in all, I have to say that Maron is a tremendously talented entertainer and I will continue to follow and support him so long as that is true!
on June 23, 2013
This show is pretty good. I like it. Each episode is a little better than the last. I have listened to every podcast and feel heavily invested in the marc maron franchise. So, yeah after episode one, which was a little clunky and forced, I wasn't too sure about that investment. Thankfully the next episode was a little better, and by episode 3 I am all in. Marc takes his shirt off quite a bit. Not sure about that choice. I clicked five stars here because I want marc maron to like me.
on May 12, 2015
I identify with Maron....the only real difference is I've already been thru some of his changes (I'm older). Seasons 1& 2 were excellent and Season 3 starts on IFC this week. Highly recommended show.
on July 29, 2013
As a long time listener of the podcast, WTF, I couldn't wait to see Marc Maron's new show. I love the show. Maron isn't afraid to show his compulsive or neurotic side. While others might brush life's embarrassing moments under the rug, Maron embraces and highlights them for all to see and experience. It's funny, raw, real and utterly loveable. Watch and enjoy!
on April 30, 2013
If you ever had self doubt watching or listening to Marc will make you feel better. He voices all those doubts you might have in a funny articulate and really smart way. You are not alone. I can't fix a thing at home. Why should I that's why I work to pay people to do that stuff. But I can fix your PC or cook you a meal. As Marc might say "Don't judge me"
on June 25, 2015
Love Maron, if you've never heard of the guy try this or better yet try listening to an episode of WTF his podcast.