Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 732 reviews
on May 30, 2012
Loved this book. The story grabs you from the beginning and keeps your attention by switching from one character's history to another, slowly revealing how the stories relate--each filling in gaps left by the others. In some ways it feels like you're reading a mystery, but it's actually a story about growing up and finding your identity. This isn't a light reading "boy meets girl" story--it's full of esoteric literary references, philosophical and religious exploration, and even has a helping of scientific research well-explained as part of the plot--but that made me love it even more. Reliving the characters' experiences taking classes in the early 80s at Brown gave me that same feeling I used to get after doing a ton of schoolwork, where it all finally clicks and you realized it was worth the effort--but without any of the effort at all.

The book is easy to follow, written well, and leaves you thinking about it whenever you put it down. I read this because it's the assigned book for my club book with a bunch of 20-something recent college grads, and I think we're actually going to discuss the book (a lot) this time.

Pick this one up - you won't regret it.
on August 13, 2013
Eugenides's unique writing guides the reader masterfully into this multi-levelled story of three young adults who go from university's oyster to the world; as always with him, there is no criticism, no suggestion of right or wrong, good or evil... You get the real sense, that things are what they are, plain and simple, even when they are complicated; and that for some things in a person's life, things that constitute our core theme, there is no choice.
How we go about with the 'choice' part is what makes our personal life story.
on February 28, 2014
I just finished reading this book. While "Middlesex" is still my favorite of his books, this is a really wonderful story in a completely different way. It follows only a small number of characters through college at Brown and also for a while post-college. The story weaves in their diverse family backgrounds and covers all sorts of areas such as religion, philosophy, literature, mental illness, choices (and why we make them). Just the excellent quality and complexity I expect from Jeffrey Eugenides. Recommended!
on April 24, 2014
A great story about young love and all of the complications that come along with it. A good read for college students on up.
on May 2, 2013
This book captivated me. I've read Middlesex as well Virgin Suicides, and Eugenides continues to impress. I love his writing style, his development of characters, and the fact that this book was set in the 80's was also a plus. He really knows how to write. The plot was riveting, and I enjoyed that the protagonist was an English major, (like myself) it was easy to relate to Madeline and the struggles she was faced with. Great book, can't wait for another Eugenides novel :)
on January 24, 2016
This novel gets the academic scene about right--a rather unusual achievement. Characters are well developed. I found the ending a bit predictable, but that's a minor flaw.
on March 12, 2013
This novel is a veritable cornucopia for English Majors. The literary references are both familiar and arcane. The exploration of various religious philosophies are done so cleverly with a light touch and yet delving deeply into ancient wisdom.
Of course this is a wonderful contemporary love story woven in with much in the way of graphic detail but a realistic commentary on todays' young people struggling to prepare themselves for the :"adult world". And of course there's always that ironic Eugrnides humor when you least expect it.
A great read!
on January 16, 2015
I first fell in love with Jeffrey Eugenides when I read The Virgin Suicides. While I wasn't a fan of Middlesex, I was still excited to read The Marriage Plot. Like The Virgin Suicides, this novel is a great example of Eugenides' beautiful grasp on language. I was captivated from the first line to the final word. As always, Eugenides delicately balances cold hard reality with dreamlike prose.
on April 28, 2015
...which is why I love this book. I can easily see this becoming a modern literary classic. So many books have so little substance these days. That is not the case with The Marriage Plot. Neither are the plotlines neatly wrapped up, leaving one hoping fir a sequel. I certainly found myself wrapped up in the lives of these characters. Give us more!
on August 17, 2014
I loved "Middlesex," but think Eugenides has gotten more focused with this book. His "marriage plot" is an engrossing one that also includes a harrowing portrayal of bipolar disorder and an inspiring and funny spiritual quest. Main characters in the triangle are well-drawn, particularly Leonard and Mitchell. Would have loved to have as in-depth a portrait of Madeleine.