Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 27, 2015
This was a very enjoyable read. Marvel did a great job including nostalgic pictures and pages pertaining to Cap's cadet club for children of the WWII era; that was neat to see! This very first volume of CA comics will bring you back in time when things were much simpler and a clearer line was drawn between the good guys and bad guys (in reality and in comics at the time) compared to today's standards. Everyone I show this to (comic fan or not) feels the need to take a closer look at this iconic superhero who is seen slugging Hitler; a drawing created before the US was even at war with Nazi Germany. Wow! It gleans from a time when US citizens where able to find common ground and become unified against this evil force.
on September 25, 2014
This is just a quick review of the Kindle version of this product. This is a nice reproduction of the first Golden Age issues of Captain America. If you know the original Golden Age comics then you know what to expect here. I was surprised to see it was available in Kindle format and for a very reasonable price at that. The Marvel Masterworks (and DC Archives) hardcovers can be quite expensive and hard to find so I snatched it up on Kindle. I hope we see more of them made available digitally at a low price. The one problem I have with it is that the pages do not fill up the entire screen on my tablet. I am using the Kindle app on Windows 8.1 and there is at least a one inch border of white space all the way around the screen on my 10 inch tablet. Yes, you can zoom in but still it cuts down on the readability quite a bit. I had the same problem with another digital comic I purchased so the app itself may be at fault.
on July 7, 2017
Amazon kindle, please release the missing marvel masterworks for iron man, hulk, avengers, and thor so they all will be up to date with the marvel masterworks from spider man, fantastic four, and daredevil. Thank you.
on December 12, 2015
This was the first Marvel Masterworks edition that I've purchased for the Kindle Fire, and while the art reproduction is up to snuff, it's a very staid book; if you don't have a Fire or a touchscreen device, you will be kind of screwed for seeing the detail of the artwork.

The Kindle version is also missing the book's introduction and any creators credits, which is an unforgivable omission to any golden age fan or comic historian.

I think I will stick to the print version of these books in the future.
on July 1, 2016
This is why I am a fan of Marvel comics! Captain America is one of my favorite superheroes and I glad you have this edition of his very first adventures starting with his origin, his first meeting with his arch enemy The Red Skull and how he met with Bucky to become his crime fighting sidekick. Keep informing me on more volume issue series like this featuring each of the Marvel or DC superheroes of all time.
on August 30, 2009
I never cared for Golden Age comics. The few I saw seemed crude and simplistic compared to the Silver and Bronze age stuff I grew up with. I picked up this volume not expecting very much and was pleasantly surprised.

There is a surprising amount of macabre to Simon & Kirby's villains, not just the classic Red Skull, but "Chess-board of Death," "the Hunchback of Hollywood" and "the Wax Statue that struck Death."

For once, the backup features weren't just filling up pages. I was genuinely interested in the caveboy Tuk and Hurricane. I hope they continued those features when I purchase volume 2.

Even the text pages were better than usual (not that that's saying much!).

If you're at all interested in the character or in golden age comics, you will probably enjoy this book.
on December 12, 2013
It's interesting to see the origins of comics characters. Keep that in mind when purchasing this volume. The stories here need to be appreciated within the context of their times. These are the comics your Parents or Grandparents read when they were young and things were different then. The style and story telling and even the art reflect this. I myself enjoy this and appreciate it for what it is.
on November 22, 2014
Excellent compilation from the original comic books of the Captain America, but its important to say that this book only includes the firsts four issues (May 1941- August 1941). Highly recommended for all fans of Marvel Comics, specially the Captain America.
on July 12, 2016
This collection of the first Captain America comics is full of adventure, intrigue, and patriotic ferver. It shows how Captain America fought sabotage and subversion just before America's entry into World war two.
on August 30, 2016
Reasonably priced and speedy delivery.