Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 3 forum

Mass Effect 3: Anyone else feel like they've been kicked in the teeth?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 292 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2012, 7:49:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2012, 8:06:04 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
***SPOILER ALERT***

Years in the making.
Incredible build-up.
A massive punch in the face at the end.
Did the writers of The Soprano's write this?
Mass Effect 3: The game of choices, that doesn't give you any choice.
The chemistry of the teammates in ME1 and ME2 was not there. Vega? I have no idea why he was even there. The Prothean was obnoxious, and another unlikable character.
The teammates that did return, Mordin, Jacob, Miranda, Jack and Samara were unplayable, and the deaths of some where in cut-scene so there was nothing you could do or say about it.
Why not just bring the old team back. Go on missions to find and get your team back from ME2 instead of this stupid scanning/picking up war assets crap? I can see missions to unite the species, but scanning a planet and finding a fleet? Really?

And anyone who is a devotee of the franchise is so, because it's a personal game. You're choices, your crew, your game. So, why is it, the one thing that can really screw you is your War Readiness that is DEPENDENT on playing the multi-player missions?
What if you're like me and don't go in for multi-player, you just want to sit and play the damn thing yourself?
Well, you're jammed.

Then after you fight off everything in the galaxy with a Shepard who can now roll (so when you want him to duck for cover to regain health, he, instead, rolls out into the open and gets shot in the head) you get burned to a crisp by a reaper.
Why?
Because, once again, the game takes over and that's how BioWare wanted it. Not you. Not your choices. The game writer's.
The ending felt totally "guided" like any other shooter out there.

Then apparently, no matter how many choices you made to achieve Paragon or Renegade ratings in 1 and 2, because if you didn't you lost people, you get three choices at the end.
No victory.
No finally seeing your character achieve some sort of piece with whomever they romanced.
No, you get this:
1. You can do this . . . but you'll die.
2. You could do this . . . but you'll die.
3. OR, might want to do this . . . but you'll die.
You have a choice, but they all end our way, because we felt it made your character look more noble.
Or, I would suppose.

I can't believe ME ended this way: Dependent on a new multi-player platform to pick up ratings you have no way to get on your own.
Watching the final cut-scene was like watching Tony Soprano look up, and the screen going black.
Just sit there, yell, "Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!"
And realizing you've invested all that time in something for nothing.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 8:21:47 PM PST
J. Jones says:
*raises hand* I just finished last night and was just left stunned and p!ssed off! Just unbelievable. I've been playing Bioware games since the first Baldur's Gate. I was planning on purchasing Knights Of The Old Republic next month - but that isn't happening now... I'm just... really disappointed.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 8:28:39 PM PST
Kelly Hanna says:
Mass Effect 3: The Quest for More Money.

Yeah, the ostensible reason for having fewer companions was so that you'd form stronger, more personal relationships with the remaining npcs. Unfortunately, after watching Mordin, Legion, and then Thane all die, I really didnt care about some johnny-come-lately steroid freak named Vega. I liked Mordin, Thane, and Legion, which I suppose is why they had to die, so that we'd get all weepy and emotionally invested in the story. We had a group of likable characters that we put some effort into saving in Mass Effect 2, only to have them either croak (with no chance of making different choices) or be unplayable in Mass Effect 3.

I liked the options of 1 and 2 and choices that had an impact.

The parts of 1 and 2 that were good were just overdone here. If a few cut scenes were good in 1 and 2, then lets make every single action result in a cut scene in 3. Here's Shepard fighting the Reapers. Here's Shepard fighting Cerberus. Heres Shepard rubbing one out in the captain's cabin when he thought he had a quiet moment alone. Too many cut scenes.

The little ninja dude that killed Thane was overdone too. The gratuitous insults at Thane intended to get you all riled up and make him an even more hateful villain was just lame. Blatantly contrived and transparent.

What happened to you Bioware, you wrote good stories once upon a time. This was the only Bioware game where I finally started skipping dialogue to get to the end and get it over with. Unlike 1 and 2 I have no urge to go back and make different choices and see what happens.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 9:03:25 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
"Rubbing one out in the Captain's Cabin." ROFL!!!
I'm not sure if that counts as a Paramour achievement or not?
The assassin was overdone. I remember him from the ME books, but why put him in the game. He was never in the game, unless they want you to go buy the books.
I'm thinking, I put all this effort in. I got the Quarian's homeworld back, AND THEY CAN'T GET BACK TO IT!
EDI was a nice touch, but everything that made ME2 great was GONE here.
Aria talking about the Illusive Man taking over Omega . . .
Why wasn't one of the missions using the Blood Pack, Eclipse and Blue Suns along with her to take Omega back to use as an outpost for the war?
What I liked about the game was it wasn't your typical, run into a room, kill everybody, kill the boss, run into another room, kill everyone, kill the boss, type of game, and ME3 looks like it was designed to attract people who like games just like that.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 2:59:11 AM PST
Mumwaldee says:
Bioware is dead to me.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 5:56:04 AM PST
W. A. H. says:
Yeah. If Hudson were to ask me how I liked the game, I'd definitely be pulling the Renegade trigger.
I know it's just a game. But, it's a (no pun intended) massive game. There's a lot of time required in this to make sure your team was safe. To make sure you did the right thing as best you could.
They knew what they were doing, if I were Hudson, I would have stomped on the idea of the end from the gate. You don't have to have an ending like that to make a character look noble. That ending is a tool of weak writing. The self-sacrifice is just as much a cliche as the happy ending. And when I went through the conversations with Tali (who my Shep romanced) I got an ugly feeling it was coming.
But part of me hoped they wouldn't go that route.
Cliche or not, a lot of people invested a lot of hours on each of those games to ensure a good outcome that was destined to fail no matter what they did.
That's wrong.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 6:21:06 AM PST
Some people have only started playing Mass Effect series for their first time ever....then
there's the rest of us who discovered games like Baldur's gate and Knights of the Old Republic who witnessed the birth of a great developer like Bioware. Slowly with EA's tight tyranical grip on this developer instead of learning and evolving it is regressing to this monstrosity that I can no longer support. The last Bioware game that I bought was Dragon Age 2 it is now the last. As long as EA hovers above Bioware I will never buy a BIoware game again...if you bought this game and want to continue enjoying it be prepared to spend over 100.00 dollars or more..Mass Effect's lead director said on Twitter that "if you only knew what we had planned for Mass Effect 3's DLC you would keep your copy forever" Yah I bet that's what they want so you keep shelling out your hard earned bucks to EA...can't believe I'm saying this but Bioware has now become a CashCow developer. Bioware used to make games for the love of video gaming and for their fans...now all they have become is Electronic Art slaves...truly this is a sad day or week....

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 6:29:01 AM PST
W. A. H. says:
You know, i agree with you Marco. I think i heard something about having to buy merchandise for "exclusive" DLC codes or something like that.
But, that ending? That wasn't EA. EA's in it for the money. That ending was a DLC sales killer for a lot of people. Who wants to buy DLCs for a game that just punched you in the face?
That ending was all the writers.
I don't know if it was Drew Karpyshyn's idea or what, but it was just bad. And bringing in characters from the books didn't make sense. What if you hadn't read them? And if the ending of the game really irked you, did they seriously think you'd go buy them?
The only DLC I'd go for is one that would completely fix this mess of an idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012, 7:39:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012, 7:40:53 AM PST
Mumwaldee says:
They won't get another cent from me. And I will try to warn off as many friends as I can before they waste their money.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 8:52:20 AM PST
Mike S. says:
I absolutely loved the game, but the ending left something to be desired. I didn't mind the concept of it, but I'd like for them to have shown about a 20 or 30 minute cutscene that rapped everything up. Showed what impact your choices have had throughout the game and showed what impact your "final" choice has on your friends and the ME universe. I hope they release a DLC video (for free!!!!) or an animated short online or something. It was just a downer to feel that nothing you did mattered over the last 4 years with this game and that the ending just creates a million questions....I wanted answers!

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 12:14:06 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 2:09:03 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
You bought the M8 Assault Rifle replica?
Nice.
A little jealous about that.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 2:12:29 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
I agree, M. Squires. The game itself was good. I could have done without the rolling aspect, but the end was a total letdown. Why make a game of choices if none of your choices mattered in the end?
Anderson died, I couldn't stop it.
Shep died, I couldn't stop it.
There's no blue dialogue option BioWare could use on me to make this right.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 2:46:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012, 2:48:38 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
There's a pole up on BioWare's Forums:

1. Endings Suck, want a brighter one. 85 percent 9,440 votes
2. Endings are fine, we just want the Normandy stranded on Earth somewhere near Shepard.
12 percent with 1,308 votes.
3. Endings are fine. 3 percent with 314 votes.
Anyone gonna vote?
http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=633606&poll_id=28989

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 3:15:06 PM PST
RicoLen says:
First Dragon Age 2, now Mass Effect 3... the sequels to my 2 favorite games of all time were just... /sigh I'm just too depressed to be angry. I just KNEW that Dragon Age: Origins was the best video game ever, then I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 and ME2 proved me wrong. Mass Effect 2 was the best game ever. Then Dragon Age 2 render Origins pointless, and now Mass Effect 3 ruined it's trilogy as well.

I'll never buy a BioWare game on launch again. From now on I'll treat it like I do every other game I know nothing about. I'll wait, I research, and read the reviews. Blizzard is the only game maker I still trust. Thank god they don't work for EA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012, 4:21:15 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
Yeah, I just couldn't resist pulling the trigger on that one. I collect sci-fi/steampunk replica guns so when I heard about the M8....well, again I just couldn't resist. It was expensive but that's usually the case with items like these that have production runs of 500 or less. They are still available but I dont expect they will be for much longer.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 4:27:06 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
That's sharp. I hear they have a good weight to them too.
The overall disappointment of ME3 not withstanding, that would be cool to have.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 5:35:02 PM PST
Karen says:
DA2 didn't bother me. I could work with the endings even if I wasn't thrilled with them. I can't work with any of the ME3 endings. Added my vote to the poll. I'd pay for a dlc with a "good" solid hopeful ending. It would make the game re playable for me. I don't mind depressing, as long as there is also hope. ME3 just had depressing, no hope.

I'm was also a BioWare pre-order fan, who won't be pre-ordering again. Sad, I've lost my dependable game co. Even if the next game is great, I can't trust them any more.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 6:43:56 PM PST
Kelly Hanna says:
Interesting. As far as I'm concerned even if they changed the ending of the game, its spoiled for me. This was the ending of the series that Bioware intended, if they change it now, its only to placate the fanbase and would be selling out what integrity they have left.

Do we next change the end 'Of Mice and Men', so that everybody lives happily ever after and gets a cute puppy?

Believe me, I agree that there should have been choices to get a 'good' ending. Otherwise, why bother making a game wherein choices are so important, only to have it all taken away in the end.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 6:51:57 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
Mass Effect is not Of Mice and Men . . .
Although I think Lenny wrote the endings.
"I didn't mean to destroy the galaxy, George! I only wanted to pet the puppy! Everything's all burned up! Where am I gonna get ketchup for my beans, George? You know I hate my bean wit' no ketchup!"
Also, it didn't take me 30 hours of reading just to see Lenny get shot in the head.
I, too, would pay for a DLC for a "happier" ending.
Shepard deserved a better ending, the squad past and present deserved a better ending and the fans sure as hell paid for a better ending.
In my opinion, they're not selling out, they're repairing a mistake and keeping customers.
Yeah, think on that one EA.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 7:01:18 PM PST
Boub33 says:
This is bs I've played 1 and 2 and I liked both endings this ending better not suck and this stuff about needing multiplayer is total bs too companies need to stop focusing on multiplayer instead on the story and gameplay

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 7:05:23 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
You haven't finished it?
Do yourself a favor and try to refrain from kicking your television in.
If you liked how The Sopranos ended, well, maybe you'll like this.
If not . . .
TVs ARE expensive.
Just throw your controller.
That's what I did.
:)

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 8:13:43 PM PST
Kelly Hanna says:
Yeah, but this is the ending we got. Should it have been better? Should it have ended on a beach with Miranda and Ashley and maybe Liara bringing Shepard pina coladas until he gets bloated, turns purple and dies from alcohol poisoning? Should it have ended with Shepard repeatedly kicking Casey Hudson in the groinal area?

These would have been much better endings, I agree. Regrettably, Bioware stinks at endings.

If they did come out with dlc that provided a better ending, I'd like to to think that I could change my perspective and just view this ending as a mistake that they are now correcting. I dont think I could do it though. Dunno why not, I just dont think I could.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 8:20:37 PM PST
Foxdrake says:
how much do you think a "better" ending will cost?

2400 gamer points? 19.99? For a 10 minute ending of course...

Posted on Mar 10, 2012, 8:42:18 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
First of all, the game started out bad (story-wise). The game should have started out with the Reapers being detected on the fringe of the galaxy. Hell, earth was infested with the big metallic cockroaches before the Normandy even got off the ground.
Apparently, the devs at BioWare say you don't need to do multi-player to get the "perfect" ending. Lee says that there Military Strength is more important than the readiness factor. He also says it's the assets you collect and that there is more than enough assets to collect in the game to get you past the threshold.
I missed three missions because they're unclear as to where to go, or they're time-sensitive.
Three missed side missions gets you kacked?
And the "Perfect Ending" is nothing more than seeing Shepard's battered and bloody N7 chest plate rise with one gasp and fade to black.
Your team still got blown to a planet God-knows-where. Tali still regained a homeworld she can't get back to. Earth is burned to a crisp.
That's their idea of a perfect ending?
Rumors have been abounding that the end of the game was not the end of the game, but a hallucination by Shepard due to blood loss, and that there are add-ons to that part.
I don't know.
But, even if it's not true, BioWare should take that idea and run with it like their hair is on fire to fix this.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mass Effect 3 forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  292
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect 3 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
3.1 out of 5 stars (1,944)