Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 525 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 575 reviews
on May 31, 2017
I installed the game and have been playing it for a few days, I'm still in the very first missions. But here are some comments (so far):
(1) I installed it in a Windows 10 machine with "the works" (a game PC): dedicated graphics, plenty of RAM, etc. The origin software would not install at all. To get it going, first I went to EA and established an origin account and downloaded and installed origin. After a few reboots, I had the whole game (8-plus Gb) downloaded too, as it did not install from the CDs (I don't know why). But after it all installed, the game plays perfectly.
(2) About the game itself: it is VERY labor intensive. After all daily activities (job, home, etc), the few hours that I have I want to sit in front of the computer and just forget about everything else. But in this game there are so many controls that "just play it" is not an option. This is the main reason I am labeling it 3 stars. Example: there are a lot of weapons (as usual), but they all have upgrades for the weapons and the munitions that they use. Plus you can also upgrade the weapons and munitions of the platoon that works with you in the game (that is a LOT of options).
Summary: if you just want a "shoot them all", this is not the game for you. If you want a lot of commands and strategies ... enjoy.
on July 15, 2017
I ordered the 6-DVD box set over the instant download version because I knew this game was going to be rather large (about 10-15GB per game). I also wanted a hard copy so I could install it at anytime again in the future. Turns out that even though this game does come as a DVD box set, the disks are nearly useless. The reason for this is EA's ridiculous Origin software.

DISK INSTALLATION
================
When you install the game (either of the three titles), the first thing it will install is Origin. It's a client similar to Valve's Steam, nicely made, but with the fatal flaw that it doesn't much like disk based games. After Origin is installed (and updated to the latest version), you're prompted to redeem your game code in the box, making all available games to you as a download. You need an EA or Origin account to even install these, but it's easy to create one. Just know that without one, and without an internet connection, you won't play those games.

Once your code is redeemed you have exactly ONE CHANCE to install a SINGLE game from disk, namely the one you're installing right now. The other two must be downloaded, even though a disk install would be so much faster. That's because Origin won't let you get past the "redeem code" screen anymore - and any code that's already been used leads to an error message, effectively disallowing disk based installs. There's a long and lively discussion in the EA forums about how bad this is, started in 2012. Some five years later as I'm writing this review, the problem still persists and only got worse.

So the gist of the story is: even though you get a bunch of disks, you might as well throw them in the bin right after you receive them - or alternatively hunt around for a cheap and instant download code. I returned my disks and did just that.

WHAT ORIGIN DOES
=================
Once installed, the Origin client serves as a central location to launch the games. No need to use a Windows shortcut to patch the games anymore. Origin makes sure the games can be started without having to run them in compatibility mode or as administrator. It just works, at least on my system. Origin also saves your games in the cloud, so if you're playing across multiple systems, your saves are synced and secure. It also lets you chat with friends while you're online I think (I don't have any friends so I can't tell you more than what Origin told me).

THE GAMES
==========
The games are absolutely phenomenal and seem to work fine on my Windows 10 Pro setup with Creator's Update applied. No patching necessary. For reference, I have a Dual-Xeon HP Z600 rig with GTX 970 GPU and 20GB of RAM.

All games can be played in 1920x1080 at 60fps. Even higher resolutions are available if supported by your graphics card. On ME1 it took me a bit of digging to find how to achieve anything higher than 1200x800 though. Hint: it's the little arrow next to the resolution menu. I have played the PS3 version of the trilogy before, which pushed the console to its limits and looked extremely good in 720p. I can only say that compared to the PS3 version, the PC version is an absolute joy to experience: the higher resolution makes this an instant "remastered" version with ultra high textures, the animations are fluid, and the keyboard and mouse controls are instantly recognisable. The decisions wheel during conversions is the same, and the in-fight options bring up a menu bar instead of a wheel (it also pauses the gameplay, so all is well).

While there is no built-in way to use a gamepad, solutions such as Xpadder exist with which the controls can easily be mapped to your favourite pad. I'm using an Xbox 360 controller for Windows and have mapped the controls to match the PS3 version, and it works great. The only thing that may increase the difficulty level ever so slightly over the console version is looking around, which is faster using the mouse, and slower on a mapped gamepad, thus it can be a disadvantage during battle. The other thing are those puzzles in which you have to match dots to crack safes and open doors occasionally, but you get more time for those things in the PC version. Overall the same great gaming experience at much higher resolution. Highly recommended!

VERDICT
========
Whether you're a die-hard fan of the series or a newbie who's heard a lot about Mass Effect, by Jove get yourself a slice of the action today!

I'm not much into role playing games, but trust me that's just one small component of these games. You can choose to focus as much or as little on it as you wish. The series combines solid shooter action with a great and epic adventure game, brought together by an exceptional and gripping storyline that easily outdoes whatever they're thinking up in Hollywood these days. The voice cast lead by Martin Sheen as The Elusive Man is spot on, and you'll be dazzled by beautiful and mesmerising visuals throughout all three games (ME2 and ME3 especially).

As for gameplay, seemingly every level is completely different from the previous, I have yet to find an element of repetition in Mass Effect. The replay value is huge: try a new gender or race, open up new conversations, or be more renegade on the next playthrough. The occasional boss fight is a given of course, but it integrates so well into the gameplay that you hardly notice it as "outstandingly difficult". Oftentimes boss fights are ten times harder than the fight leading up to them, which can easily ruin the gameplay. Not so in Mass Effect. These games are well crafted, well tested, and it shows.

Now go and save our galaxy!
on July 24, 2015
The Mass Effect games are some of the best realized and written science fiction media out there. Through the course of the three games you'll encounter some of the most unique and charming personalities in gaming. You'll laugh at them, pity them, hate them, and maybe even love them. The writing and acting are superb for the great majority of the dozens of hours of gametime. The relationships with people, aliens, factions, and governments are the highlight of the games, and are sometimes unforgettable.

As Commander Shepard, you're given leeway in saving the galaxy mostly via your binary (trinary?) dialogue and action choices which let you equivocate, or be a paragon or renegade. Most will veer toward either paragon or renegade, since doing so leads to unique actions and can have otherwise impossible solutions be resolved by your innate goodness or total lack of tact. Other than the lack of incentive to choose options based on your own thoughts and feelings, as the games reward only extremism, the system suffers from being too transparent (the good and evil choices are a bit too obvious in their outcomes; a bit of Witcher ambitiousness in effect would be welcome here).

It should be noted that the mechanics of each game differ pretty significantly - these are three separate games whose choices and progress transfer over, but other than being a squad-based, third-person, shooter action RPG, they differ quite a bit in how exploration, combat, inventory management, skill progression, and weapon modification work. All the games are awesome, but don't expect them to feel especially cohesive.

As others have noted, most DLC is not included in this package. I don't like this and most don't. Adding the missing DLC significantly increases the cost of already quite old games that deserve a true complete package. On the other hand, none of it is essential to the story, though a few (Shadow Broker and Citadel, most notably) really add to it and provide you with more memorable moments with characters that you may have grown very attached to.

On the music front, it took me a while to appreciate it, but the Mass Effect trilogy has a wonderful soundtrack.

The first game looks pretty dated out of the box. I suggest going to the ini file to adjust the textures at a minimum -

Open %USERPROFILE%\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Config\BioEngine.ini
Replace the following three lines:

TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)

...with these lines:

TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
Other ways to improve the games can be found online, like controller support (which I've really enjoyed).

There's been much outcry about the trilogy's ending (as with many series - they're bound to end in a way that doesn't fit with what much of the audience expects to be appropriate), but I found it a profound commentary that fit with the overall message of the games: an individual can change the universe through actions and attitudes, but there are many individuals with strong wills and some things can't be prevented. We live with the illusion of control, and the proof that we don't really have it, everyday. I feel like this series smacks you in the face with that fact by the end.

In short. This is essential gaming for the memorable events, places, and characters with lasting choices (that don't prevent the inevitable) and varied, solid tactical gameplay. It's without most DLC and the games don't play or look the same.
on March 24, 2017
Bought thinking it's was just like a standard CD ROM type of thing WRONG!!!!! YOU HAVE to down load through Oragin. The disks are NOTHING!!!! Even the Oragin ON the disk is wrong!!!! I love the game but what I had to go through to GET the game to work... it literally took me like 30-45 min on the phone to EA to get my problems resolved as stupid Oragin keep telling me I wasn't connected to the Internet when I clearly WAS!!! I didn't start the down load process of the games till almost 9:00 p.m CDT (GMT -5 HRS) it was sold as a box set but all you need is the code on the paper the disks are USELESS!!!!!
on April 3, 2017
Not the sellers fault but these games were designed with console in mind, meaning everything plays much better with controller. Unfortunately Bioware didnt think to complete the controller support they started designing for ANY of these games. Great games but Id get them on the xbox 360 that way you could play them on there or the 1. If you have a playstation thats your own fault sony sucks now. Another thing to keep in mind is this set does not have all of the dlcs including some pretty important ones. Again not the sellers fault. Also a tip for the people who do still want to get this for computer, download Origin online before downloading these games, the Origin app that the game will download is outdated and will not allow you to play any of the games without the updated version which you can only get online. Another stupid design by bioware if you dont have internet. Furthermore if you can temporarily get internet access download all 3 games and play all 3 games because if you dont sign into your EA account within the game none of the dlcs you do get with the game will work and to be honest once you dc from the internet Im not sure if they will as well
on March 27, 2017
With the release of ME: Andromeda being so controversial, I decided that I wanted to play through the original trilogy. I didn't own it anymore and decided to purchase it digitally on Amazon. Of course the product goes through Origin, which you find out before you purchase it. It's not ideal but I was determined to relive the adventure regardless of the platform I was forced to use.
There were a couple things I didn't bother to research. The first is the games DO NOT support controllers. There are ways for you to install mods to make controllers work which is a plus, however having no support out the gate was slightly irritating. The second thing is it doesn't come with nearly any DLC. Sure it comes with a few from ME2, however you do not get any of the extra characters, missions, or actual content for free. You must purchase them from Origin once you've got that installed.
In essence, 3 stars because the game is good, but only 3 because there's no DLC.
on March 16, 2014
There seems to be some issue with downloading and installing the game and it's client, Origin. I have spent hours trying to download, reinstall and just get the game going. Originally my problem was getting the first game, Mass Effect to run. After searching the web for a reason why the game wouldn't run, I found several sites that pointed to a patch that I needed to install. Unfortunately, trying to install the patch was a no go.

Next, I tried to contact EA. I would have preferred to send an email but they say they have a 35-40 minute wait to chat with someone. It's Sunday and I'm not even sure they are really open.

My next issue came when I closed my Origin client and tried to open it again. Did not work. I'm not sure what the problem is but if I need Origin to play the game then maybe I would have been better off, buying the discs or just getting it through Steam. I'm still on hold so maybe someone is working today but I'm not going to hold my breath about getting this fixed.

**UPDATE**
Spoke with a customer service rep from EA. After an hour on hold, another hour going over my account, deleted the game (Mass Effect is the problem), creating a legacy account through Pogo.com and then another hour plus reinstalling the game, it still doesn't work.

When I talked to the rep she said it was the first game that was the problem and while I can get as far as clicking play in the Origin client and getting to the Mass Effect launcher, the game still won't run. I think I'm just going to call it day and forget about downloading anything from EA ever again. I've seen all the reports from others about the problems they've been having and it's just not worth the aggravation.
on February 11, 2017
Bought this for windows 7, tried to install and encountered various issues with installation. After perhaps 5 hours of troubleshooting online could not figure out nature of problem and never was able to install (there are many complaints online regarding EA game compatibility and customer service). Will not be buying any EA games for PC after this experience
on July 18, 2016
These games are worth five stars (yes, even the third one). The reason I'm giving this three stars is that it doesn't contain most of the DLC for 2 and 3. Several of the missing DLC packs for ME2 are extremely important to the overall story (Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival) and the DLC packs for ME3 make it objectively easier to get the "good" ending (Leviathan, Omega, Extended Cut). There are also DLC-only characters that you'll want to use.

At least on PC, where I play, the DLC almost never goes on sale, so you'll be buying it all for more or less full price.

So, if you want to get the WHOLE package with the entire story - and trust me, you don't want to miss anything in this story - you'll actually be spending not only $30 on the base games but also at least another $70 on the DLC. So that's $100 total.

Now, to be fair, $100 for the whole trilogy is not actually the worst value proposition I've ever seen. Including all the DLC, you're probably looking at 130-140 hours for a complete playthrough of the trilogy, and the different classes and diverging storylines mean there's a lot of replayability here.

So, to me, $100 for 140+ hours of one of the best games ever is not necessarily a bad deal. It's just not the deal the package being sold here promises you. So, in the end, I do actually recommend buying this - but be aware of what you're actually buying.

Anyway, as to the actual content of these games, I will make a list of pros and cons:

Cons:
-ManShep
-Kaiden
-Zaeed
-Planet Scanning
-Vehicles

Pros:
-FemShep
-Steve
-Samantha
-Liara
-Wrex
-Samantha
-Joker
-Garrus
-Tali
-Princess Bride references
-Martin Sheen
-Slamming (in more than one way)
-Aria
-Playing strategy games with Samantha
-Playing "strategy games" with Samantha
-Space hamster
on January 1, 2016
This was probably my most doubtful purchase I've ever made.
However, that wasn't the case after I played the game.
My doubts were gone. Forever

Incredible story telling
Characters that feel more real than actual people
Galaxy so well constructed
Unbelievably detailed explanation of history, technology, etc.

I hate si-fi genre, movie, game, book it doesn't really mater.
But this ... is an exception that I will only have.
Only downside is the ending of the 3rd game, but I say I'm going to praise bioware for their creation of this game. Since I don't think 10 minute can ruin a 90+ hour experience.

Now I can't sleep cause of the announcement of Mass Effect Andromeda.
Gosh, I have to wait for another year.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.