Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 9, 2012
I read this in one sitting. I was hooked from the very first paragraph.

If many of my Kindle reads (the ones I don't bother to review) are Hershey bars, this one's high quality dark chocolate - the kind where you have one small piece and your inner chocolate fiend is satisfied.

Taken down to the bare bones, the story itself isn't all that surprising or unique. It's the way the story is told that elevates this book. The voice is quiet, without self-pity or hysteria. The narrator is unflinchingly honest with herself and does not blame others for the consequences of the life she has chosen.

It is hard to find words for the quality of the prose. I can't say it was "fun" to read, but I was completely absorbed in the story. The writing isn't "pretty" or "charming," but it is strong, compelling and evocative. I marked several passages that I particularly appreciated. I had a hard time coming up with examples to quote because several of the ones I marked are about a paragraph long.

"The man sitting in one of the cracked plastic chairs raised a magazine of unsurprising subject matter up to hide his face" - it's the "unsurprising subject matter" that makes the sentence. It says so much with so little.

"I wish that it had been more difficult, that it would have been less natural..." This passage (which I am not quoting completely) conveys a lot about Abby in a subtle way.

"The first was how far I would go if the landscape stretched out before me and I had no one to hold me back. The second was how much I would charge to go there." This could almost be a concise summary of the book. Abby is intensely aware of her journey downwards, but she is also practical about what can be gained as a result.

I appreciated the fact that Abby was able to learn from her experiences. She has painful experiences, both physical and emotional, but she gains knowledge from them and makes decisions based on what she's learned. She doesn't whine that she "doesn't have a choice" or that she's "abused" or that she shouldn't be judged; she matter-of-factly accepts her role, her status, and that she has made decisions that placed herself there, although not without a few misgivings and pangs along the way.

I did find a few errors and I'm including them here in case the author wishes to correct them. They were infrequent and did not diminish my enjoyment of the book overall:
"this particular threshold lied" (lay)
"a nickname that leant itself" (lent)
"but war none-the-less" (nonetheless)
"a client name Hal" (named)
"I grinded" (ground)
"Kim still had surrender" (surrendered)
"I have Hepatitis" (hepatitis)
2 people found this helpful
on January 6, 2013
This is a truly compelling novel that will hold your attention from the first page all the way through to the end. In this gripping novel you will be exploring the seedy side of New York City and China Town as a desperate young woman ends up working in prostitution.

The characters in this novel are well-developed and the story is very intriguing. Once you start reading this book you'll surely find it a difficult book to put down. This is not a short read, either, like so many e-books that are published these days. This is a lengthy book that will keep you entertained for hours, or maybe even days...depending on how fast you read.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ending to this story (I'm not giving it away...no spoilers). Let's just say it leaves me anxious for the next installment in this series.
on January 25, 2012
I didn't expect much when I ordered this book, but I'm very glad I bought it. It was well written and intelligent, the characters were well depicted, the tale held my interest wonderfully - I had to read it in one sitting, not all that hard to do. What made such an impact on me was the grittiness, the hard edge of society, of personalities and of choices that had to be made. It will surprise you, it might even shock you but it will definitely entertain you. I even liked that it was not your typical HEA story. Now I can't wait until I get book 2 of the series.
Congratulations Ms. Easton, I'm not easily impressed, but you have done so in spades.
on July 2, 2013
Great smooth writing. Told in the first person, the reader feels like she is coming along for the ride. Interesting and believable premise with fantastic character development. Five stars!
on August 15, 2013
I really wish this story was longer I think there was so much more that could have been told. Loved it !~
on January 5, 2013
This was an interesting story about a young woman who, through desperation, ends up involved in prostitution. Like the other reviewers have stated. this book will hold your interest from the start. The view of Abby is interesting and insightful and it is hard to put the book down because you keep wanting to know what happens next. This is an interesting read with an ending that makes reading the book worthwhile.
on January 6, 2013
You know the feeling when you read a great book or play a video game that gets you hooked so much that you miss your dinner or even important appointments? I had that long time ago when I played warcraft as a teenager :) until I bought this book! After reading each chapter, I was drooling to find out what's in the next one. I just loved the somewhat seedy and mysterious settings of underground NYC and Chinatown. The Masseuse sucked me in to the point that I felt I was part of the story. For my hectic lifestyle, that is pretty rare.